ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Damn sneaky rozzas!

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2011, 05:33 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn sneaky rozzas!

Think I may have been caught doing just shy of a ton this morning on the A23. Epic fail. Was only keeping pace with the trafic too. Bad times.
Old 03 December 2011, 05:44 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh dear.... Have you got any points already ?
Old 03 December 2011, 05:52 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Nah, I've been driving 16 years without being caught. Its more annoying as I was running down to Burgess Hill to do someone a favour. Mind you, I've always said I can't believe I've got away with it so long. Now I've busted my cherry!!!
Old 03 December 2011, 05:56 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Not until you are stopped, or you get the letter.
Best of luck.

Oh, and in future? Stuff the traffic, choose your own speed
Old 03 December 2011, 06:00 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Haha, I was just going with the flow really. I thought "why is this dick in front braking" and then I saw the van on the bridge! 30 Secs later I see a traffic car coming up behind me with blues on and I'm thinking thats got to be for me, but no! He just carries on by.

Still, I'm now expecting a christmas card from the Police. Boo!
Old 03 December 2011, 06:04 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

They have 2 weeks to give you a notice of intended prosecution ( going on holls doesn't help) as long as its delivered to the address of registered keeper within this time it counts. After that they have 6 months from the date of offence to summons you. It they fail in these time limits they can't touch you.
Good luck.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:19 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Cheers. As it happens one of my closest mates is a copper (I'm sorry to say) and he reckons that some times they put the van there just for a laugh. His words not mine! But he did also say that most of the time that isn't the case and the local feds have a habit of putting the van at Bolney. Chances are I've been caught red handed. I'm "allowed" 6 points on my license at work so at least thats one positive. I'm also hoping that I'll be given the option of the higher fine and a speed awareness course. I never speed in built up areas so I'm not a danger as such, I just like a pacey cruise on the local autobahns.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:26 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure what the "bracket over" is for a 70 limit for them to offer the awareness course.

All I know is for a 30, it's between 31 and 39 -- yep, I got flashed at 34 Got my course on 16th Dec. £90 and 4hrs of tedious, no doubt condascending, ****e . (...But better than £60/3pts ).

Last edited by joz8968; 03 December 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:26 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by chopperman
They have 2 weeks to give you a notice of intended prosecution ( going on holls doesn't help) as long as its delivered to the address of registered keeper within this time it counts. After that they have 6 months from the date of offence to summons you. It they fail in these time limits they can't touch you.
Good luck.
Except that, once you get the letter, you are basically stuffed, they DO have to summons you inside that time, but they normally offer points and £60 first.

Be VERY careful about any advice to try and duck it.

Been there and lost.

FOUR points and £100 plus £150 costs against me, as against 3 points and £60!
Old 03 December 2011, 06:29 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Except that, once you get the letter, you are basically stuffed, they DO have to summons you inside that time, but they normally offer points and £60 first.

Be VERY careful about any advice to try and duck it.

Been there and lost.

FOUR points and £100 plus £150 costs against me, as against 3 points and £60!
If he has been clock at 100+ mph there is no chance of a fine + points without a court hearing. They look to ban for that speed.
Old 03 December 2011, 06:53 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
If he has been clock at 100+ mph there is no chance of a fine + points without a court hearing. They look to ban for that speed.
I'm pretty sure I wasn't over 100mph. But it wasn't like i was glued to the speedo either.

If/when I get my letter rest assured that I will be having a moan on here!
Old 03 December 2011, 08:01 PM
Loco
Scooby Regular

it completely depends on situation too.

I got caught a few months back doing 64 in a 40. now i thought that was 6 points and a sexy fine. however, i got 3 points and a £60 fine. but i think it was because I was on a dual carriage way that is usually a 70, but was reduced down to 40 for road works. but it was a sunday afternoon, quiet, and all the roadworks were cleared off to one side. in fact, i don't even remember seeing a 40 sign!

but i believe usually, up to 10 mph of limit, and you can go on the awareness course if your county offers it. up to 20mph over is 3 points and £60, up to 30mph over is 6 points and a bigger fine, and 30mph+ is court and usually a ban.

but as has been shown with my case, these things arent always rigid...

good luck!
Old 03 December 2011, 08:01 PM
Reef
Scooby Regular

What that near Hickstead?
Old 03 December 2011, 09:53 PM
99jdee
Scooby Regular

I knew someone who got done doing over a tonne went to court, said he sold the car, produced a reciept and then the case got dropped as the phot from the gatso was b ollack, as they normally are in the dark, then after bought the car back!
Old 04 December 2011, 03:31 AM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Well it's pretty clear that I'm not selling the car. Unless it smashes my **** on insurance once I declare my points. I'll just have to see what happens.
Old 04 December 2011, 03:34 AM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reef
What that near Hickstead?
Yeah near hickstead. ****ers are always there. Apparently. Never seen them before. But this time..........
Old 04 December 2011, 04:40 AM
sonicvr6
BANNED

see thats one thing i love about my classic have to do 55-60 on the motorway as as any more i'm on boost lol
Old 04 December 2011, 07:10 AM
94impreza
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Danny Dooby Doo
Yeah near hickstead. ****ers are always there. Apparently. Never seen them before. But this time..........
Well, I've been hit at Bolney twice!, about 2 years apart. First time about 5 yrs ago i was doing dead on 70......but was in a van. Sounds silly i know but I would leave the depot at the earliest 7am and have to be in Eastbourne by 8am, and if you failed to deliver by 8am you'd face a disciplinary....
Needless to say i walked away from van driving to preserve my license (Had scoob now 6 years, touch wood no points in the scoob and probably stopped on average once a week in Crawley town centre!).

Anyway, i'm going to be hypocritical. The 23 between Brighton and Crawley is notorious for having either unmarked cars (Evo's/M3's/M5's/ST's) at various points and I've seen vans after Pease Pottage, Bolney and Handcross.

The key with Bolney really, apart from sticking to the speed limit is to watch the brake lights of vehicles way ahead of you on the brow of the hill. They rely on you coming over the hill at speed as you are blind to them being there. Although i've ended up just paying the fine and accepting the points, I've got away with addressing the envelope to "The thieving Scum" twice now.

Last edited by 94impreza; 04 December 2011 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04 December 2011, 10:43 AM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

Thieving scum. Haha. I might try that.

I went out last night, took my photo license out as id. It expired in October. I'd better get that sorted out FAST!!!! Whoops.
Old 04 December 2011, 10:52 AM
TANKWRX
Scooby Regular

seems a fair few of us in this area i live in burgess hill and that vans such a pain it sits there all the time and the second you hit the top of the hill bam done ! Ive gone though at 85 a couple of times and had nothing
Old 04 December 2011, 11:11 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TANKWRX
seems a fair few of us in this area i live in burgess hill and that vans such a pain it sits there all the time and the second you hit the top of the hill bam done ! Ive gone though at 85 a couple of times and had nothing
Myth has it the police consider +10% plus 3 acceptable, so 70mph, 7+3 = 80mph. As i was in a van the limit's 60, so 60+6+3=69, and i was doing bang on 70....

One thing i can gaurentee though is that they won't be there in bad weather.
Old 04 December 2011, 12:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Danny Dooby Doo
Think I may have been caught doing just shy of a ton this morning on the A23. Epic fail. Was only keeping pace with the trafic too. Bad times.
Were they on the bridge as you come down the hill? They are there a lot (I go past there every work day!) ...

TX.

Edit - also be careful at the bottom of the A23 as you pass the expensive (for fuel) garage on the right as they hide round the bend just as it straightens up for the final run to the r/bout

Last edited by Terminator X; 04 December 2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04 December 2011, 01:44 PM
Steve_PPP
Scooby Regular

Also live in Burgess Hill and that spot just north of Bolney seems to be the local plod's favourite spot at the moment. Its worse going Southbound as you come over the crest of the hill without being able to see the bridge and then its too late as they've got you....

A couple of months ago they must have got me at 80-85 but nothing through the post so lucky escape
Old 04 December 2011, 02:06 PM
Danny Dooby Doo
Scooby Regular

As I said before, they sometimes sit there just to toy with you. Sneaky gits. I don't expect to get away with it. But you never know.