Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

M.O.T tester advice wanted please.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2011, 10:18 PM
burbling1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M.O.T tester advice wanted please.

My 95 wrx wagon is due for mot, now for the past 13 years I've been using the same garage 4 of which with the scoob. In this time I've never had a cat fitted so he's passed it using a different vehicle. A few months ago he sold up and the guy that bought it I also know but he's only just passed his mot testing so by law do I need a cat also when it comes to the brake test the other tester took the car for a drive with a device in the passenger footwell, is this the correct way to do it or should it be put on the brake machine like a 2wd car does.
Thanks.
Old 17 December 2011, 10:23 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the device is called a tablow meter (sp?) and should be used for the brake testing.

for the emissions, currently you don't need a Cat as long as you meet the emissions requirements, you may get away with it maybe not (is an import so you may get less stricter checks). otherwise get a standard centre cat off ebay for a few quid this is only 4 bolts and take 30 minutes to fit and should do the job.
Old 17 December 2011, 10:23 PM
wazlee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that's the correct way
Think it's called a Tapley Meter.

You can't put a 4wd car in normal rollers as it knackers the diff.
Old 17 December 2011, 10:26 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

You don't need a cat to pass the mot, just pass emissions test. Soon if the engine light is on that will be a fail, so the lambda circuit will have to be continuous so the light is not on.
To test the brakes they need to put it on the rollers to check the Brake imbalance is not more than 25%.
Mot tester will have to drive the vehicle soon with the new rules so the speedo can be checked it's working.
Old 18 December 2011, 08:11 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chopperman
You don't need a cat to pass the mot, just pass emissions test. Soon if the engine light is on that will be a fail, so the lambda circuit will have to be continuous so the light is not on.
To test the brakes they need to put it on the rollers to check the Brake imbalance is not more than 25%.
Mot tester will have to drive the vehicle soon with the new rules so the speedo can be checked it's working.
contrary to above. Do not allow your car to be put on a set off 2wd brake rollers. There is risk off breaking the centre diff. As above a taplow metre is what should be used
Old 18 December 2011, 08:21 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From 1 Jan, if your car came from the factory with a cat it will need one to pass its MOT. There's nothng in the handbook that says it must be an OE set-up but it will be a physical check. All cars in the UK were required to have a cat after 1992/3 so I expect that imports may well have required it for SVA testing which means you will likely need one. Best advice is to check with a couple of different test centres and see whose answer you like best