Just how strong are Imprezas

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2011, 11:15 AM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just how strong are Imprezas

Hey all,

as title really, just how strong are Imprezas in particular bugeye Sti PPP.

I currently have a MY95 Classic WRX which I have owned for just over 2 years now. These two years have been pretty much problem free apart from general maintance. This car is up for sale at the moment and I am thinking of getting a Bug Sti PPP.

Alot of my friends have Skylines and they are forever telling my Impreza gear boxes are made of chocolate and the engine is made from lego etc etc

I have just read a thread about someones engine blowing and it got me thinking just how strong are imprezas.

I am looking for a fast road weapon probably aim for 400-450bhp (eventually) in the bug, I know that is going to take a while. But I dont want to always have the feeling it could let go at any moment.

Whats peoples thoughts on the matter, are Imprezas really as bad as what I am being told?

Cheeky link to my car which is for sale
https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...assic-wrx.html
http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3246327.htm
Old 23 October 2011, 11:29 AM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

STi so 6 speed are pretty strong, weak part is part of the linkage which i've known fail. Engine as long as warmed up/cooled are fine with general maintenance, i'm running a JDM STI engine @ circa 400 bhp with the only problems been some dodgey wiring in my cars past.

Oh and if its the thread about on the way back from the tunnel run he suffered boost spike which is problems he'd been having and it seems it peaked to over 2 bar which killed it in his later posts.

Last edited by birchy2010; 23 October 2011 at 11:30 AM.
Old 23 October 2011, 11:33 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Newage STI are very good buddy. They come with a 6 speed for starters which is as strong as ****. The 'chocolate' saying refers to early gearboxes which are prone to giving up.
The newage STI also had a very strong engine. Semi closed deck block and is known to be safe at circa 400. You'll even find people running them at 500.
Old 23 October 2011, 11:51 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think there is always an element of risk when modding cars, that said scoobs do represent the best bang for buck out there and as long as you treat them right and do it right they are as good as anything else.

Bug sti is a good base for 450bhp, i would not bother paying the extra for one with ppp as you will be getting rid of the lot if your going for 400+ better off buying a standard sti and mod with the extra cash saved.

If your classic is good i would hang fire a while save some more pennies and go for an 05 jdm sti as that will make the figures your after much easier and cheaper in the long run
Old 23 October 2011, 12:01 PM
stevie1982
Scooby Regular

Try and pick up a JDM bug Sti, they are meant to have the strongest engine out of the factory, plus the six speed box and brembo's you can't go wrong. Tweak the suspension, give it a little lower stance, fit a prodrive front bumper then slam on a new litchfield or scoobyclinic Billet twin scroll and supporting mods and away you go. Imo the bug sti (if you can live with the looks) is one if not the best base impreza to start with and they can be had at a great price to!
Old 23 October 2011, 12:14 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys I appricate all the comments! I used to hate the bugeye looks when I first got into scoobys however over time I have come to love the looks, plus I like the fact there is not as many as other models

I want the prodrive styling pack so I might end up not getting the pop bit get an sti with just the prodrive styling
Old 23 October 2011, 12:35 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by stevie1982
Try and pick up a JDM bug Sti, they are meant to have the strongest engine out of the factory, plus the six speed box and brembo's you can't go wrong. Tweak the suspension, give it a little lower stance, fit a prodrive front bumper then slam on a new litchfield or scoobyclinic Billet twin scroll and supporting mods and away you go. Imo the bug sti (if you can live with the looks) is one if not the best base impreza to start with and they can be had at a great price to!
The bug JDM does have pukka forged pistons however it is single scroll not twin. That said the SC billet range in single scroll are producing awesome results with a splash of meth.
To the OP, go for it mate! The newage STI's are very reliable as long as they are looked after and modded accordingly. Ignore the naysayers who probably think that Subaru make one model of Impreza only. I've seen seen standard newage STI engines and gearboxes handle circa 500bhp!
Old 23 October 2011, 02:04 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of budget you working with mate? debating on selling mine atm.
Old 23 October 2011, 02:16 PM
Dazza9t9
Scooby Regular

I don't know as of yet fella I have seen one I like and it will depend how much my classic sells for
Old 23 October 2011, 06:42 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

If it's Martin's car you've read about, don't forget he was running 400+ bhp...

Only real weak point are the synchros so if they shift gears smoothly without crunching then there are only the usual mileage related worries...

clutch, brakes, wear with age, Oh and rear dampers aren't ace on any Impreza.

dunx

Last edited by dunx; 23 October 2011 at 06:44 PM.