ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

NCB on two cars different policies

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2011, 10:24 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default NCB on two cars different policies

I'm currently using my 8 years NCB on my everyday runner/work horse (1.4 honda civic) £600 fully comp.

Looking at purchasing an 07 wrx. Best quote I got was with RAC £1535 fully comp taking into account 8 years NCB. I know it's not allowed to use NCB on two cars unless they are both under a multi car policy. So I rang AXA and they quoted me £1500 for the scoob and £700 for the civic with a multi car discount and using my 8years NCB on both cars. However I would have to either pay both via monthly Direct Debit which turned out to be £283 per month pushing the total up to £3400 for the year or one off payment upfront of £2200 with a one of payment discount.

Now I refuse to pay £200+ a month for the insurance and can't really afford to pay the whole lump sum upfront. I've already paid for the civic for the year and deff need it pretty much 5 days a week. The scooby is for a fun weekend car.

It would be ok if I could simply take out a separate policy with the RAC however i can't use the 8 years then.

My question is simple, how would the insurance company know whether I'm using the NCB with another insurer anyway? In the result of a claim how would they check the NCB and whether it was being used else where? Is it a silly risk to take or do people do it all the time anyway?
Old 18 July 2011, 10:48 PM
leecalcars
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£3400 for a years insurance i cringe at paying £370 for my daily runner 1.6 astra and used to pay £480 for the scoob so both less than a grand with full NCB.

It must be your postcode where in the country do you live ?

And age !
Old 18 July 2011, 11:13 PM
bigredrob
Scooby Regular

try admiral, multicar policy, works for me!!
Old 18 July 2011, 11:22 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try here Gary@Moley WRX,because that's price is just ridiculous.

Jura
Old 19 July 2011, 06:20 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I was in a similar situation when I got my wrx. I had all my ncd on my daily driver. I spoke to a few of the brokers on here and some of them gave me so many years discount based on it, mirroring I think they call it. I went with sky (brokers) and simpy got a letter from direct line confirming that I had the ncd and that it was in use on the policy. Perhaps see if you can get something similar although it all depends on your circumstances I guess.

I used to do customer service in insurance and the way they find out about your ncd is that they will probably ask for your proof on ncd. We never released this until the policy was cancelled.

PS AXA £2200 for the year or £3400 by installments. Thats ferckin ridiculous, thats over 50% more for paying monthly! The APR must huge!
Old 19 July 2011, 09:43 AM
wieczor25
Scooby Regular

Get yourself one of those 0% APR credit cards , i have one from Tesco,paid for my insurance in full using it ,now paying it off without paying any interest
Old 19 July 2011, 12:29 PM
skyinsurance
Former Sponsor

You need an insurer who can 'mirror' your NCB over to the second car.

Try the Scoobynet insurers.

Trending Topics

Old 19 July 2011, 07:22 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt2732
Hi mate, I was in a similar situation when I got my wrx. I had all my ncd on my daily driver. I spoke to a few of the brokers on here and some of them gave me so many years discount based on it, mirroring I think they call it. I went with sky (brokers) and simpy got a letter from direct line confirming that I had the ncd and that it was in use on the policy. Perhaps see if you can get something similar although it all depends on your circumstances I guess.

I used to do customer service in insurance and the way they find out about your ncd is that they will probably ask for your proof on ncd. We never released this until the policy was cancelled.

PS AXA £2200 for the year or £3400 by installments. Thats ferckin ridiculous, thats over 50% more for paying monthly! The APR must huge!
Yeah total bollocks, never ever claimed in my whole life or even have a single point. I'm a 30year old teacher who would be using the scooby maybe 1 or twice a week.
Old 19 July 2011, 07:25 PM
morpheus1870
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt2732

I have the proof in a renewal letter from my previous insurer, the daft thing is that I had an evo 6 last year which only cost me £700 fully comp to insure with the mrs on it from axa, but now they want to bum me for some reason?