Exhaust change, some questions?

Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2012, 01:16 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust change, some questions?

Hi guys,

My 2003 Blobeye STi is in getting it's back box changed over. It seems to be a Japspeed or the like...

I was never happy with the box hanging down so picked up a Prodrive back box. I like the fact it sits high in the cavity designed for it and the quieter sound. Thing is when it was due to be bolted on, turns out the mid section is too long. It's probably the cat back or turbo back sections from Japspeed. Ok, fine, will just cut and weld the back box to fit as the area on mid section where the cut would be is a resonator. I'm fine with that, but my mechanic has phoned and said that the mid section is 3" and the back box is 2.5". He's going to fit a 3" to 2.5" adaptor.

How will this affect the car? Will it cause a problem coming from 3" to 2.5"?

Also, he says there is no cat on it at all, so looks like the japspeed system is from the turbo back. Does the STi have two cats or just one? This was MOT'd before I bought it, how did it get through???

Mmmm... I think I better get this to Andy Forrest to check if this has been mapped. If it's been decatted I have no way of knowing if it's been mapped or not, thoughts?

My, isn't this fun?

Cheers,
Lenny
Old 16 August 2012, 01:35 PM
b16msu265
Scooby Regular

Ok I'm interested in this also as I have a 3" japspeed turbo back which has a de cat down pipe. As far as I'm aware there isn't a bracket that will make the 3" to a 2.5"
With the mot side of it with the exhaust it has on now it shouldn't pass. Unless its a friendly mot place. Pro drive have a 200 cel sports cat and I think the centre pipe as well but not to sure about the centre. Hope this helps
Old 16 August 2012, 01:39 PM
The Tog
Scooby Regular

Next to my mechanic is a custom exhaust place, they will flare a small adaptor pipe from 3" to 2.5".