ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

SIDC Membership

Search this Thread

Old 26 March 2001, 06:35 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Dudes, I sent me application form off ages ago and I ain't heard nothing yet. Does it normally take 3 weeks +?

Mikey
Old 26 March 2001, 06:52 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mikey,

Drop Lisa an e-mail on lisa@sidc.co.uk .

She should be able to tell you how much longer you'll have to wait.

Taken from
Old 26 March 2001, 06:53 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Mike

ScoobyNet is not connected with SIDC. You can contact them at
Old 26 March 2001, 08:41 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Sent mine 3 weeks ago, got it back just over a week later....... no problems.

Perhaps yours didn't get there??

Drop them e-mail and see....
Old 26 March 2001, 11:19 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Matt

Scoobynet has "evolved" from the original sidc BBS.

However allthough many Scoobynet members are SIDC members aswell and many SIDC events/topics are discussed here there is no formal/legal connection. Mr de Banke (Sir! ) now runs it as fully fledged .com business (We're all still waiting for our share options ) which is why we now get all the extra goodies like the shop etc.

Dean

[This message has been edited by dsmith (edited 27 March 2001).]
Old 27 March 2001, 12:00 AM
SIDC
Scooby Newbie

Hi Mikey

Like (the other) Lee says, buzz Lisa an email with your details, she can tell you whether or not you have been "processed"

The stickers have undergone a redesign and are coming from a new supplier. We have been told that we will have them this week (wouldn't hold your breath though) and then the packs will go out.

Have you had the recent copy of True Grip ? Has your cheque been cashed ? etc..

cheers
Lee.
Old 27 March 2001, 07:26 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Simon de Banke:
<B>ScoobyNet is not connected with SIDC.[/quote]

Si,

I thought that it was....I thought that Scoobynet is "our" (SIDC's) BBS MK 2??????

Matt.
Old 27 March 2001, 07:57 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Question

If the stickers are getting a new design, do we all get new ones????
Old 27 March 2001, 08:13 AM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Matt

I don't follow mate?

Cheers

Simon
Old 27 March 2001, 09:48 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Simon de Banke:
<B>Matt

I don't follow mate?

Cheers

Simon[/quote]

Si,

I thought that the SIDC's original BBS was shut down due to some sort of potential legal issues? (and possibly due to the guy that ran it no longer had time or something like that?)

I also thought that Scoobnet was kind of the SIDC's 2nd stab at a linked-but-distanced BBS??? No????? Am I talking pants?????

Matt.
Old 27 March 2001, 10:20 AM
ChrisB

Matt,

Most likey, Yes.

Chris.
Old 27 March 2001, 10:49 AM
Gary Foster
Scooby Regular

Mutant Matt

Eh ? Simon runs Scoobynet off his own back and out of his own pocket, there is no connection with SIDC whatsoever (except that a lot of people on here happen to be SIDC members)

Same goes for Scoobynet 1 (although that was run by Phil I think - my memory !!)

Gary

Ps Simon, maybe given the number of newer Scoobynet members it may be an idea to clarify this on the site somehow ?
Old 27 March 2001, 12:35 PM
ex-webby
Orange Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Chaps

That's right...

SIDC originally set up a BBS. It was then decided that they did not want to run it any more (About 2 1/2 years ago I think?) and Phil Daws (father of the real scoobynet) took it over as a commercial site.

He then handed the reins to me last year and along with the fabulous moderators, and the people who work with me, we've added the shop, re-activated chat, added My.ScoobyNet.co.uk upped the hardware and bandwidth to cope with the enormous traffic we now receive, and put a more commercial grounding behind it to ensure that it always stays free of charge to its members and continues to grow.

This is perhaps a nice point to mention something...

When I took over scoobynet I made a promise to myself that I would NEVER do ANYTHING that was a detriment to the community. ScoobyNet would ALWAYS be free of charge and the very first priority is to the community it supports, and that makes it what it is...

I made an additional promise that I would make it financially viable so it was self supporting and earned enough money to allow investment back into itself to add other benefits.

The way I decided this should happen would be to leave scoobynet as it is, so that no money comes from it, but ADD, additional offers of services which are completely optional but allow the site to be self funding.

We have achieved this in many ways.

But still need to cover the costs of people working on it.

Apart from the moderators (to whom I am eternally grateful... and so should you be!!! ), scoobynet requires about 5 - 7 hours of my time a day (7 DAYS A WEEK!), and about 7 - 8 hours of one other person's time (except weekends). This does not include accounts, etc. ScoobyNet cannot afford to support this time as yet, but will do eventually.

As an indication of how commited we are to this...

We could easily turn over the advertising to an agency. This would almost instantly give us at least 10 times the income we are seeing from the banners at present.

We have SERIOUSLY contemplated it, as it would pay for all the time and effort we are putting in immediately. but...

This would potentially be detrimental to the community as it would enforce a higher rate of advertising on the companies that have always supported us, and are therefore part of the community.

It's great to have everyone's support.. do you think it's worth writing up something like the above and adding it from a link on the main www page?

All the best

Simon

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 27 March 2001).]
Old 27 March 2001, 01:22 PM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Simon,

I would agree....similar comment would be good at the front end

All the best

Tom
Old 27 March 2001, 01:46 PM
JohnS

Scoobynet did originally start off as the SIDC BBS, back in October 1998 (can I really remember that far back ??).

Phil Daws was the SIDC webmaster/IT committee member at the time, and provided the service free of charge to the club.

However, so successful was the BBS, that it soon needed much more bandwidth than was available, and was having a detrimental effect on the other websites hosted by Phil, who paid for their services. Various things were tried to limit the bandwidth, with limited success.

I think around mid-99, the BBS was switched off, to enable Phil's commercial websites to work successfully.

At the AGM in 1999, the club offered to pay Phil for the bandwidth required to run the BBS and website etc., but Phil declined, saying he would rather have it free for members. His proposal was to move the BBS onto another service (now called Scoobynet), which would be a commercial venture, and hopefully be self financing through advertising etc, and this was accepted by those present at the AGM.

Shortly afterwards, bbs.scoobynet.co.uk came into existance and everyone was happy again However, Scoobynet does require a lot of bandwidth, and a lot of effort to maintain and look after, and following some legal discussions regarding some allegations made on the BBS, Phil decided that Scoobynet (which had always made a substantial loss up to that point) was taking up too much of his limited time, and sadly closed it down again.

I think at some point in between, it was closed down for a while due to the lack of advertising, and ever increasing bandwidth costs, but a remarkable effort by some members saw a lot more advertisers come on board, and the system was up and running again.

When it was closed last year for the reasons mentioned above, Simon came to the rescue, and underwrote the losses for a while, whilst expanding the range of services available, and attracting new advertisers. Along with the new shop, I think (hope) Scoobynet is now self financing, with the profits being used to finance improvements and expansion.

I have a poor memory at times, but I think the above is reasonably correct.
Old 27 March 2001, 05:46 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Crikey

I didn't realise all that malarchy went on before this!

Well in that case, well done to all involved and THANKS A MILLION for our free BBS

MIKEY
Old 27 March 2001, 05:47 PM
Lee
Scooby Regular

poor memory John - you are kidding surely

yes thats about it. If you go back and follow the minutes of old meetings the committee offered to pay Phil for the expense of running a BBS but Phil kindly turned it down, saying it was his contribution to the club. When the costs started to get out of hand Phil decided that the BBS could rightly stand its own as a commercial venture. I think perhaps a combination of underestimation of costs and the time/aggro involved in running it led to Phil finally "handing in the keys".

One of the comments I have heard time and time again is that the SIDC snubbed the board and wanted nothing to do with it - whilst we are on this subject a good opportunity to set the record straight... it was a number of factors that contributed to this wrong view..
1. a certain ex-committee member wanted nothing to do with the internet in any shape or form, this obviously rubbed off in conversations.
2. the BBS, despite its success is viewed in very poor light by the boys at IM. I guess in their eyes we would all purchase our UK spec cars from UK showrooms and never trackday them.
3. when Phil resigned from the SIDC and the BBS became independant, the SIDC had no control over it. Therefore to "affiliate" with the board could have been risky - anyone can say anything which may backfire.

So a combination really, there was certainly no malice on either side.

Now Simon has done a purrfect job of making the system pay for itself. Congrats :-)

wow. we are getting old

Just like to add, that those are my personal opinions and in this light I don't speak for the club. yarn over
Old 27 March 2001, 05:57 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by webmaster:
<B>It's great to have everyone's support.. do you think it's worth writing up something like the above and adding it from a link on the main www page?[/quote]

Phew - that must have taken you a while to type Si...

Yes, I think a statement somewhere from the front page would be a good idea.

Matt
Old 27 March 2001, 06:01 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I'm with Matt on this one

Well done all the folk that volunteer their time and money into this BBS

GOOD WORK FELLAS!

Andy
Old 27 March 2001, 08:06 PM
555 BOY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yeah got to agree,Cheers to everyone involved & keep up the good work,
Old 29 March 2001, 05:25 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

That aside, Still not heard owt and LISA must hate me cos she'e not replied either

OHHH WOE IS ME

Nah only kidding

I presume the hold up is the Sticker malarchy?

MIKEY
Old 29 March 2001, 08:53 PM
paul w
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Mikey,
Got the same prob as you, cheque was cashed on the 6th march and i've heard nowt.
Old 29 March 2001, 11:43 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by webmaster:
<B>Hi Chaps

scoobynet requires about 5 - 7 hours of my time a day (7 DAYS A WEEK!),

Simon

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited 27 March 2001).][/quote]

Hey, SDB, that's nearly as much time as AWD spends posting in working hours.......

PS - and thanks for prividing a forum where I can express my considerable talents of Muppeteering.....

Old 29 March 2001, 11:48 PM
chiark
Scooby Regular

If we made Dave and Mr C pay per post, then Scoobynet would rapidly become self funding

Your post would definitely be worth putting as a permanent link somewhere prominent as a "mission statement" type thing.

There again, perhaps I've been working with large corporations too long
Old 29 March 2001, 11:54 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wink

Chiark
Most big corporations totally disregard their mission statements when it suits them - at least SDB is more likely to keep to his!!!

PS - Pay to Post -
Old 30 March 2001, 09:17 AM
Lee
Scooby Regular

Stickers, stickers, stickers. Sticki Pete were art thou stickers

Lisa has been bombarded this week and has tonnes of emails to sift through.

Patience is a virtue :-)