Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How would you value a one off commission piece?

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2012, 09:09 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How would you value a one off commission piece?

I'm a little perplexed on this issue. Basically as some guys know on here (when I have time) I do some commission artwork of peoples cars. It's obviously to a good standard going by comments folk have made.

Now my situation is this... upstairs I have a big canvas piece that I did a while ago (just as I had a picture to work from, it wasn't a customer or anything). The canvas is approx. 30'x40' so pretty big and god knows what a piece like this would cost from a "professional artist". I've got nowhere to put it so was considering selling it and the moolah would go towards my new clutch fund . It's of a pre-facelift silver WRX with gold Speedlines but no number plate markings. But I have no idea on what sort of value to place on it should I put it for sale (on here for example, or even eBay etc. etc.). A slightly different "what's it worth" I guess.

This is a pic taken not long after it was done if it helps.

Any ideas guys, any advice is appreciated.

Andy

P.S. I'd like to say to mods etc. that I am in no way advertising this for sale here in this section. If I was to sell it, it would obviously have a price and be in the correct section
Old 13 February 2012, 09:14 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

I would put it on ebay and let it find it's own price. Start the bidding at £50-£80 is my guess.
Old 13 February 2012, 09:26 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or let someone with the same looking car make an offer and let them have there reg on it but going from the quality of the picture[which is very good Andy] I'd say between £70-100 would be the price range mate
Old 13 February 2012, 09:36 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hmm, thanks guys. In perspective if a prospective customer wanted a similar piece doing now, the charge would be upwards of £200. As a guide, there was over 100 hours in the above one so it's certainly not a money maker for me, just a hobby you see.

Plenty of silver classics about, most common colour I think. I'm wary of eBay that's why I thought I'd ask on here.
Old 13 February 2012, 09:41 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now he says how long he put into the picture,well on that basis I'd say £250 would be more the mark then Andy
Old 13 February 2012, 09:52 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

I'm not sure you can really think in terms of an hourly rate; 100 hrs for £250 is nothing at all, though of course any item is only worth what someone will pay for it.

On Ebay, of course, it's the buyers who set the price - it'll go for whatever they think it's worth, which could be £5 or £500. Set your reserve a little above the level which would make you say 'sod that, I'd rather keep it', and let the market decide.

If you want to actually make money at this business, then IMHO you'd be better off drawing cars that are more expensive to buy in the first place. You'll have a much better chance selling a picture costing £500 to someone with a £50,000 car than you will to someone with a £2,500 car...
Old 14 February 2012, 10:38 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Put it in the ForSale section and let the buyer tell you want number-plate he wants on it.*

I have to say the detail on these needs to be seen......

*Could you rub out the back and the front and make it into your wagon? LOL

Trending Topics

Old 14 February 2012, 05:17 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
I'm not sure you can really think in terms of an hourly rate; 100 hrs for £250 is nothing at all, though of course any item is only worth what someone will pay for it.

On Ebay, of course, it's the buyers who set the price - it'll go for whatever they think it's worth, which could be £5 or £500. Set your reserve a little above the level which would make you say 'sod that, I'd rather keep it', and let the market decide.

If you want to actually make money at this business, then IMHO you'd be better off drawing cars that are more expensive to buy in the first place. You'll have a much better chance selling a picture costing £500 to someone with a £50,000 car than you will to someone with a £2,500 car...
I agree. as I had said it's a hobby for me and would never be financially viable for me to do full time. And I wouldn't expect an obscene price for this piece as it is a general one, still a one-off but not a specific piece to a customers specification.

Originally Posted by alcazar
Put it in the ForSale section and let the buyer tell you want number-plate he wants on it.*

I have to say the detail on these needs to be seen......

*Could you rub out the back and the front and make it into your wagon? LOL
Thanks for the kind words Jeff. Couldn't change it if I wanted to as it's been sealed so won't smudge. Could add a number plate but no wipe anything off
Old 14 February 2012, 05:27 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

The art world is rather crazy, one minute certain pictures are selling for silly numbers and the week after its another one ect, you do have a talent by the looks of it but unfortunatly you are not known yet in the art world so as for a price ??
As said above its worth what the buyer will pay, my thoughts are ebay will not do it justice at all, you need somone with a passion for this style picture and then let the haggling begin,. good luck with the sale
Old 14 February 2012, 05:35 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Saw one go for a fiver at a local car boot, and that was by someone that could draw.

Old 14 February 2012, 05:40 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
Saw one go for a fiver at a local car boot, and that was by someone that could draw.

Cheeky bastid