2 Door Impreza Shell? Should i?

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2012, 09:32 PM
jme-rst
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Door Impreza Shell? Should i?

Hi Guys

Just wondering how much these usually go for?,have seen 1 or 2 on here but there dont seem to be any prices.

I have been thinking alot lately and although classics are really cheap to buy now and i can afford to buy one but the insurance is just TOO much,cheapest quotes are just under 4k 3rd party fire and theft.

I have thought about just getting something half decent to drive around in like an e36 318-320 as they are also cheap enough now and insurance is managable, and buying an impreza and putting it in the garage,working on it for say 2 years until the insurance drops and making it slowly how i want it.

i have looked at spares/repairs but they are going for nearly the price of a running one,so i was thinking about getting a 2dr shell and building it from scratch as they just look so god damn sexy lol,
i can do the basics and fit suspension etc but the engine would have to be fitted by a pro.

any rough ideas how much to have an engine installed by a reputable tuner,local to the south west and not too far because of transport costs. and i will not use enginetuner/AJ in plymouth

thanks in advance chaps

CheeRS

Jamie
Old 12 February 2012, 10:14 PM
jef
Scooby Regular

dont see the proble with buying a shell, and building from there as a project,

would be a bit of a monumental projet for sure, but if competant, go for it.

engine fitting itself isnt exactly rocket science, building an uprated engine from the ground up is though.

but 4k for insurance?? bad past, young?? thats a sore one.
Old 12 February 2012, 10:19 PM
dannyboygti
Scooby Regular

its a good idea buddy but will be the 1st to add that the insurance on a 2 door will be a hell of alot more due to it being a 2 door couple and likley to be an import (type r) just bare that in mind as its likely to be about 2k more than what your being qouted for a 4 door classic

my classic 4 door is costing me £900 fully comp if i go to a 2 door its nearly 4k
Old 12 February 2012, 10:33 PM
jme-rst
Scooby Regular

well regarding insurance,

when i was 18 i was banned for driving with no licence and no insurance, as i had been caught twice, i had 12 points put onto my provisional and had it taken away from me for 12 months along with a hefty fine of about £1300.

so what i did was wait 5 years so i wouldnt have to declare anything and could actually drive a decent car instead of a 1.1 popular

i have now passed my test and im 26, but as i have no "legal" driving experience i dont really get any discount on insurance obviously.

quotes are coming in at 3900 but i might be able to get it lower,i dont really want to pay any more than 2000 per year so a scoob is out of the question for a minute until i get some ncb behind me.

hence why i may buy one and store it for a while.

i await the barrage of comments regarding my ban but i was pulled for "looking dodgy" (xr3i rs turbo rep full of young lads) were the officers comments,not speeding or driving like a loon,and the officer said my driving was perfectly acceptable. I was young,stupid and didnt consider all the variables of what would of happened IF i crashed.
the 2nd time i was pulled was doing a 3 point turn in a side street,manouvering my car so i could put it into my mates garden/drive after some idiot in a 4x4 reversed into it, and that finished it for me.
Old 12 February 2012, 10:44 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Everyone does things when they're young that are stupid, its important to regret it and not repeat the same mistakes.
I've been looking at 2dr shells for a while and you should expect to buy a decent one for £1500-£2000+, depending on whether its rolling and what else comes with it. I'd invest in an early WRX closed deck block which you can pick up relatively cheap and take apart at your leisure and learn a lot along the way (check out my project thread i'm pretty much doing all of this myself).
Old 12 February 2012, 10:52 PM
comrade mackie
Scooby Regular

Be careful, what you do. DVLA could issue a q plate when you register it. If you buy a shell make sure it has a v5 and isn't cat a-b.