Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Evo 8 or STI MY03? (links provided)

Search this Thread

Old 22 August 2012, 02:59 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evo 8 or STI MY03? (links provided)

Hi all,

I live in NZ and I was looking to buy a MY03 STI for about 17kNZD and then I came across an EVO 8 owner whos willing to get rid of the beast for around 19k.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to EVO, which one would be the best buy for money???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-490247472.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=494932329
Old 22 August 2012, 05:35 PM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

Depends what you are looking for really, if you are looking for a road going track car then the evo will probably be a small amount shaper at the track, however the STI is a much nicer daily drive with a much better interior.

Also if I was pushed to say so I would argue that the sti would be more reliable too in the long run. But at the end of the day they are very similar, take them both for a drive and see what you think .For me I would sacrifice 1 or 2% of track performance for a much nicer daily driver so it would be the sti for me (this is an STI forum though so you might get a different story in an evo forum).

Last edited by Dnalunchie; 22 August 2012 at 05:36 PM. Reason: spelling check
Old 22 August 2012, 05:39 PM
Dnalunchie
Scooby Regular

Also have you seen this sti? same as the one you linked but cheaper

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-481403049.htm
Old 22 August 2012, 05:44 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dnalunchie
Depends what you are looking for really, if you are looking for a road going track car then the evo will probably be a small amount shaper at the track, however the STI is a much nicer daily drive with a much better interior.

Also if I was pushed to say so I would argue that the sti would be more reliable too in the long run. But at the end of the day they are very similar, take them both for a drive and see what you think .For me I would sacrifice 1 or 2% of track performance for a much nicer daily driver so it would be the sti for me (this is an STI forum though so you might get a different story in an evo forum).
Yeap I like the STI better tbh and it is going to be my daily drive. Considering the price is not bad too (I can bring it down i am sure)
Hahaha yeah would def be a different story if I asked this in an Evo forum.

Originally Posted by Dnalunchie
Also have you seen this sti? same as the one you linked but cheaper

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-481403049.htm
Yeah I did but that has been on for months and in the description they say they are trying to move overseas so they are selling things but apart from the car they havent listed anything in the last few months. Something really dodgy about that one.
Old 22 August 2012, 07:28 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Evo 8 Gets my vote
Easier to tune and get more power
More reliable
Handle just as good
Old 22 August 2012, 08:12 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bawse.c
Hi all,

I live in NZ and I was looking to buy a MY03 STI for about 17kNZD and then I came across an EVO 8 owner whos willing to get rid of the beast for around 19k.

I am a complete newbie when it comes to EVO, which one would be the best buy for money???

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used...-490247472.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=494932329
The Subaru wins it hands down, this lot compare a UK car to the evolution and said sti is a jdm import, better than the evo, more suited to the sort of roads you have and very tunable.
Gets my vote

Tony
Old 23 August 2012, 11:08 AM
pokerpro
Scooby Regular

I considered a evo when I bought my impreza a few years ago. Nothing in performance from what I read (sti ppp v fq 320). Only ever come up against one once and I out accelerated it. Looks wise its personal preference. But below is why I went for impreza and never regretted it.

Impreza advantages:

Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to insure
Cheaper on fuel
Cheaper parts
Cheaper to service
More reliable
Nicer ride

Evo advantges:

?
Old 23 August 2012, 11:11 AM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pokerpro
I considered a evo when I bought my impreza a few years ago. Nothing in performance from what I read (sti ppp v fq 320). Only ever come up against one once and I out accelerated it. Looks wise its personal preference. But below is why I went for impreza and never regretted it.

Impreza advantages:

Cheaper to buy
Cheaper to insure
Cheaper on fuel
Cheaper parts
Cheaper to service
More reliable
Nicer ride

Evo advantges:

?
Insurance wise they about the same in NZ.

They are def cheaper to buy and all that.
I prefer the look of the blob than the Evo 8
Old 23 August 2012, 11:15 AM
Blue by You
Scooby Regular

Everone you ask will have their own preferences and reasons for having them, although some are perhaps more insightful than others.

Just out of interest have you posted the same question on any Evo forums? If so what answers do you get, and if not it might be worth a try.
Old 23 August 2012, 03:39 PM
Snilsson
Scooby Regular

I'm almost in the same position as you, and my choice is STI even though I haven't bought anyone yet but I'm currently looking for one!

But the more I read about the cars the more convinced I am that the Subaru is a better over-all car. Mitsubishi have a lot of issues with the AYC pump and seriously, do anyone prefer the inline 4 sound over the boxer engine?
Old 23 August 2012, 06:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Snilsson
I'm almost in the same position as you, and my choice is STI even though I haven't bought anyone yet but I'm currently looking for one!

But the more I read about the cars the more convinced I am that the Subaru is a better over-all car. Mitsubishi have a lot of issues with the AYC pump and seriously, do anyone prefer the inline 4 sound over the boxer engine?
The above STI is a jdm twin scroll car, it's totally different to the UK versions and sounds different so you cannot compare them, but it is a better car than the evo, definitely a better all rounder

Tony
Old 23 August 2012, 11:59 PM
bawse.c
Scooby Regular

JDM sounds nice, never heard a UK one before coz we barely have those here. Man just waiting on selling my current ride and then getting that