ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What else do i need for 400bhp

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2012, 11:14 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What else do i need for 400bhp

Hi hope someone can help me out here this one..
I have an STI V8 Blobeye.
It currently has a walbro fuel pump
de-cat down pipe
HKS exhaust
Ecutek mapped ECU
And RCM intake

Will be collecting my Andy forest TD05 20G sometime next week along with a set of 560cc injectors.

Is there anything else I will need ?

Will I need a 3 port boost solnoid ?
What about ported headers ?
Fuel pressure regulator ?
Will I need to buy some new injector seals ?
New plugs ? What type/make ?

Obviously I will need to get my ECU remapped and I'm trying to sort everything out to be fitted on the day of the remap so I don't want any nasty surprises..
Old 27 July 2012, 11:40 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, I`d also go for a 3 port for better boost control and FPR as 560cc injectors are borderline for 400bhp so should be able to squeeze a bit more through them with a regulator, For what they cost get a set of NGK PFR7B plugs, about £25 off the bay and you should be good to go, Dont get upset if you only make 399 though, Its all about how it drives
Old 27 July 2012, 11:43 PM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an STI V8 Blobeye. good car
It currently has a walbro fuel pump thats fine as long as its walbro 255
de-cat down pipe 3" i hope
HKS exhaust cool
Ecutek mapped ECU who is the mapper
And RCM intake cool

Will be collecting my Andy forest TD05 20G sometime next week along with a set of 560cc injectors. please do not buy this turbo unless its a biliet. the 20g is very laggy with a 2lt block, its better with 2.1 and above and the 550cc (560cc?) should see 380 max but i could be wrong on the injectors. look for a md321 t or h or an sc42.

ngk pfr7b spark plugs. fuel rails with fuel pressure reg. when was your clutch changed? pistons and gear box should be all good
Will I need a 3 port boost solnoid ? yes helps the mapper and the car to boost
What about ported headers ? Harvey smith headers or FiestaBoy also does it, depending where u r.
Fuel pressure regulator ? as above yes u will need it

Obviously I will need to get my ECU remapped and I'm trying to sort everything out to be fitted on the day of the remap so I don't want any nasty surprises..[/quote]
Old 28 July 2012, 12:05 AM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

I would go upto 650's or 740's on the injectors to give you a bit of future proofing and I don't think it is a good idea to run the injectors at almost 100% duty as it could limit the ability of the ECU to make slight adjustments. That is my view so don't kick me for it.
I have my bugeye STi running at 440 bhp on standard internals. I fitted a APS parallel fuel system ate the same time through personal choice, just don't get a cheap and nasty FPR off e-bay. Good lick and get the graphs posted after it is done.

Last edited by 360ste; 28 July 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 28 July 2012, 12:20 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Will be sticking with the AFTD05 as it is paid for already I'm getting it quite cheap from a family member. Not sure if it is a billet but not too bothered about a bit of lag and was informed the VVT heads on the STI8 helped with lag issues.

Can anyone give me any more info on the fuel pressure regulator side of things what to get where to buy and so on ?

Would like ideally some 600cc injectors but my budget is quite tight at the moment so will just see what Andy F reckons about the 560s.
Anywhere above 380 bhp and I will be happy..
Old 28 July 2012, 12:23 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

B16MSU265 The 2.5 hawkeye wrx injectors are 562cc so I'm told.. The Sti pinks that I have are 500cc but most people think they are 550s
And the original mapper was scooby clinic but I'm going to get it remapped by Andy forest.

Last edited by GoML-STi; 28 July 2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 28 July 2012, 02:03 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

As above 650cc injectors should be best or try source WRX 440's which you can get them re-flowed to 840's..

PFR7B I would recommend and about the FPR would say with STi pink or Hawkeye Blue you will need this.FueLab are best and mostly used,Aeromotive FPR should be good too

Jura

Trending Topics

Old 28 July 2012, 02:21 AM
sani555
Scooby Regular

Harvey can supply Fuelab FPR and gauge, you will also need FPR adapter and some fuel hose and clamps for installation.

Last edited by sani555; 28 July 2012 at 02:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 28 July 2012, 02:30 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys will try and get through to see Harvey and have a chat with him as he is not too far away from my UK address.
Old 28 July 2012, 03:04 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/members-ga...ods-begin.html

Above link is an identical setup to what your about to do

Hope it helps, and ref spool, use 20% meth and all the lag theory will be out of the window. Andrew Forest, Scooby Clinic, and Harvey's 20G's are renowned for early spool and power delivery, so if your getting a genuine AF20g then you'll be happy with the results. No doubt you'll want more once your mapped and a few weeks in, but don't we all!

STI pinks will make 400 with a decent FPR but you may as well ditch this and get your pinks reflowed by Lateral. My pinks are tested to 840cc, but they can actually flow 900cc on full tilt.

Hope this helps buddy.

Some other friendly pointers for you to consider would be, are you retaining the standard plastic inlet pipe? It's a little restrictive! Are you staying with the STI TMIC? It will see 400 at ease but if you decide to go further with power you will need to swap to FMIC, so is it worth doing now? Also how many miles on the clutch? What are you going to stop the car with now it can go faster?

Good luck,

Rob from the Dom rep
Old 28 July 2012, 07:05 AM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by GoML-STi
Thanks guys. Will be sticking with the AFTD05 as it is paid for already I'm getting it quite cheap from a family member. Not sure if it is a billet but not too bothered about a bit of lag and was informed the VVT heads on the STI8 helped with lag issues.

Can anyone give me any more info on the fuel pressure regulator side of things what to get where to buy and so on ?

Would like ideally some 600cc injectors but my budget is quite tight at the moment so will just see what Andy F reckons about the 560s.
Anywhere above 380 bhp and I will be happy..
Have a word with Millenium Racer on here he has some injectors for sale.
Old 28 July 2012, 10:55 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

STI pinks will make 400 with a decent FPR but you may as well ditch this and get your pinks reflowed by Lateral. My pinks are tested to 840cc, but they can actually flow 900cc on full tilt.

Am I correct in thinking the pinks are 500cc and not 550s. If the 500s can make 400 with a fuel pressure regulator does this mean the 562s can make it without. I don't need to future proof like most people recommend as 400 is my absolute max limit.
Old 28 July 2012, 01:03 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

As I know nothing at all about fuel pressure regulators I would like to know what would be the cheapest way to get the correct fueling. How much do FPRs cost what FPR do I need to buy and would it be cheaper just to buy some used 650s that to buy some used 560s and a FPR together.
Old 28 July 2012, 01:32 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

I used my std pinks on my v8 and achieved 422hp / 400lbs in 2008. This was on a syvecs (solaris then) with a 3 bar map sensor. Upgrades were 3" exhaust, headers, fmic, sc46 turbo and k&n induction kit. It was very quick spooling and realiable.
Old 28 July 2012, 01:59 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Jags would that not be maxing out or even running I've 100% duty though?

A good FPR will cost about the same as some injectors (then sell yours on) or the same price as reflowing your injectors. But fuel lab or Sard are good ones if genuine, you'll need the gauge too
Old 28 July 2012, 02:04 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Ok guys thanks for your imput
Old 28 July 2012, 02:39 PM
Scooby B
Scooby Regular

Sounds like a similar spec to my newage, I got sc42, fmic, 800 injectors, perrin induction, fuel pressure regulator, full decat, 3 port and simtek ecu = 420BHP!
Old 28 July 2012, 02:59 PM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

I have an STI V8 Blobeye.
It currently has a walbro fuel pump
de-cat down pipe
HKS exhaust
Ecutek mapped ECU
And RCM intake

Will be collecting my Andy forest TD05 20G sometime next week along with a set of 560cc injectors.

Will I need a 3 port boost solnoid ?
What about ported headers ?
Fuel pressure regulator ?

Obviously I will need to get my ECU remapped and I'm trying to sort everything out to be fitted on the day of the remap so I don't want any nasty surprises..
I was in the same situation as u until Last week! To cut story short, I struggled to make 400bhp with the turbo ur going for, it was laggy on a 2.0l engine n feels awful on the road. I finally saved up and got myself a brand new billet sc42 n New simtec ecu along with lateral 740cc injectors, They're not expensive and always good for more power in the future. As for headers I went lateral headers with Harvey trick up pipe for even quicker spool. My car was finally mapped by Simon at jgm n made a decent 402bhp on v-power with 1.5bar of boost, and with 20% meth we got 423.5bhp. I'm now waiting for my 3bar map sensor to achieve more power.

Tbh.. The right choice of turbo is gona be the main thing to get u to 400bhp! I find The sc42 is a fantastic turbo n the spool is truly amazing, I have not regretted leaving the afp20g turbo. I now am really happy with the car. Hope u get ur 400bhp soon!
Old 28 July 2012, 03:24 PM
JP4
Scooby Regular

Location: 700+ WR1 aka The Vuvu Zela...10.6 @ 136 weighing 1370kg....say no more....

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Jags would that not be maxing out or even running I've 100% duty though?

A good FPR will cost about the same as some injectors (then sell yours on) or the same price as reflowing your injectors. But fuel lab or Sard are good ones if genuine, you'll need the gauge too
Not on mine Rob as at the time Pat H said there was more there but due to longevity preservation we didnt increase on boost. Olly Clark and Paul Blamire were surprised how quick it spooled up. Ecu played a big part.
Old 28 July 2012, 07:16 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyken
I was in the same situation as u until Last week! To cut story short, I struggled to make 400bhp with the turbo ur going for, it was laggy on a 2.0l engine n feels awful on the road. I finally saved up and got myself a brand new billet sc42 n New simtec ecu along with lateral 740cc injectors, They're not expensive and always good for more power in the future. As for headers I went lateral headers with Harvey trick up pipe for even quicker spool. My car was finally mapped by Simon at jgm n made a decent 402bhp on v-power with 1.5bar of boost, and with 20% meth we got 423.5bhp. I'm now waiting for my 3bar map sensor to achieve more power.

Tbh.. The right choice of turbo is gona be the main thing to get u to 400bhp! I find The sc42 is a fantastic turbo n the spool is truly amazing, I have not regretted leaving the afp20g turbo. I now am really happy with the car. Hope u get ur 400bhp soon!
Thanks possibly the most helpful reply I have had so far. I believe the turbo I'm getting is the billet version of the TD05 20g so shouldn't be so bad on spool up. Going to get some Harvey headers and up pipe will look at lateral performance for some bigger injectors and I will be happy with anything over 380 bhp.
Old 28 July 2012, 07:55 PM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

Your welcome, don't think u need to go fmic yet as they're good for 400bhp. I put one on cos my bodykit left a hole behind the bumper and it looked rubbish! Lol
Old 28 July 2012, 08:50 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobyken
Your welcome, don't think u need to go fmic yet as they're good for 400bhp. I put one on cos my bodykit left a hole behind the bumper and it looked rubbish! Lol
Ye wasn't planning on goin fmic as was led to believe that would only add to the laggfactor of the 20g.
Old 28 July 2012, 09:30 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Am I correct in thinking the pinks are 500cc and not 550s. If the 500s can make 400 with a fuel pressure regulator does this mean the 562s can make it without. I don't need to future proof like most people recommend as 400 is my absolute max limit.
Pinks are actually 565cc so more than enough headroom
Old 28 July 2012, 09:46 PM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1586

According to scoobyworld the pinks are flow rated at 505cc
Saying that it seems plenty of people are getting more power than I require from them so I obviously don't need to change them.
Old 29 July 2012, 12:17 AM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

I was told by Paul at zen when he was mapping my ecutek on the apf20g, my sti injectors were maxed out n that was around the 360bhp mark! He was sure they were 550cc injectors! So if ur looking at 380-400, it's definately worth investing £175 for some better flowing injectors or u will waste ur own and the mappers time. U will end up unhappy as u haven't reached the target u were hoping for, then wait another few weeks for the remap again!
Old 29 July 2012, 12:40 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Wink

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog...oducts_id=1586

According to scoobyworld the pinks are flow rated at 505cc
Saying that it seems plenty of people are getting more power than I require from them so I obviously don't need to change them.
Well according to STI they are 565cc, think ill go with what they say
Old 29 July 2012, 02:53 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I've done 430 on pinks with a Sard FPR and FMIC. Pinks will do 400 with a FPR easily, however the cost of a FPR you may as well go for larger or reflowed injectors instead (just my opinion)

You may make 380 without either the FPR or larger injectors. I know of a few WRXs that have made over 320 on standard injectors, duty over maxed out though.

This was 420 ish
Old 29 July 2012, 04:41 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

So many different opinions lol. ScoobyKen can u tell me where I can find some bigger injectors for £175 because all the ones I'm finding seem to be over £500..
Old 29 July 2012, 04:42 AM
GoML-STi
Scooby Regular

Would look into getting them reflowed but can't have the car off the road as I use it 6 days a week..
Old 29 July 2012, 11:14 AM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

I purchased mine from lateral performance for £175, they are exchange items so once u fit the new injectors just send ur sti pinks back to him. mark is always helpful and have them ready to be sent out straight away. It's a much better way than spending £500 for a new set, even tho I'm running in the 400bhp figure, my injectors are only using around 80% so a little more room for improvements for future upgrades.

Quick Reply: What else do i need for 400bhp