Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Potential buyer scared by horror stories...

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2012, 07:45 PM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer scared by horror stories...

Hi guys i'm new here and currently toying with the idea of buying an Impreza.. Have been for a couple of years actually..

I want something standard looking, just a WRX and am a fan of the bugeyes (possibly the only fan?) and it will be a daily...

Budget wise will be 3-4-5k depending on what I sell my current car for.. Really un-keen on rust too

I keep hearing stories tho of engines failing, cam belts going and to avoid cars without fsh and not having used super unleaded from new? Also very regular and expensive servicing costs? How do they fair mileage wise? I'm used to BMW & Mercedes 6 & 8 cyl engines which are good for 300k+ other than a phase of Civic type r's.. I'm pretty tidy on the spanners if that helps

All these things are from non Subaru fans so a pinch of salt has be taken but wanted some enthusiasts views.

Any advice welcome guys Cheers
Old 13 February 2012, 07:48 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no better or worse than any other car and same rules apply about service history that apply to second hand cars.
Old 13 February 2012, 07:54 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go for a classic or bug sti mate loads of bargins but as all cars fsh etc oil chafed every 4/10 k
Sti 2 litre is a tough engine and gear box so as above for that money I'd get bug sti
Old 13 February 2012, 08:02 PM
AWG
Scooby Regular

My advice would be to get as much advice on here as possible! That sounds obvious and stupid but spend time going through threads and read up on the shape/type you fancy instead of heading out and taking a punt. You never know you may find someone selling a decent motor on here!

I too would go for an STi as the power is already there but if its a daily comute then defo consider the WRX.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:04 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Imprezas have to be treated with care & one can be expensive. Regular services are essential with the best oil possible. An Impreza will cost more to run than a Merc or BMW,& is far more likely to blow it's engine. On the plus side they are the most exhilarating cars to drive & make their German competitors seem as exciting as watching paint dry.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:06 PM
abbott
Scooby Regular

Ive always found all my Impreza's to be reliable infact i quote them on the reliability to friends "touch wood"

Although it kills me in fuel bills , it makes up for with reliability !
Old 13 February 2012, 08:30 PM
JPC500
Scooby Regular

I've got a Bug WRX which I've had nearly a year and a half. You can do many mods on any Impreza and believe me mine looks nothing like it did when I first had it and I love it !!! Not as quick as an STI but with a PPP and full induction kit it's quick enough 😉
Old 13 February 2012, 08:37 PM
adam knight
Scooby Regular

compleatly different car to what your used to, having said that for a performace car i dont think you can get a better car for the money.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:58 PM
scoobychris300
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

im new on here , and all advice above is correct take your time and listen to all of it
chris.
Old 13 February 2012, 08:59 PM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

I'll stick my neck out and say that the engines aren't quite in the same league as their German counterparts as far as reliability goes, but they are not unreliable by any stretch of the imagination.
Imports benefit from Super Unleaded, and big ends can suffer from tuning past their specifications and/ or bad maintenance. Aside from that, they're pretty bomb-proof as my 175,000 miler can testify. :-)
Old 13 February 2012, 09:02 PM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

Some Bugs like to rust, have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Apparently, this is more common than you might think, so have a very good look at your potential purchase. The engine's plastic undertray is great at hiding brown bits.
Old 13 February 2012, 10:33 PM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Cheers for all the replys guys Really appreciate it... I'm sure to have many more daft questions over the next few weeks
Old 13 February 2012, 10:45 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Osimabu
Some Bugs like to rust, have a look here:

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...ame-query.html

Apparently, this is more common than you might think, so have a very good look at your potential purchase. The engine's plastic undertray is great at hiding brown bits.
Ive heard of a few blobs needing some repair to rusty floor pans too.
Old 13 February 2012, 10:49 PM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chopperman
Ive heard of a few blobs needing some repair to rusty floor pans too.
What's the blobs? Or just another name for bugs?

That rust is mankin!! Reminds me of a proper jap crap 1980 Toyota crown I had moons ago lol...
Old 13 February 2012, 10:50 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by RICHARD J
Imprezas have to be treated with care & one can be expensive. Regular services are essential with the best oil possible. An Impreza will cost more to run than a Merc or BMW,& is far more likely to blow it's engine. On the plus side they are the most exhilarating cars to drive & make their German competitors seem as exciting as watching paint dry.
As far as i am concerned an Impreza is cheaper to run than a Merc or BMW. Have you seen their parts prices and servicing tarriffs?

Largest service cost i have seen on Impreza is 450 quid which was service including the cambelt change by authorised dealer. The other two services were under 200 quid.

Servicing every 10000 miles. Only greater expense may be amount of fuel they consume, but for like for like performance and excluding diesels, mpg is similar.

I have had 1 x 97 Impreza turbo, 1 x 99 RB5 WR Sport, 1 x 2006 Sti PPP (Current), 1 x 99 legacy, 1 x 99 Forester.

I had the RB5 for 7 1/2 years from new and 55000 miles, only routine services required and no breakdowns, and that applies to all the motors above.

The only big surprise i have had was for the headlamp levelling system on the Sti which cost 540 quid to fix for two sensors after 24000 miles. However, i currently have a letter in with Subaru on that one and hope for some sort of reconcilliation.

Old 13 February 2012, 10:59 PM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Not wrong about the parts prices mate Of I can turn 30mpg out I'll be happy... Had a merc 4.3 V8 a couple of years back, was literally in a petrol station every day
Old 13 February 2012, 10:59 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ~muz~
What's the blobs? Or just another name for bugs?

That rust is mankin!! Reminds me of a proper jap crap 1980 Toyota crown I had moons ago lol...
Blob is the model after the bug.
Old 13 February 2012, 11:12 PM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chopperman
Blob is the model after the bug.
Cheers bud Where's blob come from then?
Old 13 February 2012, 11:15 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Cheers bud Where's blob come from then?
It comes frome the head lights ie. Bug eye, Blob eye and Hawk eye.
Old 13 February 2012, 11:16 PM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Talking

Not wrong about the parts prices mate Of I can turn 30mpg out I'll be happy... Had a merc 4.3 V8 a couple of years back, was literally in a petrol station every day
Mate, you wont be seeing 30mpg with a WRX or an STi. Expect 23 mpg and maybe on a good day 26 mpg, a really good day. The best i have ever seen was 33 mpg on the RB5 for one tank, and the missus driving. However, my feeling is she put some extra fuel in and forgot to reset the trip meter.

Worst i saw was on the 97 Impreza Turbo, thrashed it one night, scared myself, and reckon consumption dropped to 16 mpg.
Old 13 February 2012, 11:21 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

£70 odd quid for a full tank, worst case scenario might be 200 odd miles
Old 13 February 2012, 11:31 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Not wrong about the parts prices mate Of I can turn 30mpg out I'll be happy...
You planning on pushing it around or carrying a tow rope then?

As said, expect 20-25mpg at best, 12-18mpg if you've got a heavy right foot and a modified car. Also, you'll be filling up on Vpower or 99 Momentum unless you want to insult your Impreza and put 97 in it
Old 14 February 2012, 12:10 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not had a bmw, but have had a few mercs, which are pretty reliable, i never had a diesel merc and never had 30mpg out of any of them, maybe 28 tops.

My current car is a 54 blob wrx ppp, and if you keep it off boost it will get 28 ish around town sticking to speed limits, mostly short journeys, on a run going steady i made 32mpg, so when i go for a blast and it does 15mpg i don't feel too bad.

If your handy with the spanners you will save a fortune,only fidely job is the plugs, oil and filter is easy, and they are cheaper to run than bmw's as everyone i've ever known that had one shelled out big time over a couple of years which is why i never bought one.

subarus are very good cars, but you do need to know how to treat them.

Avoid modding until you know whats what, a well looked after unmodded car will run for ever, i'll take the pepsi challenge with a bmw any day.

My advice is buy a blob wrx or if your going to keep it and want to mod then get a blob sti, classics are getting on and not so good at mile munching,and after a bmw will seem rough as all buggery, with your budget you should be able to pick up a decent blob wrx 04. and another 2k will see you in an sti if your lucky.

Above all do your research and don't rush.
Old 14 February 2012, 12:27 AM
MJL
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, starting to feel a little put off by the fuel costs myself! Lol
Old 14 February 2012, 12:36 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Muz, what county/town do you live in? As you may learn about local meets to goto and then speak to people about different models.
Old 14 February 2012, 01:00 AM
Beastie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Originally Posted by MJL
Hmmmm, starting to feel a little put off by the fuel costs myself! Lol
MJL try an Mitsi EVO. The Subaru fuel consumption is saintly in comparison.
Old 14 February 2012, 09:10 AM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

South Wales btw

Hardly ever drive a round town, live just off the m4 and work just off the m4 so lots off motorway... Current whip is a 2.2 merc turbo diesel and only getting about 30, was the same in a golf diesel I had once, you find you need to boot it because of the derv inferiority factor
Old 14 February 2012, 09:32 AM
L&G.scooby
Scooby Regular

Don't think you will see 30 mpg ever. I done al motorway miles for a tank full with my blobeye at 325 HP, didn't hit boost and still only got 26 to 28 mpg.
Old 14 February 2012, 09:35 AM
~muz~
Scooby Newbie

Ok I'll take 25 all day
Old 14 February 2012, 09:47 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

I don't know who is telling you they are unreliable. My scooby has been the most reliable car i've ever owned and its quite well modified.
As a wrx owner my advice would be to get an sti. Eventually you will want more out of the car and its so much easier with an sti.
5k could get you a blob sti in the current climate and thats an excellent bang for your buck.

Oh and if you are worried about fuel economy then you are looking for the wrong sort of car.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer scared by horror stories...