Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Has anyone done a weight saving/MPG excercise with Wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2012, 12:10 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone done a weight saving/MPG excercise with Wheels ?

Ive been looking at reducing weight in my car, without losing the A/C and other essential homely features as heating and stereo etc..

When I first swapped my OEM 17" Subaru wheels for TD Monza 18"'s, I noticed a 3MPG drop on the trip computer. I kept the monzas, much better looking wheels.

Meanwhile... Ive got rid of my spare and jack, changed the bonnet to a fibre glass carbon coated bonnet, frp front bumper, lightened flywheel and some other bits which make little contributions to my overall weight savings.

Ive read online that wheel savings equal x 10 the savings on the car weight momentum. i.e. to do 40mph with lightweight wheels uses less fuel than 40mph using the heavy wheels, not just because of the actual weight difference in wheels, but the amount of effort the engine has to put into making 40mph.

I havent got a clue how heavy my wheels are, but according to the blab above, if I can cut 5kg off each wheel thats 20kg of the stationary weight, its an equivalent of 200kg's off the weight momentum.

Id love to see some figures on this if anyone has gone through the excercise. Unfortunately, I only have the one set of wheels so I cant do this experiment. I definitely know it does make a difference as I lost 3mpg, which is quite a bit for wheels. If I could squeeze 5mpg just on lightweights that would be great. Not just for petrol savings but in improved acceleration and handling.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:19 PM
Carlh
Scooby Regular

i think i have overestimated the 200kg and its more like 80kg savings (which still is loads)
Old 26 April 2012, 02:16 PM
PWD 1979
Scooby Regular

I'm only speculating but I bet theres not much in it;
Your computer is saying 3mpg less but what it doesn't know is for every revolution of your larger wheels you are actually travelling further than every revolution on 17's so it probably evens out somewhere along the line. It depends upon whether you have lower profile tyres to compensate for the increased wheel diameter.

There will definitely be handling advantages to any reduction in the unsprung weight on each corner.
Old 26 April 2012, 02:20 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PWD 1979
I'm only speculating but I bet theres not much in it;
Your computer is saying 3mpg less but what it doesn't know is for every revolution of your larger wheels you are actually travelling further than every revolution on 17's so it probably evens out somewhere along the line. It depends upon whether you have lower profile tyres to compensate for the increased wheel diameter.

There will definitely be handling advantages to any reduction in the unsprung weight on each corner.

I dont think thats correct. When you go up a wheel size you usually come down a side wall size so the circumference stays the same does it not?
Old 26 April 2012, 02:22 PM
ramdor
Scooby Regular

I just go to the loo before heading out, saves a load of bother
Old 26 April 2012, 03:57 PM
Maz
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ramdor
I just go to the loo before heading out, saves a load of bother
Nah don't believe you, you're full of ****.
Old 26 April 2012, 05:12 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

It's all about unsprung weight Carl.

This may help with the wheels.

http://www.wheelweights.net/
Old 26 April 2012, 07:10 PM
jh1-2009
Scooby Regular

Unsprung weight reduction is around 6 times more effective than removing weight from the rest of the car.
Old 26 April 2012, 07:38 PM
jay-sti
Scooby Regular

Well i have one of the lightest wheels available on my sti (oz superlegera) and its still shocking on fuel

Average 18 mpg
Old 27 April 2012, 03:00 PM
PWD 1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by g7prs
I dont think thats correct. When you go up a wheel size you usually come down a side wall size so the circumference stays the same does it not?
Not necessarily the case but I did say "It depends upon whether you have lower profile tyres to compensate for the increased wheel diameter."

I think you're right in that there is very little in it either way. Main point is reduced un-spring weight is a good thing!!
Old 27 April 2012, 03:03 PM
PWD 1979
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carlh
Ive been looking at reducing weight in my car, without losing the A/C and other essential homely features as heating and stereo etc..

When I first swapped my OEM 17" Subaru wheels for TD Monza 18"'s, I noticed a 3MPG drop on the trip computer. I kept the monzas, much better looking wheels.

Meanwhile... Ive got rid of my spare and jack, changed the bonnet to a fibre glass carbon coated bonnet, frp front bumper, lightened flywheel and some other bits which make little contributions to my overall weight savings.

Ive read online that wheel savings equal x 10 the savings on the car weight momentum. i.e. to do 40mph with lightweight wheels uses less fuel than 40mph using the heavy wheels, not just because of the actual weight difference in wheels, but the amount of effort the engine has to put into making 40mph.

I havent got a clue how heavy my wheels are, but according to the blab above, if I can cut 5kg off each wheel thats 20kg of the stationary weight, its an equivalent of 200kg's off the weight momentum.

Id love to see some figures on this if anyone has gone through the excercise. Unfortunately, I only have the one set of wheels so I cant do this experiment. I definitely know it does make a difference as I lost 3mpg, which is quite a bit for wheels. If I could squeeze 5mpg just on lightweights that would be great. Not just for petrol savings but in improved acceleration and handling.
It'll get a lot less to the gallon if you get a flat tyre and have no spare or jack!!