Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2012, 04:19 PM
Marc Frobie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2012 MOT Laws:

The main changes from 2012

Electronic parking brake

Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control

Checks of anti-lock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Airbag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light
Steering & suspension

The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and battery

An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket

There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres

Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints

The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

Speedometer

The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors

A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Towbars

Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust

A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system

Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure.

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/01/04/changes-to-mot-rules-in-2012-are-you-ready/
Old 06 January 2012, 04:21 PM
Marc Frobie
Scooby Regular

From what I can see, this will affect:

Aftermarket Steering Wheels
Fixed Bucket Seats
HID lights
Any tints/films/sprays (TIGHTS!) over lights, with or without a reflector!
Any warning lights (Airbag lights was brought in a couple of years ago, but all warning lights will now be fails!)
Old 06 January 2012, 04:22 PM
Marc Frobie
Scooby Regular

Smoothed doors will no longer be allowed either...
Old 06 January 2012, 05:39 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've seen the original of the above.

It DOES NOT say that levelling and cleaning devices MUST be fitted to HID lights.

It DOES, however, say that IF fitted they must work properly.
Old 06 January 2012, 05:43 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Airbag light is not a fail!
Old 06 January 2012, 05:45 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
I've seen the original of the above.

It DOES NOT say that levelling and cleaning devices MUST be fitted to HID lights.

It DOES, however, say that IF fitted they must work properly.
+1, and I spoke to my tester only yesterday and he has confirmed that. You can get the manual from here...

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/cr...sandguides.htm
Old 06 January 2012, 05:47 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1
It is now...

A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS)
malfunction indicator lamp:
• inoperative
• indicating a system malfunction.

Trending Topics

Old 06 January 2012, 05:55 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by every1sgottablue1

It is now
Ours on the Xantia has been stuck on for years, (dodgy French electrics), and my tester told me if I'd taken it after January 1st, not on Decemeber 27th, it would have failed.

This is typical of the UK, to enforce the bits of European legislation that suits them, and quietly forget that the test is supposed to be every TWO years now!

This will definitely force a few old cars either off the road, or underground. It's obviosuly designed to give the motor trade a boost.....but I'm NOT sure about the road-safety angle
Old 06 January 2012, 05:58 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Totally agree about the safety bit, you can't remove the airbag that only helps if you have an accident, but you can remove the ABS which can help avoid an accident
Old 06 January 2012, 05:58 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

just to let you know guys these things arent actually a fail for the next 3 months, just advisories.
Old 06 January 2012, 06:03 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by djandyg
just to let you know guys these things arent actually a fail for the next 3 months, just advisories.
That was in the draft guidance but I've not seen anything in writing to confirm it - I've just bought a runner for my driver's seat which I'll fit before the MOT in 2-weeks time

I'm also banking on the fact that a properly fitted aftermarket steering wheel does not mean that the car is 'obviously missing an airbag. The government can't expect an MOT tester to know every car that came of the production line and whether or not it had an airbag.

Wonder how many rally teams will have 'friendly' MOT testers and whether VOSA will do spot check between rally stages to make sure drivers seats can be adjusted and whether airbags are fitted
Old 06 January 2012, 06:12 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
That was in the draft guidance but I've not seen anything in writing to confirm it
There not listed as failures on a testing stations computer yet, just as advisories?
Old 06 January 2012, 06:13 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Has the remap faliure thing been dropped? Did wonder how they'd test it.
Old 06 January 2012, 06:21 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats a main beam warning light?
Old 06 January 2012, 07:11 PM
pacenote
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by topshot
whats a main beam warning light?

Its a light that comes on when you switch to headlamp main beam from dip, usually blue and situated in instrument cluster on dash..( next to Speedometer )
Old 06 January 2012, 07:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Has the remap faliure thing been dropped? Did wonder how they'd test it.
Nothing in the new manual covering this yet, but I'm sure the bureaucrat will be wasting more of our taxes working out how to screw us over a bit further, smokers, drinkers and petrolheads - scum of the earth the lot of them, criminals, benefit cheats and general scum, throw more cash at them because it would breach their human rights if we didn't try and reform them
Old 06 January 2012, 07:49 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nothing in the new manual covering this yet, but I'm sure the bureaucrat will be wasting more of our taxes working out how to screw us over a bit further, smokers, drinkers and petrolheads - scum of the earth the lot of them, criminals, benefit cheats and general scum, throw more cash at them because it would breach their human rights if we didn't try and reform them

Yes i agree with that too
also i was told that toyo r888 will not be allowed on the road from this year does anyone no if theres any truth in that
Old 06 January 2012, 07:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Tyres will be fine as long as they have right markings for use in the UK, and unless the R888s are redesigned they'll continue to be okay
Old 06 January 2012, 07:56 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

So will mot prices be shooting up to cover all this?
Old 06 January 2012, 07:56 PM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

Tyres will be fine as long as they have right markings for use in the UK, and unless the R888s are redesigned they'll continue to be okay

Great looks like i can cancel the trailer now
Old 06 January 2012, 08:01 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by johnnybon
Great looks like i can cancel the trailer now
Here's the tyre change info, only affects the purchase of new tyres and does not need you to replace non-compliant old tyres

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-noise-faq
Old 06 January 2012, 08:14 PM
topshot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pacenote
Its a light that comes on when you switch to headlamp main beam from dip, usually blue and situated in instrument cluster on dash..( next to Speedometer )
Thats crazy failing on that, what next interior light bulb check
Old 06 January 2012, 10:34 PM
djandyg
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnybon
Yes i agree with that too
also i was told that toyo r888 will not be allowed on the road from this year does anyone no if theres any truth in that
There was talks of new tyre regulations coming out a good couple of years ago now, that would have meant the many versions of semi slicks wouldnt meet the standards - but that doesnt seem to have gone any further yet and that was at least 2 years ago now.
Old 06 January 2012, 11:24 PM
Caged "R"
Scooby Regular

Mine failed on weds due to the trailer socket fog being inoperative! It has a tow bar but no ball fitted & the other trailer electrics were fine apart from the fog lamp..
Old 07 January 2012, 12:32 AM
Wolf_gsxr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Caged "R"
Mine failed on weds due to the trailer socket fog being inoperative! It has a tow bar but no ball fitted & the other trailer electrics were fine apart from the fog lamp..
He sounds like abit of a tw@. My dads a tester and he's not impressed with all this new rubbish.
Old 07 January 2012, 07:16 AM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Caged "R"
did the tester have a light board or something how did he no the trailer fog light did not work..

i have twin electrics on my work/shopping car and they never tested them in 3 years i had it ,not evan i no if they work

but still pass`s
Old 07 January 2012, 08:38 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 185 Likes on 142 Posts

Surely an electronic handbrake will have more chances of failing as aposed to a manual one.

I don't trust electrics!
Old 07 January 2012, 08:57 AM
johnnybon
Scooby Regular

I Think its just to empty the motorists pockets again as if we have anything left after going to the pumps
The goverment just rape us all on a daily bases they are all W**kER

Last edited by johnnybon; 07 January 2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07 January 2012, 09:12 AM
jd5217
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by djandyg
There was talks of new tyre regulations coming out a good couple of years ago now, that would have meant the many versions of semi slicks wouldnt meet the standards - but that doesnt seem to have gone any further yet and that was at least 2 years ago now.
I have had correspondance from Toyo on this, details in thread:

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...oad-legal.html
Old 07 January 2012, 09:22 AM
Scooby Regular

Load of bollocks as said, If I want to replace my steering wheel with a non airbag one, fit fixed bucket seats and harnesses and track my car, it'll now fail an mot according to these. Luckily I'm sure plenty of testers will realise it's complete **** and be a bit lenient

Quick Reply: New 2012 MOT Laws: