Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Had an STI...considering a DC5...any thoughts??

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2012, 01:03 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Had an STI...considering a DC5...any thoughts??

Hey so i cashed in and sold my sti a while back..now i am in the market again with approx £6000 to spend

So iv been considering buying a blob eye sti type uk but the mileage for this money is quite high 75k+ and im not sure about the longevity of these engines..most mechanics i spoke to say there fit for 70k then your on a downhill spiral.

I have always loved the look of DC5 integras and their racing pedigree and i am considering one about 02 75k miles or so. Longevity shouldnt be a problem with these cars as we all know, but i am afraid the thing will feel slow as a wet week compared to my sti. Im guessing mpg realworld figures are going to be very similar due to zero torque in the dc5.

I suppose i am asking with this money what would be the more sensible buy with regard to longevity and engine life due to the highish miles?? I loved my subaru but i had a WRX and it **** itself at 73k miles although my STI had 98k and was like brand new. I have mates with type r engines pushing 130k miles still sharp as ever..
Old 11 September 2012, 01:30 PM
chief-long-shin
Scooby Regular

If you are looking for a wrx I have one ive just put for sale in used section with 55k. Regards.
Old 11 September 2012, 02:01 PM
TheKeano
Scooby Regular

There are scoobies still on their 1st engines at 120K and more which run perfectly fine so dont rule them out cos of the milage
Old 11 September 2012, 02:34 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheKeano
There are scoobies still on their 1st engines at 120K and more which run perfectly fine so dont rule them out cos of the milage
Couldn't agree more look after it and it will keep going. My JDM Blob STi is on 94k and no problems at all.
Old 11 September 2012, 02:45 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gettintherequick
Hey so i cashed in and sold my sti a while back..now i am in the market again with approx £6000 to spend

So iv been considering buying a blob eye sti type uk but the mileage for this money is quite high 75k+ and im not sure about the longevity of these engines..most mechanics i spoke to say there fit for 70k then your on a downhill spiral.

I have always loved the look of DC5 integras and their racing pedigree and i am considering one about 02 75k miles or so. Longevity shouldnt be a problem with these cars as we all know, but i am afraid the thing will feel slow as a wet week compared to my sti. Im guessing mpg realworld figures are going to be very similar due to zero torque in the dc5.

I suppose i am asking with this money what would be the more sensible buy with regard to longevity and engine life due to the highish miles?? I loved my subaru but i had a WRX and it **** itself at 73k miles although my STI had 98k and was like brand new. I have mates with type r engines pushing 130k miles still sharp as ever..

Hi mate I drive a ep3 civic type R which is the same engine that is in the DC5 " K20 "
mate honestly type R engines are nuts and one of the most reliable engines you can get.
130k that is nothing for this type of engine I was talking to a guy with 210k on his vtec type R and it was still going strong with no issues.
provided the car is serviced regular the engine just keeps on going

go for it I bet you will be very happy with the DC5 if you get one
and it is very quick and trouble free motoring.

I am onto my second type R and they are amazing
Old 11 September 2012, 02:58 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

my scooby done 130k ish and i ain,t had any problems with it ,

and its mapped to 320bhp as well

my mates type r just **** its self ,£1200 to get it back on road ,

and he serviced it every 6 mths too.

problem with second hand cars, buddy you either get a good one or a sh**ter

all you can do when you get either is look after it like you do and keep your fingers crossed,

i had my mates type r for a week as he was on holiday ,i thought it was just a thirsty as my scooby and i had better power

but each to there own
Old 11 September 2012, 03:00 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Good link here

Trending Topics

Old 11 September 2012, 03:10 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

Now you can appreciate my dilema..lol head wrecker
Old 11 September 2012, 03:55 PM
Scoobilee
Scooby Newbie

I used to have an S2000, and as much as i loved it once you have had that turbo rush, well thats it! unless i was kicking its face in felt like a fiesta 1.1 lol, i do love the DC5 but would be awsome turbo'ed!
Old 11 September 2012, 04:02 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobilee
I used to have an S2000, and as much as i loved it once you have had that turbo rush, well thats it! unless i was kicking its face in felt like a fiesta 1.1 lol, i do love the DC5 but would be awsome turbo'ed!
Well thats the problem u av remapped cupra r's all over the show sittin at 260bhp that are gonna blow any type r away on the straights..

Also alot of modern diesels are churning out 200bhp standard which leaves 200bhp petrol owners completely underwhelmed..but i just love the vtec

Pros type r: reliability longevity handling exclusivity
Cons type r: not overly fast. thirsty and annoyin to drive normally. No turbo lol

Pros sti: Fast! Stature and presence. Torque.
Cons sti: debatable engine reliability an longevity. Thirsty. Lots of them about. Lots of stuff to go wrong. Insurance.

Hmmmmmmm.....
Old 11 September 2012, 04:15 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Had both, dc5 will be slower but better looking car imho, much rarer too, vtec zone sounds great as well! Ours was white and created a lot of attention wherever it went.

TX.
Old 11 September 2012, 04:19 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Had both, dc5 will be slower but better looking car imho, much rarer too, vtec zone sounds great as well! Ours was white and created a lot of attention wherever it went.

TX.
Im straying towards the vtec tbh..had a wrx fail on me at 72k miles before and since then iv had an sti an was jus scared to put the boot down incase it **** itself aswel do not want this feeling anymore..this is a hard choice!
Old 11 September 2012, 06:38 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

people who say a type R uses as much fuel as a impreza should leave the comedian business alone

I had a 280 bhp impreza sti and I was around £55-60 a week in fuel
doing the same mileage in my type R and I am around £25-30 a week in fuel

so no the type r is not nearly as thirsty as a impreza and I had both cars

before I write the next part I want to say I am a big fan of both cars

reliability - yes I agree there are some impreza's that have high miles on
their engine and still going strong but for every one impreza like that there is like 20 impreza's that have had the bottom end go or the head gasket pop or one of several other problems.

for instance I typed overheating which is a sign of a blown headgasket "not always but high probability "into scoobynets search box with search thread titles only and it came up with 200 threads on the problem.

https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php?searchid=6542287

even my own impreza sti which had 60k on it with full service history and had been taken care of went and blew the head gasket.

I done the same search on the type r forum
and there is a total of 18 threads

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/s...&submit=Search

so as much as I like subaru's they are nowhere near as reliable as type R's.

as for performance the type R is a fair bit slower than a impreza
but you get turbo kits and rotrex and jackson racing do superchargers for the type R which gives the little type R minimal 330 bhp straight out of the box which makes the type r a absolute pocket rocket as the power to weight ratio makes the car go like lightning.

and just being honest here type r's have better build quality
they dont really rust much and the interiors in my opinion look alot nicer too

Last edited by nizmo80; 11 September 2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11 September 2012, 06:56 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nizmo80
people who say a type R uses as much fuel as a impreza should leave the comedian business alone

I had a 280 bhp impreza sti and I was around £55-60 a week in fuel
doing the same mileage in my type R and I am around £25-30 a week in fuel

so no the type r is not nearly as thirsty as a impreza and I had both cars

before I write the next part I want to say I am a big fan of both cars

reliability - yes I agree there are some impreza's that have high miles on
their engine and still going strong but for every one impreza like that there is like 20 impreza's that have had the bottom end go or the head gasket pop or one of several other problems.

for instance I typed overheating which is a sign of a blown headgasket "not always but high probability "into scoobynets search box with search thread titles only and it came up with 200 threads on the problem.

https://www.scoobynet.com/search.php?searchid=6542287

even my own impreza sti which had 60k on it with full service history and had been taken care of went and blew the head gasket.

I done the same search on the type r forum
and there is a total of 18 threads

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/s...&submit=Search

so as much as I like subaru's they are nowhere near as reliable as type R's.

as for performance the type R is a fair bit slower than a impreza
but you get turbo kits and rotrex and jackson racing do superchargers for the type R which gives the little type R minimal 330 bhp straight out of the box which makes the type r a absolute pocket rocket as the power to weight ratio makes the car go like lightning.

Mate, I'm with you on this one. I love the Honda Type R range. I've swapped my Accord Type R for a 2002 WRX.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WRX, it's my second one. It's standard'ish at the mo. An my ATR would of wipe the floor with it!!!!

The Accord was a blast, and an absolute GEM for an engine!! Loved it to bits. I drove my mates EP3. An very very nearly bought it, I even put an offer for it. But still glad igot the scoob.

I'd have the FD2 jdm type r any day. As for the DC5. Very good looking car. Quite quick, great potential. Fantastic engine.

I'd say go for it mate.
Old 11 September 2012, 07:04 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Ours when it landed

TX.
Old 11 September 2012, 07:10 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

I looked at an ep3 which was similar price/age/miles/condition/history to the bugeye wagon I brought, nice cars and feel quite modern.

But and a BIG but, they are great cars but WWD (WRONG Wheel Drive).
Old 11 September 2012, 07:36 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scoobaru mad
Mate, I'm with you on this one. I love the Honda Type R range. I've swapped my Accord Type R for a 2002 WRX.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WRX, it's my second one. It's standard'ish at the mo. An my ATR would of wipe the floor with it!!!!

The Accord was a blast, and an absolute GEM for an engine!! Loved it to bits. I drove my mates EP3. An very very nearly bought it, I even put an offer for it. But still glad igot the scoob.

I'd have the FD2 jdm type r any day. As for the DC5. Very good looking car. Quite quick, great potential. Fantastic engine.

I'd say go for it mate.
accord type R's look ace its one of the type r's that I like alot

Originally Posted by Terminator X
Ours when it landed

TX.
very nice TX DC5 look nicest in white IMHO

Originally Posted by bigballs
I looked at an ep3 which was similar price/age/miles/condition/history to the bugeye wagon I brought, nice cars and feel quite modern.

But and a BIG but, they are great cars but WWD (WRONG Wheel Drive).

Its a ep3 that I own and they are great little cars
even with the fwd " I know 4wd is always going to be best "

here is my type R

to the op go for the DC5 mate I bet you will love it
and the vtec sound are amazing on these engines

Last edited by nizmo80; 11 September 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old 11 September 2012, 07:59 PM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

My mate has a dc5 type r there not as quick as you think too heavy nice car but very dissapointment IMHO

As above that mileage thing is bullsh1t there's a guy from a local site who's engine was on nearly 160,000 miles and on standard original gaskets lol

It depends how you look after them a good services and maintained on will last the distance
Old 11 September 2012, 08:11 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

accord type R's look ace its one of the type r's that I like alot

very nice TX DC5 look nicest in white IMHO

Its a ep3 that I own and they are great little cars
even with the fwd " I know 4wd is always going to be best "

here is my type R

to the op go for the DC5 mate I bet you will love it
and the vtec sound are amazing on these engines
That is a lovely ep3..i was considering one myself with a dc5 lsd gearbox swap. One thing that bothers me is having to run the dc5 on bt ultimate over here it costs like 1.55/L or something. I had my STI mapped to run 95-97 ron made such a difference in fuel costs. Can the dc5 be mapped like this??
Old 11 September 2012, 08:23 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

That is a lovely ep3..i was considering one myself with a dc5 lsd gearbox swap. One thing that bothers me is having to run the dc5 on bt ultimate over here it costs like 1.55/L or something. I had my STI mapped to run 95-97 ron made such a difference in fuel costs. Can the dc5 be mapped like this??

you get a ecu called a k-pro from hondata from companys like TDI north and cpl racing
and once installed you get more power like any other remap but I am sure they could remap it to what you wanted , also you can get launch control with it also

thats one thing I am glad about my ep3 I can run it on normal fuel
Old 11 September 2012, 08:26 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

you get a ecu called a k-pro from hondata from companys like TDI north and cpl racing
and once installed you get more power like any other remap but I am sure they could remap it to what you wanted , also you can get launch control with it also

thats one thing I am glad about my ep3 I can run it on normal fuel
So your talkin 600-700 for ecu im guessing and another 300 to map lol..grim.
Old 11 September 2012, 08:38 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

So your talkin 600-700 for ecu im guessing and another 300 to map lol..grim.
LOL yea I know its a bit steep but I think its the same sort of price to do it to a impreza with the simtec ecu.

you can also get a reflash on your existing ecu but I am not sure about if you can change what petrol the car uses with this option which costs around £400.

my type r is reflashed and the vtec kicks in at 5200 rpm now and it goes all the way upto 8800 rpm but when I am thrashing it the needle bounces off 9000 rpm its really fun

have you ever thought about going for a ep3 as for the money you have you could get a nice facelift premier edition and it would run on normal fuel without having to get it remapped.
and they are so much fun they have really good handling and the cornering is done in a flash this comes in handy when weaving in and out of traffic as my old scoob would never be able to whip in and out of traffic as fast as my type r

also here is a video of ep3 type R's the first civic has k-pro and is using launch control

Last edited by nizmo80; 11 September 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11 September 2012, 08:39 PM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

There's a guy from xo performance not sure if there still going had a civic type r turbo running in excess of 700bhp!!!!!! I got took out in it all I can say it foooiking hell defnitly summit to think about Vtec and turbo WOW noise was awesome and power was immense hondata is the way forward 4 branch and skunk cams they add good bhp
Old 11 September 2012, 08:47 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My mate had 2 ctr , dc2 and dc5 . Dc5 def the fastest one he's had and most fun loved a bit of lift off over steer
Old 11 September 2012, 08:59 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

here is a ep3 doing the quarter mile in 9.93 secs
its from one of the best known honda tuners in the uk CPL racing

and it says from cpl racing in the comments

Thanks for the comments, just checked the datalogs and found that 0-60mph was 2.6 secs!
Old 11 September 2012, 09:01 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

I have a soft spot for ep3 type r but they have become sooo common now i wudnt look twice at one if ot drove by me..that and my 330d leaves them in the black mist lol i am drawn to the reliability of honda and the vtec is super fun! I woupdnt spend as much on an ep3 though very tidy ones for under 4 grand in my area
Old 11 September 2012, 09:14 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCGk...eature=related

Thanks for the comments, just checked the datalogs and found that 0-60mph was 2.6 secs!
That is crazy fast!!!
Old 11 September 2012, 09:15 PM
nizmo80
Scooby Regular

I have a soft spot for ep3 type r but they have become sooo common now i wudnt look twice at one if ot drove by me..that and my 330d leaves them in the black mist lol i am drawn to the reliability of honda and the vtec is super fun! I woupdnt spend as much on an ep3 though very tidy ones for under 4 grand in my area

Yea I picked mine up for 4k which was a good price considering it was minted and had a cpl stage one tune full ice install fsh full leather interior.
but I also spent more getting wheels and other bits LOL also 60k which was excellent

I dont mean to say otherwise but the take off on a 330d is between 7.6 - 7.9 for a se model and 7.0 for a sport on a 2003 and above model .

and a type R is 6.4 so defo would not leave a type r behind

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...c/type-r-2001/

not that I am being funny lol according to parkers.co.uk
Old 11 September 2012, 09:19 PM
gettintherequick
Scooby Regular

Yea I picked mine up for 4k which was a good price considering it was minted and had a cpl stage one tune full ice install fsh full leather interior.
but I also spent more getting wheels and other bits LOL also 60k which was excellent

I dont mean to say otherwise but the take off on a 330d is between 7.6 - 7.9 for a se model and 7.0 for a sport on a 2003 and above model .

and a type R is 6.4 so defo would not leave a type r behind

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...c/type-r-2001/

not that I am being funny lol according to parkers.co.uk
Lol i hear ya she has a full remap decat 240+ soon as i hit 2nd gear its bye bye lolz dont get me wrong its not half as fun as an ep3 gettin ther
Old 11 September 2012, 09:25 PM
banzai2009
Scooby Regular

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHCGk...eature=related

Don't get me wrong that is ridiculously fast and awesome but to me doesn't sound like a type r anymore and takes the point away from a type r they wet known and still are for there handling and instant power that's just a straight line car but not nocking it great car and vid mate
M
But for me 350- under is more than enough for a front wheel drive if you get 250-270 from a type r with the Vtec that's more than enough and would sound ridiculous

Last edited by banzai2009; 11 September 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Had an STI...considering a DC5...any thoughts??