Newbie Here

Search this Thread

Old 21 August 2012, 05:54 PM
CJGREEN
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Newbie Here

Hello all.

Currently have had a Renaultsport Clio 182 for the past 2 years (in feb '13) and have got to the point where ive done everything I want with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherjamesgreen/6973577759/http://www.flickr.com/photos/christopherjamesgreen/6973577759/ by http://www.flickr.com/people/christopherjamesgreen/, on Flickr

Ive been after a Subaru for ever and now the insurance isnt that bad from what I've seen so far! £1600 best price ive had from Admiral on a comparison site. Im 23 with 6yrs NCB (after october 14th).

Ive been looking into the differences between the WRX and the STI models, from what ive seen is the STI has a 6 speed box? Thats pretty much all ive seen, apart from the obvious body modifications and things.

As for model im after, im open to anything from 2002 to 2008. Looking to spend 9-10k at the most (preferably 8500 for what ive seen at that price).

Whats the things to look out for when viewing or test driving?

Whats the general costs or most expensive things to fix/replace if broken?

Anything else i should know or think about?

Thanks,

James.
Old 21 August 2012, 08:13 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

Hi James, welcome to the site

The WRX and STI are pretty different beasties... drive both if you can and decide which one suits you best. You're right, the STI has the 6 speed box with DCCD, has Brembo brakes, tougher pistons and a few other things like intercooler spray and i think firmer suspension as well. Personally, I would have probably bought an STI originally, but needed the space so I got a WRX wagon. Honestly, I'm happy with the wagon now and think it was a good choice for me - it highlighted some of the differences between the WRX and STI, and I found the WRX is actually the better of the two for me, as its slightly more comfortable I think. They are both tuneable, but the STI is the stronger of the two engine-wise if you're thinking about big power increases later on. Body-wise, there are some Bug-eye STI wagons around but the majority of STI cars are saloons. Some are Spec-D (Discreet) and have the smaller low level rear spoiler. Also check if the car is UK or imported from Japan; the Jap imports tend to be higher spec, some are twin scroll (no scooby burble due to different exhaust configuration) and most of the Jpa cars are slightly higher spec than the UK cars - they also might cost more to insure than their UK equivalents.

Also if insurance is an issue, consider how much a standard STI would be to insure against a modified WRX; if you are considering tuning either then you might want to take that into account. For example, if you drove the WRX and thought, yeah, this is nice but it could do with a bit more power (having just driven the STI) then consider if you would be happy to wait until your insurance drops before modifying it - if not then you may be better off with the STI and keeping that standard for longer.

Things to consider - service history (cam belt replacement will cost around £250 iirc), mileage, general condition, modifications, e.g. if its got a de-cat exhaust, it won't pass an MOT unless you can find a friendly tester

If a higher than standard power output is claimed, make sure the seller can back it up with dyno printouts etc. Receipts for engine work, modifications etc are also good if they are present.

Plenty of advice on here tho, feel free to ask opinions on any you're considering.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Pete

PS nice Clio, very clean

Last edited by scooby546; 21 August 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: double check...
Old 21 August 2012, 08:35 PM
CJGREEN
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Pete.

Good job the Clio looks clean as i run my own detailing at weekends haha.

The insurance is about 400 difference. Obviously 1200 for WRX, 1600 for STI.

My mate had a Prodrive blob eye(55 plate?) and i loved that. Even more so when it was on coilovers.

MOT isnt a problem for me as a few mates own garages

Ive seen a fair few sharkeye Spec D's about. Any reason?

Whats the likely hood of this 2.5 engine problems too?
Old 21 August 2012, 09:13 PM
scooby546
Scooby Regular

There's a few threads on here about the 2.5... as far as I understand it (guys please correct me if I'm wrong here), there are a couple of issues. One I think was ringland failure, which I'm not to sure about but apparently has nasty results, and the other was the head gaskets. Or more accurately, the head bolts I think. Basically under high boost conditions (generally higher than standard) the standard head bolts can actually stretch a bit causing the symptoms of head gasket failure, e.g. overheating, etc. but the symptoms tend to go away if left to cool back down again. The cure for this is to replace the head bolts with stronger ones (obviously replacing the gaskets at the same time, again with better spec ones (you might as well while the heads are off the car anyway).

The WRX and STI engines also have different pistons - STI ones are forged so are stronger, so the WRX pistons tend to be a power limiting factor at anything over STI power levels (300+) I think. overall i think the 2.5 makes for a great road car with loads of torque - but i would say that

The prodrive blobeye is a nice car; basically a WRX with different exhaust, Prodrive remap and filter (inlet hose as well?), giving power levels around the 270bhp mark which is i think getting on for blobeye STI figures. More torque than standard as well, makes for a very good road car, especially with some suspension mods...

The Spec D's are really nice, understated but still STI fast - i guess they are becoming more popular these days as they become more affordable. I think the Jap imported Spec D's are 2 litre, with a nitrided crank, very strong engines (strongest of the scooby engines?) and if you're considering serious power levels this would be a very good starting point I reckon

a mate with a garage is handy reckon i'll have to find something similar if i change the exhaust on mine unless i stick with a sports cat...

Basically I would say take your time, be fussy - there are great cars available so hold on to your cash until you're sure you've found a really good example. Check the for sale section in here as well, member's cars sometimes come up for sale, and checking previous posts can reveal loads of history about the car and how well it was cared for etc. so you can be more confident about what you're going to see. Have a good search about on here too, there's loads of info including tuning guides etc. to get you on the right track
Old 21 August 2012, 09:33 PM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi mate and make shore you get the best one for you mate
Old 21 August 2012, 11:12 PM
CJGREEN
Scooby Newbie

Thanks again mate.

And cheers.

I think it'd be looking for a hawkeye STI as i've loved them the best since they came out. But that is top end of budget. If not i'd be going for blobeye STI.

I did consider WRX for the slight saving on insurance but then i'd end up modding it so would cost more so made the decision to go straight for STI.

I love driving, and absolutely love thrashing my clio so the higher of the specs available would be a good place to start i think.

I would also prefer buying one off a forum so I know its been looked after properly and not killed. Not properly warmed up/down too.

Where do people usually go for modifications online too, havent managed to find much other than on eBay!

Last edited by CJGREEN; 21 August 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Getting my 'eyes' mixed up!!
Old 22 August 2012, 02:40 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey, welcome aboard James. Enjoy, whatever you go for. Looking to get back into the scene next year myself as I've had to be sensible for the last few years.

All the best,

Tom
Old 24 August 2012, 08:49 PM
CJGREEN
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Tom.

Think ive decided. Ive spoken to a good friend who owned a blobeye prodrive. Loved it.

Im looking to spend about 6k at the most so I can afford a few mods too.
Old 25 August 2012, 12:45 AM
scoobyken
Scooby Regular

Hello n welcome to scoobynet.. Check out a few cars on for sale section, there's quite a few nice looked after examples in there!
Old 26 August 2012, 07:44 PM
CJGREEN
Scooby Newbie

Not managed to find much that i've been after. Found an 05 blobeye on pistonheads for about £5800 which would be perfect as long as the service is up to date.