Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Reported to the police for Speeding and Dangerous......

Search this Thread

Old 06 May 2002, 10:56 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Just been reported for speeding and dangerous driving today by a bloke and his wife who where`nt too impressed by me setting up my car outside thier village

Picture the scene.Perfectly straight road, approx. 1/2 mile long, layby at each end, perfect for setting the car up on.(Boost wise).

Well there i am blasting up and down (and with a Blitz NUR spec. Exhaust, i mean blasting), stopping at each end to adjust me Dawes device.Well on about the forth(ish) time i couldnt get to turn acrross the road into the layby on the opposite side of the road because of oncoming traffic, so i continued over a little bridge into the village, and turned around there.On coming out of the village there`s two very young girls on horses coming along the road, having just come out of a field.Well i crested the bridge (still in 30) and saw them.At this point i completely let off the throttle (not gunning it anyway but the car is LOUD) and coasted past them.No Problem.Pulled up in layby to adjust Dawes.

So there i am, bonnet up, and this 4x4 comes past and pulls into layby, both occupants looking at me, so there i am thinking "oh, they`ve stopped to help me" , when the next thing i get a woman in my face "WHAT THE HELL YOU DOING SPEEDING THROUGH THE VILLAGE AND NEARLY KILLING MY DAUGHTERS!!!!!"(Turns out they`ve been watching me for the past 1.4hr from another field)

Next thing their on the phone and calling the police!

Cut along story short the coppers turned up, they tell them their story (with sound effects of my car howling through the village ) etc.ect. Cops come to talk to me, i give my side of the story (i.e. loud exhaust(just seem`s i`m speeding when i`m not), .....setting car up in National speed limit and mearly turned around in 30 zone). Cops see my side and manage to diffuse the situation, and i get away with a producer.

Thing thats bugging me though, the copper said he`d have to fill in a report, and that if i get reported again for the same/simular then it will come up on the computer and its possible that todays incedent will be taken into account and i could get done for both!

Not happy about this, especially as i`ve already had two glares from old blokes (both with walking sticks funnily enough) tonight just because of the exhaust.All it would take would be for them to "report me" and i`d be up **** creek

Is it true what the copper said or is he just trying to put the frighteners on me??

Rich.
Old 06 May 2002, 11:57 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Angry

Sounds a bit unfair

Why not ask at the desk when you hand in your producer?

Also, check that your exhaust is actually legal (there must be noise limits) or you are inviting further trouble - especially as "the country bumpkins" are on your case. They were probably in the pub earlier moaning about that boy racers over a G&T or twelve (before driving home in their field-cruisers).

mb
Old 06 May 2002, 11:58 PM
R BURNS
Scooby Regular

BULL ****. THEY GOT TO HAVE HARD PROOF .ANY WAY WHAT WERE THE DOUGHTERS LIKE ANY SHAPE IN THEM ??????????? DONT LET THEM BULLY YOU MATE.
Old 07 May 2002, 12:51 AM
brendy
Scooby Regular

I would'nt worry about it - the police are very unlikely to have even recorded this incident as they cannot prosecute.
Remember it is your word against theirs - you can blatently lie and they cannot prove you are wrong so don't worry - forget it!
Old 07 May 2002, 08:07 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

er... guys I hate to rain on your parade but there not lying.
yes it does seem unfair but when you passed the horses did you pass them at 30 etc? or did you really slow down (15-20ish)..
I have also had the were recording you with a caution and it will count against you etc etc. Although I never heard about being prosicuted for both . I'm amaised the coppers didnt do a roadside test of you car (emissions and volume).
ah well live n learn.
Old 07 May 2002, 08:38 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Thing is, the police did what most would do, as I would. It would have been possible to take statements from the "witnesses" which in this case you state that as well as the 2 daughters on the horses, there were also people in a field watching.

Then a file could have been prepared for some driving offence, which off the top of my head could have been due care? If it had gotten to court, then you would have been expected to trash it out against the witnesses, not the police.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, a quick word was all that was needed. The producer was probably to appease the "reporter" so that if they complain in x days, then the inspector could say "the driver was processed".

So the long and short of the story is, you could have been processed, but weren't.
Old 07 May 2002, 08:45 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

They can't and won't prosecute you this time and they certainly won't be able to refer to an "alleged" offence in the future either. In fact, I believe that they cannot refer to a previous conviction in court either.....

Matt.
Old 07 May 2002, 08:54 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Richie - where in Leeds was it? Which subdivision? Weetwood? Chapeltown? wetherby?
Old 07 May 2002, 08:54 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Question

Burr,

How long does this information stay on the computers for? Is it subject to the data protection act?
Old 07 May 2002, 09:01 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which village??

David
Old 07 May 2002, 09:06 AM
Zagangaphile
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yes,

Where abouts was it?

We can then hold the next massive scooby meet there
Old 07 May 2002, 09:10 AM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Richie,

I doubt you will hear about it again... but I would keep it down for a month or so.... Bloody Interfearers you took care when their daughters were around.

Anyway, how do you find your Blitz??? I've just ordered one
Old 07 May 2002, 09:24 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

I had something similar a few years ago (glad to hear about the 6months only).

I was waiting to turn right onto a main road and the lights when green and I turned right.. immediately there was a predestrian crossing and the lights were red for it. The crossing was so close to the junction that it looked like the repeater lights for the main road. I realised at the last minute and screached to a hult.. behind the line and without a problem. This block with his kids was about to cross and went mental.. kicked the car hurled abuse etc.. I just told him to f off etc.. as I had done nothing wrong although I could see how he could get annoyed but not that annoyed.. anyway...
Before I know it I have a letter through accusing me of jumping the whole set of lights?! which explains why he was so annoyed as he thought I had gone through a red light and turned right.. etc..
I was interviewed and although there was no one there at the time these two witnesses had appeared... mates of his I presume..
anyway they just gave me a caution in the end..
It is very difficult to prove your innocents.. now if anything happens ever I just appologise lots as someone can see things totally wrong or to there advantage and bye bye licence and bye bye job and bye bye house etc... very scary..

Talking of similar could I prececute the block that pulled out in front of me on the motorway this morning then swapped lanes nearly and back again whilst talking on his mobile?!

JGM
Old 07 May 2002, 09:36 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

I woke up one morning, went to my friends house driving safely (about 1 and a half miles).... drove to KFC safely..parked it outside KFC, and a police car pulled up next to me and i saw a copper come out to KFC... I thought...greedy bugger supposed to be working... then when i drove off.. I was stopped by the police and he said i was reported today for dangerous driving by a member of the public..and asked me to produce my documents and all... But i don't get it!! I always drive safely but as i really wasn't getting done for anything, i just left it. Don't know what they do....always wasting peoples time!
Old 07 May 2002, 10:10 AM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

they can not do a thing that incident you had is worthless!! will always be they have no proof even if you get caught again if you do speed this incident is invalid. no proof!!!
Old 07 May 2002, 10:12 AM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

to be honest... police may be of some use. They do there job, but meanwhile and in most cases they waste time and get paid.!
Old 07 May 2002, 10:33 AM
carpet
Scooby Regular

Why dont you go for a walk in the village on weekends and when you see the old farts who complained about you, phone the police and say they were speeding and nearly run you off the road

moany ole cntus !!
Old 07 May 2002, 10:40 AM
RICH WILD
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

What a bunch of W@nkers.

They're just jealous m8, young, handsome chap like yourself with a nice motor

Shame they've got nothing else better to do really.

Some people are just soooo bloody melodramatic (Nearly killed our daughters) oh, yeah right!

at the end of the day, like everyone says, PROVE IT, otherwise GET THE F*CK OUT OF MY FACE! It's their word against yours at the end of the day. The Cops were just trying to frighten you into behaving.

Speeding requires corroboration. Did the horses have radar guns on board? I think not.

I get it all the time, old biddies waving walking sticks etc.
Sad B@stards!

Rich
Old 07 May 2002, 10:42 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

if you have an "incident" on file then next time a police car follows you and runs a check wont it show up? hence they will be more likley to pull you over and give you greif.

Tiggs
Old 07 May 2002, 10:43 AM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Angry

Richi,what village, could be worth a big meet, as mentioned above
And Jolly Green, surely if someone was being threatening (possibly abusive as well) and if they kicked your car, surely they have committed an offence?[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Really gets on my wick these so called do-gooders. They send their 10p to an Ethiopian "adopted" child each week and see a few episodes of Casualty and that gives them a parking place on the high moral ground.
Old 07 May 2002, 10:54 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LMFAO @ scoobynutta555

David
Old 07 May 2002, 11:06 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I think the problem was as far as the Police were aware he had witnesses so I must have done it etc.. and they made it out that perhaps (we are not saying you did) but just perhaps you are saying he kicked your car to try and defelect from jumping the light etc.. there was nothing I could do.. the more I moaned the more it looked like I did it and was not willing to live up to my actions and responsibilities etc.. although I was very tempted when the eventually wrote saying it was a caution and would appear on my record etc to write back and say sorry not willing to accept that take me to court or forget it.. then I decided to count my chickens and live with it.

JGM
Old 07 May 2002, 12:04 PM
Molds
Scooby Regular

False or exagerated claims are very frustrating and can cause much greif.

My girlfriend had action threatened against her for "hitting" someones car in a c/p. True she had been in the c/p that day and at about the time reported. However the car she was driving -Grandads Maestro :-) didn't even have a smudge in the dirt anywhere!

She got Police letters, so did her Grandad, then insurance co. got heavy.

All this because someone apparently "witnessed" this and was prepared to stand by the claimer.

After a family friend who is a a Copper had checked the car over I wrote a **** off letter to both insurance and Police.

It is worrying though that if enough biddies, who have "chinese whispered" the story over a cup of tea all stand together can put you right in the siht! Or anyone else for that matter.

Not right and makes me very angry. I wanted to find out who had put the false claim in against my girlfriend and make sure they had something to claim about... Grrr She had been driving for only a couple of months and didnt want to go back out after this.

Can see that this thread will touch various berves with everyone! Maybe the biggest nr of replies to a post in history by the time it finishes.

M
Old 07 May 2002, 01:56 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

I think that the moral of this is not to bravely stand up to whingers, but maybe to be calm and quiet in 30 mph limits - esp in the country.

What I can get up to in my 300bhp Scoob would be enough to give my mum a coronary if she sat in the passanger seat!

These cars operate on a different level, and can be very noisy - just keep that in mind and keep it cool in some quaint old village! You too will be a jumpy over-nervous pensioner one day - it goes with the ageing process unfortunately...

Ohh and horses should be kept in fields, not paraded on A Roads - however if you come across them, swear under your breath and go at 10 mph for a few secs!

There are ways of avoiding unecessary grief!
Old 07 May 2002, 02:37 PM
mark d
Scooby Regular

Can the police get anything right?

In a previous car I had a guy reverse into me at a junction then take off. I got his registration number, gave it to the police and they failed to track him down! I would have thought the DVLA would have the owners details????? Apparently each time they caught up with a potential owner he had bought it for cash off some geezer down the pub.

Hence my ridiculous insurance premiums (I also had someone smash my car up while it was parked up a side road and I wasn't in it - a witness gave me a reg. but it was wrong). I'm tempted to take it to small claims court. Does anyone know how to find the owner of a vehicle without having a mate in the police?
Old 07 May 2002, 03:37 PM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Burr,

I was not having ago at you or the Police by the way.

I think it is a very difficult and sometimes impossible job to establish the truth in a situation..

The other guy produced witnesses from thin air... made it look like I was guilty so the Police could do nothing but follow what seemed obvious.

JGM
Old 07 May 2002, 03:56 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

no - not necessarily what you said...... mainly other posts tbh.
Old 07 May 2002, 04:01 PM
mark d
Scooby Regular

Burr,

Sorry if you got offended by my comment.

I appreciate they have a nightmare job - I'm just pi$$ed off because I've had a £2k rise in insurance because the police have failed to track down two vehicles that caused large amounts of damage to mine and caused two large claims off my insurance.
Old 07 May 2002, 04:13 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

It's getting to the point in this Country that if you have a fast car and use it, everyone is out to persicute (sp) you. Every time I boot it passed some dawedler I'm paranoid I'm going to be reported for speeding or dangerous driving just for overtaking.

As people have said, it's your word against theirs. You still end up with the producer etc. You're the one inconvienced. And it p!sses me off.

If someone has a go at the Traffic Lights, just pull out the Maglight and mash the Basta#ds. Give'm something to complain about.

P.
Old 07 May 2002, 04:13 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

problem you have is the antiquated way of registering vehicles.

take this for example - put yourself in the shoes of a villain. You buy a car off a bloke in the pub - and he gives you the V5. You have no intention of insuring it, are you likely to fill in the V5 reg document???? I think not.

The only tool the police have in tracking these vehicles is through intelligence and stop-checks. Unfortunately we can see quite evidently how the saying "thick as thieves" came about - quite similar to the "code of silence" in the Damilola gangs in Peckham. They won't drop each other in it.

(They being the less law-abiding amongst us)

Put it this way - a lad was put up at court for no insurance last month by a colleague of mine, and got a £30 fine from the magistrate! Some deterrent eh?

Quick Reply: Reported to the police for Speeding and Dangerous......