ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which Subtle Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2012, 09:46 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Subtle Mods?

I have had my Scooby Impreza WRX 03 for a few years now and still loving it. Its standard apart from an aftermarket back back. I think its now time to do a few subtle mods to it. I use the car as a daily drive so not looking for massive gains but just a few things that will make it feel a bit more urgent and raw and make it handle a little better.

I have read that changing the panel filter, ECU remap, prodrive springs and whiteline anti roll bars is the way forward. Would this be correct? If so, then any preference on what panel filter and ECU remap is the one most people recommend?

Also, anything else worth upgrading like the turbo, intercooler, dump valve, induction kit or are these either a waste of money or more suitable when looking for much higher performance gains?

Any tips and recommendations really appreciated.
Old 25 May 2012, 10:56 AM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

When I did mine these were the first bits to go on,

Green cotton panel filter
Ninja 2 back box
Afterburner de-resonated centre section
Open source remap (duncan)

That addressed the increase in power I was initially after then I addressed the handling and braking with,

BC RM series coilovers, you could just get springs to keep cost down (eibachs)
K-sport 8 pots with 330mm discs

I've taken the power further since then but your looking at spending a whole lot more to get there. If I was you I'd go with a cat back exhaust package, decent panel filter and remap to suit, you will notice the difference it's a much more urgent car afterwards. Don't forget to do something about the braking, the standard setup is pretty shocking as it is. A decent set of pads and discs at the very least is a good option.
Old 25 May 2012, 12:14 PM
chopperman
Scooby Regular

Re-map by one of the great mapper we have dotted around the country. May seem expensive at first but once you feel the difference you will it's money well spent.

I use Bob Rawle and have EcuTek RoaceRom. Made a huge difference.
Old 25 May 2012, 02:07 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chopperman
Re-map by one of the great mapper we have dotted around the country. May seem expensive at first but once you feel the difference you will it's money well spent.

I use Bob Rawle and have EcuTek RoaceRom. Made a huge difference.

He can't have RaceROM(RaceROM is only for 05-06 onwards cars),he can have similar like RaceROM(CarBerry ROM),which doing A.Carr or can do any other OS mappers

Jura
Old 25 May 2012, 02:11 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Best upgrades for your WRX will be K&N or Green Cotton panel filter,Remap,Decat exhaust,STi Up pipe and 255lph Fuel pump(HRC are good and cheap and offering 2 years warranty)

With those mods you should make around 260-280bhp,if you want go above that you will be looking at more mods as VF34/VF35,STi pink injectors,STI TMIC,3-port boost solenoid plus other mods which can bring you at 330-350bhp

Jura
Old 25 May 2012, 03:14 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the advice so far. Really appreciate it.

About 260bhp - 280bhp would be great. Anything above that is going to get costly right and I think I would sooner put the money towards an STi.

I understand what all the other items do like decat, remap, filter etc but what is the benifit of changing to a 255lph Fuel pump??
Old 25 May 2012, 03:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Linus27
Thanks for all the advice so far. Really appreciate it.

About 260bhp - 280bhp would be great. Anything above that is going to get costly right and I think I would sooner put the money towards an STi.

I understand what all the other items do like decat, remap, filter etc but what is the benifit of changing to a 255lph Fuel pump??
Hi there

Your fuel pump is all ready 9 years old and can fail

Jura
Old 25 May 2012, 11:53 PM
Linus27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jura11
Hi there

Your fuel pump is all ready 9 years old and can fail

Jura
Ok thanks. That can go on the list also
Old 26 May 2012, 07:22 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

I'd go for the above but change the order slightly.
  1. Updated pads (possibly disks if worn) - speak to Alyn at as performance or Ian at Godspeed
  2. Anti roll bars, most use whiteline I have a set of Eibachs (which haven't rusted!) with updated drop links front & rear.
  3. Lowering springs, Eibach or Prodrive check the health of your shocks as well, if worn look at KYBs for replacement. If you need to do both consider coilovers as they won't be too much more (I like many others run BCs which are a good price/quality)
  4. good fast road suspension set-possibly adding rear camber bolts to allow enough camber.
  5. Decat or sports cat exhaust go 3', panel filter (green or K & N), decat up-pipe (if needed on an 03), fuel pump (255) and remap.

Last edited by BlueBugEye; 26 May 2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Damn iPad predictive text!