ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Any MOT Testers on here???

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2011, 09:09 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any MOT Testers on here???

Ive read loads of different things regarding aftermarket hids and MOT's.

I have a blobeye Spec C and wanting to fit a full set of HID's but dont want to have to go to the trouble of removing them come MOT time.
Old 29 November 2011, 09:12 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

is it not the case as of 2012 any cars with HID fitted will only pass with auto levelling and headlamp washers?

if not you could still fit them and come MOT just plug your normal bulbs back in? would take couple of mins?
Old 29 November 2011, 09:15 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

spot on mate, this will be added to the test as of jan 1st.
Old 29 November 2011, 09:30 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

+1
Old 29 November 2011, 09:33 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Just to add even more confusion, I've just spoken to an MOT tester on the phone and he has never heard of this.
He also said anything new VOSA want to bring into the MOT test has to passed by Parliament first. The only things they are adding to next years test is failure should your Airbag light be on and or Engine management light on.

He is going to looking into this HID thing but said it wont be inter grated into the MOT next year.
Old 29 November 2011, 09:36 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

he should of had all of the updates well before now mate, we get special notices to tell us whats coming up well in advance.
Old 29 November 2011, 09:38 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

I take it you are an MOT tester ****.
Old 29 November 2011, 09:52 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

I'm a tester, iv seen it! Special notice!!
Old 29 November 2011, 09:55 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

So any after market HID kits will be a failure?
Old 29 November 2011, 09:58 PM
r1c
Scooby Regular

Yep! If there is no headlamp washers and self levelling it's a fail! Manafacturers have had to fit them so why shouldn't we!

I know it's the AA and there pretty much useless but it's true!

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html
Old 29 November 2011, 10:12 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

What about a JDM cars that have HIDS fitted in the factory but no washers, etc..... I have a JDM that was brought in by Litchfield Imports. I read somewhere that the issue is HIDS fitted to light units not designesd for them that will fail the MOT.... I hope so other wise i'll be need new headlights!
Old 29 November 2011, 10:15 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Davey, you will only have HID on main beam dont you???
Old 29 November 2011, 10:16 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TurboAndy
I take it you are an MOT tester ****.
yes mate.
Old 29 November 2011, 10:35 PM
Davey L
Scooby Regular

To be honest i haven't a clue i've only had the car for 2 weeks. I thought it was on both? It ceartainly looks like HID to me when it powers up.....
Old 29 November 2011, 10:43 PM
shag
Scooby Regular

im not sure it will matter whether they are high or low beam, i think if they are stamped with "D1R or D2S" then they will fall under the mot criteria for hids.
Old 29 November 2011, 10:46 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

It will only fail on dip wont it as you only use main beam when there are no other road users about????
Old 29 November 2011, 10:52 PM
Lee_2011
Scooby Regular

A bit off topic from the lights but i'm a tester too. Have any of you other testers on here also had the special notice for the coil springs? As of 1st Jan coil springs will not fail if just the tail end of the spring has broken off. It is a good idea I suppose as the amount of springs we fail with just the tail piece broken, which doesnt make much difference anyway as the spring still sits fine with this little piece broken off.
Old 29 November 2011, 11:57 PM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

I thought it the new law only effected aftermarket HID kits?
Old 30 November 2011, 12:10 AM
Galifrey
Scooby Regular

Don't most of these kits just plugin instead of the stock bulb?

Doesn't that merely mean fitting a stock bulb come MOT time?
Old 30 November 2011, 02:13 AM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

You only need washers and leveling to work if fitted. So you do not need these items.

Dipster
Old 30 November 2011, 08:34 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by r1c
I know it's the AA and there pretty much useless but it's true!

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nges-2012.html
Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators"

does that mean people are going to have to re-tango their indicator lights now..?
Old 30 November 2011, 11:09 AM
shag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_2011
A bit off topic from the lights but i'm a tester too. Have any of you other testers on here also had the special notice for the coil springs? As of 1st Jan coil springs will not fail if just the tail end of the spring has broken off. It is a good idea I suppose as the amount of springs we fail with just the tail piece broken, which doesnt make much difference anyway as the spring still sits fine with this little piece broken off.
yep seen that, its also for all the lowered cars out there where the spring has popped out when jacked up for the mot.
Old 30 November 2011, 11:18 AM
shag
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lanceuppercut
Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators"

does that mean people are going to have to re-tango their indicator lights now..?

no as long as the light source still emmits the correct coulor
Old 30 November 2011, 11:59 AM
lanceuppercut
Scooby Regular

ah okay got it, ta.
Old 30 November 2011, 12:28 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

This is an extract in relation to HIDs and the levelling system:

"Where such [HID] systems are fitted, they [self leveling] must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given."
Note 'benefit of doubt': You may get away with it with a wink and nudge if you can make it look like there is self-levelling installed. Unless there is going to be a specific procedure to check for the presence and operation of suspension level sensors (usually little position sensors attached to the suspsenion struts by little lever arms). No mention of anything yet though.

But given that many testers seem to let cars pass with poor headlamps anyway (be it aim too high/low, light intensity too poor or poor focus/excessive beam leakage above the cut off), I think that there will still be plenty of HID retro-fits on our roads for along time to come regardless of the rule changes along with cars with dull headlamps and loose reflectors. Not to forget owners who wil swap headlamps before/after MOTs and try to adjust their lights DIY (And new cars that haven't been PDi checked properly).

Without a doubt no car with a HID kit fitted in reflector or fresnel lens type headlamp (as opposed to projector) should pass the current MOT, let alone the future ones. As they simply don't focus the beam and leak too much light above the cut-off.

I'd think a self levelling retrofit will come out sooner or later. Most headlamps have levelling motors, so it is a case of attaching a position sensor to each of the suspension struts with a controller to allow the motors to self-adjust the beam. The electronics should be simple (nothing a PIC micprocessor can't handle, hell, even a wheatstone bridge or op-amp could do it ). How well they'd function remains to be seen, but as long as they are fitted and appear to work it will satisfy the up and comming MOT checks.

Last edited by ALi-B; 30 November 2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 30 November 2011, 12:51 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think ALi-B's post hits the nail on the head. Even if it's in the rules, there will be plenty of test centres that will let it pass.

I know various test centres around my way that turn a blind eye to various bits and pieces, especially emissions.

I know someone with a full decat (not me, I've got a Sports CAT ) and has had an MOT done for the past 5 years and the emissions machine hasn't even been switched on, let alone put in the cars exhaust. He still gets his MOT certificate so he isn't bothered.
Old 30 November 2011, 01:06 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee_2011
yeah i got that in this months special notices too, i think thats a bit strange tbh, it's normally the tail pieces that locate the spring on the arms correctly, there's normally a recess for the spring ends to sit into. Without the tail pieces in place the spring isnt held securely. It's the same when someones chopped the springs to lower the car, you can normally lift the springs out once you've raised the back of the car up on the lift, imo that could be quite dangerous.

From what they've said in the messages there's a few new rfr's being added to the mot in january 2012, to name a few, abs wiring and functionallity test, inner cv gaiters, air bags, HID's and there was a few other things i can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 30 November 2011, 05:03 PM
TurboAndy
Scooby Regular

Think ill get my self a couple of set and swap them come MOT time.
Old 03 December 2011, 05:15 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I have been put off of HID's until now, but the wording is very clear.
You do not need leveling or washer systems, but if you have them they must work.
Abit like if you have a rear wiper it must work, if you have a spare wheel it must be legal etc...

Credit card at the ready, I'm getting some now.

dipster
Old 03 December 2011, 05:17 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd think a self levelling retrofit will come out sooner or later. Most headlamps have levelling motors, so it is a case of attaching a position sensor to each of the suspension struts with a controller to allow the motors to self-adjust the beam. The electronics should be simple (nothing a PIC micprocessor can't handle, hell, even a wheatstone bridge or op-amp could do it ). How well they'd function remains to be seen, but as long as they are fitted and appear to work it will satisfy the up and comming MOT checks.
Lets hope not, more weight and something else exposed to the elements to go wrong

Quick Reply: Any MOT Testers on here???