ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2011, 09:45 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie

Hi guys,
My names Ollie, I'm 26 and live in sunny Carlisle.... (by sunny i mean soaking!)
I currently own a Golf VR6 which i've had for 4 and a bit years and she's been my baby! Fairly modified (tastefully of course, no essence of Hellfraud universal exhausts and plastic bodykits here!) and used as weekend toy. But whilst waiting for a tow truck to come pick her up after blowing a 3rd CV joint an owner of a local pub came outside and offered my 2.5k for her!

With getting old and sick of the uncomfortable Konig K5000 seats, lowered and stiffened suspension and LOUD straight through exhaust giving me a headache constantly I decided it was time to up grade to something more reliable, more comfortable and more power right out the box!
This is where my dilemma arises! I have found 2 blobeye WRX STI's in 2 seperate garages local to me:

1 is a 53 plate, 53k miles, 5 owners, FSSH, cambelt recently changed, IMMACULATE inside and out and got PPP fitted, only thing i'd change are the wheels as im on the standard wheels fitted and the cheap tyres also fitted. The car used to belong to my mates father and was only used as a weekend toy and i know he really looked after it. Prior to that it was owned by a chap who, when he washed it, removed the wheels etc to really make sure it was clean! Its a Subaru dealer selling it so they will service it (due 1st september), 12 months MOT, tax and 12 months warranty. The owner of the garage said he'd do it for £8350 (but as i wasnt willing to commit to the sale there and then I reckon I could get it down to a nice flat £8000!)

The 2nd car is a 54 plate, 51720 miles, 3 owners, service history missing from 7730k to 43400k (Subaru serviced when it was serviced), no details of any work done (cambelt etc), no PPP and its a Mini dealership selling it so they know F all about the car but would do it for £8750 including front end respray (stone chips and some bumper rash ), 50,000 mile service, 10 months tax and MOT and 12 months warranty.

So i need you're knowledgable advice which car to go for! Obviously the first car seems to suggest it should be more reliable but I prefer the centre console on the 54 plate and also its got DCCD (but do i really need this? Read through the guide on here and guessing not really lol). So chaps, 53 plate, 53k miles, £8350 max or £400 more for a 54 plate, 51k miles
Old 18 July 2011, 09:56 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Best thing to do first is get an insurance quote on both, see how much difference there is between them, both seem ok, the MY05 car with the A-DCCD and facelifed/wider track is the better car, even better is a JDM STI but these are quite rare and normally cost more (but produce more power)

Tony
Old 18 July 2011, 10:08 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Welcome
Best thing to do first is get an insurance quote on both, see how much difference there is between them, both seem ok, the MY05 car with the A-DCCD and facelifed/wider track is the better car, even better is a JDM STI but these are quite rare and normally cost more (but produce more power)

Tony
Cheers matey.
Yer after having a bit read through the site I kinda figured the 54 plate was the better car but its just the lack of knowledge from the dealer selling the car and the missing history thats putting me off slightly. At least I know the 53 plate has been well looked maintained and serviced by the dealer selling it most of its life so they know the car and know of any issues its had.
Didnt realise there would be much of a difference insurance wise, best quote ive had on the 53 plate was £1120 through comparethemarket. But will get a quote for the 54 plate as well, cheers .
Guess the 3rd option would be to wait and see if I can find a MY05 car complete with FSSH...but I'm an impatient bugger lol!
Old 18 July 2011, 10:11 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pistonheads is your friend www.pistonheads.co.uk though my last 2 cars have been in excess of 200 miles from home, you have to travel sometimes for the car of your dreams

Tony
Old 18 July 2011, 10:57 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

FML epic school boy error there, totally forgot ALL about PH!! You're right though, it is proving to be my friend!
Oh yer I dont mind travelling for the right car, I went to Sussex for the Golf when I bought her! 700 odd mile round trip lol!
Old 28 February 2012, 07:11 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I notice your from carlisle mate, Pop yourself onto www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk we are a local owners club in cumbria.
Old 29 February 2012, 07:32 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

8k plus for both of those cars sounds a bit much....

Graham Dove in West Mids Imprezas is selling a gorgeous blob, in black for 6500. Its been looked after and is a steal for that price. Of course you dont get the extras that the garage is throwing in, like warranty etc... but with 1500 in your pocket, that would cover anything that needed changing and i dont think anything does.

Go into club section and West Mids Imprezas and ask in the general section about graham's car for sale.

Trending Topics

Old 29 February 2012, 07:32 AM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

its an sti of course
Old 29 February 2012, 08:25 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
8k plus for both of those cars sounds a bit much....

Graham Dove in West Mids Imprezas is selling a gorgeous blob, in black for 6500. Its been looked after and is a steal for that price. Of course you dont get the extras that the garage is throwing in, like warranty etc... but with 1500 in your pocket, that would cover anything that needed changing and i dont think anything does.

Go into club section and West Mids Imprezas and ask in the general section about graham's car for sale.
Cheers fella but the Impreza hunt is on the back burner for the time being as there is a possibility I might be made redundant next week, happy days lol!
Also, should things go my way and I keep my job, I'm looking for either a blue or white (if I can find a nice one!) JDM spec Hawkeye now after doing a bit more reading through the site.
Cheers for the help though buddy
Old 29 February 2012, 08:26 AM
oliVeR6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
I notice your from carlisle mate, Pop yourself onto www.cumbrianscoobs.co.uk we are a local owners club in cumbria.
Will have a look mate cheers