ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should I consider this?

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2012, 11:10 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I consider this?

Back in 2010 I bought an STi hatch, I know not everyones cup of tea and also the issue of that engine. I got an excellent deal and I really like the hatch, so do my two retired greyhounds which wouldn't be able to travel in a 4 door Impreza.

Anyway onto 2012, I have been putting some cash to one side ready for the inevitable engine rebuild, also sorting the suspension in due course.

I would love to do some track days in my hatch, but as I still have over a year of warranty left I dont want to blow the engine & the remaining warranty.

I am now considering buying a 2L JDM Impreza for some track day fun, a newage so I get the stronger 6 speed box, any models I should avoid?

Am I mad?, am I asking for two lots of repair bills?

Should I just throw caution to the wind and the the 2.5 in the hatch rebuilt with proper internals and use that for track days? I am not looking for a clubmans rally or race car, just a car I can enjoy on track with loosing my driving license.

Anyone know where I could securely store a car in Lincolnshire when I am not using it?
Old 24 April 2012, 12:39 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

tbh if you rebuild the 2.5 properly and map it right they are alot stronger than your likely to need.
What kind of power do you have in mind? a pinned block will handle 500 easily.
The main failures of these engines were a bad map which should now be fixed, add in the build and you will be fine.
Having said that if u wish even bigger power, then a closed block maybe the way forward
Old 24 April 2012, 09:12 AM
StanS
Scooby Regular

You want something like mine so its fully sorted for track days + a great every day drive.
One car fits all
Old 24 April 2012, 09:20 AM
CREWJ
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure you don't just want a separate track car? Say an Ariel Atom or a Caterham?
Old 24 April 2012, 09:27 AM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Just use yours on the track. If it goes pop then have it repaired under warranty, they don't need to know it failed on a track.
Old 24 April 2012, 07:07 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StanS
You want something like mine so its fully sorted for track days + a great every day drive.
One car fits all
If I had that sort of brass available I would jump at the chance, sadly I don't.

Shame you didnt do a track day or two, would have been interesting to see how it went.

D
Old 24 April 2012, 07:13 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CREWJ
Are you sure you don't just want a separate track car? Say an Ariel Atom or a Caterham?
Having seen both Atoms & Caterhams on track, my skill would run out way before I got anything like 100% of either of those cars, even in a modest state of tune.

Again I dont have the kind of brass being asked for Ariel Atoms £20k +

Caterhams are a bit more within my price bracket, but I also I like a metal roof.

D
Old 24 April 2012, 08:09 PM
StanS
Scooby Regular

Most of the cars I've owned had greater capability than I had skill

Westfields are better value than Caterhams, with 500-700 kg and 180-200 BHP give good power/weight ratio. Pick up a great one for £6-9K, great in spring, summer and autumn but not too civilised in winter.

Hope you get the car you want
Old 24 April 2012, 08:23 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pramas
tbh if you rebuild the 2.5 properly and map it right they are alot stronger than your likely to need.
What kind of power do you have in mind? a pinned block will handle 500 easily.
The main failures of these engines were a bad map which should now be fixed, add in the build and you will be fine.
Having said that if u wish even bigger power, then a closed block maybe the way forward
Im not looking for big power, just reliable power. The hatch is great fun, but even driving it on the road at the back of your mind is the thought that if you push it too hard the engine may let you down.

The JDM idea was because I have a pot of money ready to start a few bits an pieces on the hatch, but not until the warranty expires next year. I though maybe get an early newage STi with the strong 2L engine and 6sp box have some fun in that, rather than risk breaking the engine in the hatch.

D
Old 24 April 2012, 08:51 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Originally Posted by dsemuk
Im not looking for big power, just reliable power. The hatch is great fun, but even driving it on the road at the back of your mind is the thought that if you push it too hard the engine may let you down.

The JDM idea was because I have a pot of money ready to start a few bits an pieces on the hatch, but not until the warranty expires next year. I though maybe get an early newage STi with the strong 2L engine and 6sp box have some fun in that, rather than risk breaking the engine in the hatch.

D
Would we offer to help you?
Only like a shot, as it's right up our street...
Old 24 April 2012, 09:11 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Why does it matter if you break the engine, surely that's what the warranty is for.

If it lasts until the warranty runs out then have it rebuilt at somewhere like Alan's.
Old 24 April 2012, 09:23 PM
Adam-M
Scooby Regular

I'd push it hard before the warranty runs out and get a new engine/rebuild.

I like your plan of the JDM car though.
Old 24 April 2012, 09:33 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I think you will find there is a clause written in about abusing the car (Subaru for track use). Using it on the track may Null your warranty. I have heard of Subaru putting spotters at track days to get details of Subaru's on the track for this reason.
Old 24 April 2012, 09:48 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Watch what you post on here regards warranty's. You never know who's looking and trust me they do look
Old 24 April 2012, 10:22 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Unless they actually pictured your car on track they could never prove you blew it up on the track.
And Subaru spotters at track days, lol..... Don't believe that for one second I'm afraid.

Use the car on track, if it goes pop then have it rebuilt under warranty and if for some crazy reason Mr Subaru is on track when/if it goes then have it rebuilt by a tuner like your considering anyway.

And I believe non competitive track use does not void warranties. Racing or timed laps are different but that's not what you intend to do.

Last edited by MattyB1983; 24 April 2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 24 April 2012, 10:23 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rob84
Watch what you post on here regards warranty's. You never know who's looking and trust me they do look
No way will I be putting my hatch on track whilst it is still in warranty, bad enough if it failed whilst on the road without the worry of my claim being invalidated because I did a track day.

D
Old 25 April 2012, 07:54 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Of course all Subaru do is put it back like they made it, and even that isn't always done well! If you want to fix these cars you need to do it yourself.
I'd say it's worth the pain, as the results are very good indeed when they are sorted.
Old 25 April 2012, 04:42 PM
dsemuk
Scooby Regular

Being realistic I should just get the engine sorted sooner rather than later on the hatch.

Whilst buying a second car for trackdays may sound a good idea, I will still have to get the hatch engine sorted at some point.