Insomnia, Wheelarches & Headlights in Europe

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2011, 03:33 AM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insomnia, Wheelarches & Headlights in Europe

Morning all. Sat here unable to sleep so thought I'd post the following,

First. Took my 56 plate to the "Polish" car wash today (actually I think they're from Iraq?) the rubber trim from round the rear wheel-arch came off with the power-washer. I've looked around at photos on here and realized a lot of cars don't have 'em on. What purpose do they serve? Do they fall off regularly? I don't remember my old GX sport having them. The end of it looks blown out with damage/rust. what's best to stick it back? Should I stick it back?

Other side still on here...

Second. Is there a switch/lever to change the HID dip beam lights for European driving? The manual says nowt about it, the beam looks dead level and I'm loathed to use beam benders as the damn things don't come off easily after a fortnight. I know VW and Opal/Vauxhall have switches/levers.

As a kicker Several European countries require spare bulbs for all lights to be carried. Now I don't fancy changing the HID bulb myself, they cost a bomb and use stupidly high voltages (85V) don't they? The manual says to get the dealer to do it.

Any thoughts on either issue?

Last edited by Gilesdwrc; 19 June 2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 19 June 2011, 05:50 AM
muttleyturbo
Scooby Regular

On classics I know it was a UK car thing only and not found on imports (to my knowledge, not 100% sure though).

They are used to help prevent salt/water/grime into the seam of the arch to prevent...

However it is debatable whether they do more harm and good as moisture and grime that does get behind it will sit in there making it nirvana for rust to form.

As long as you remove them from time to time and give it a good clean out they are good to use, however a good under seal / waxyoyl would be just as, if not more effective.
Old 19 June 2011, 07:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

AFAIK, there is no lever to dip left/right. Are you sure the beams have no cutoff? (ie: they don't flick up slightly to the left?)
Old 19 June 2011, 11:36 AM
Gilesdwrc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
AFAIK, there is no lever to dip left/right. Are you sure the beams have no cutoff? (ie: they don't flick up slightly to the left?)
I can't see one to speak of but I haven't put it nose it a wall yet, just what I've seen from driving.
Old 19 June 2011, 01:53 PM
Chrish_WRX
Scooby Regular

I dont think they do from what i remember...Also not all Vauxhalls have the lever... My old 06' Astra SRi turbo 200 defo didnt have them