ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scooby wagon, family, bike, weekends + newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2012, 08:46 AM
LardFather
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scooby wagon, family, bike, weekends + newbie

I have had a search on the forums and can't find what I'm looking for . . .

I'm after some opinions and advice on the practicality of impreza wagons when it comes to the impending family, bike transport and weekends away. I had an sti4 a few years ago for a few months while a friend was ill and I loved it but I was never able to fold the seats down (could have been my ineptitude) which kind of put my off. I currently drive an mr2 turbo (weekend car and modded) and a clio as my run around but intend to but a third car for weekends and transporting my bike (road/race) bike to and from races, in addition to this I'm expecting my first child in December and was wondering;

- if its possible to fold the seats down in an impreza wagon?
- how practical they are as family cars?
- would they mind being sat for days on end on my drive?
- running costs?

I prefer the old 'pin you in your seat' early cars so i'd be looking for one those, an sti4 estate would be perfect with lower milage, standard and service history.

I appreciate its a long post but I'd really value your opinions guys.
Old 12 September 2012, 09:25 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

- if its possible to fold the seats down in an impreza wagon? Yes

- how practical they are as family cars? I have 2 small children 7Year old and a 2 Year old. Also Have a road bike and a bike carrier for the rear. The do have roof rails though which can get bars fitted and a bike carrier.

- would they mind being sat for days on end on my drive?
Would be fine

- running costs?
Your looking between 20-30mpg on fuel. If you service the car yourself then it can work out a lot cheaper to maintain
Old 12 September 2012, 09:26 AM
6VOLT
Scooby Regular

I don't have s classic shape wagon but ido have a bug eye model. I have had washing machines, double beds, my own mountain bike and more junk than you can shake a stick at for tip runs, it does it all in it's stride whilst still being fun. I have had groups of friends in the car and they have never complained so I guess a sprog will be no issue. I recently did a 540 mile round trip (mostly motorway) and spend just over £ 100 so not all that bad on the juice if you are sensible. Mine is also modded so when it's just you in the car you can still have a good scream around in it

Dan
Old 12 September 2012, 09:39 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Impreza estates are good for size inside, but not great! I race downhill mountain bikes and it would be a squeeze to get two bikes and two fellas plus kit in one.... it fits, but its a struggle!

Legacys are ALOT bigger inside, and if you look for the right ones are pretty much as quick!

my £0.02 anyway.

But saying that, an imp estate, if you dont need the extra space, would be a good way to go.
Old 12 September 2012, 09:51 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had classic impreza wagons and I have also had newage wagons, the only real difference between a saloon and a wagon is the apperture at the rear, same chassis etc. yes you will get a bike in the back, but why not get a roof bike rack? seats do fold down and it gives you a good amount of space. we have a huge rottweiller and two kids and it provided plenty of space.

James
Old 12 September 2012, 10:17 AM
kev72
Scooby Newbie

Ive had my bugeye wrx wagon for 2 years now and its done me proud,i have 3 children 2 teenagers and a younger one who needs a car seat and have had no complaints from them about space,we've been on camping holidays with tents and my wife's luggage and recently been down to the south of france towing a caravan which was great fun,sadly i have put mine on ebay as we are emigrating i will miss it as it is a great all round car.
Old 12 September 2012, 10:30 AM
LardFather
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the great replies guys and please keep em coming.

I've had a though, at what age do isofix fittings become standard in the back of imprezas?
Old 12 September 2012, 10:33 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

I know Bugeye def has them
Old 12 September 2012, 12:24 PM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

I carry all kinds of stuff including bikes, kids, dogs, detritus, etc in mine as well as tracking it, commuting, taking the dogs for walks down muddy tracks and doing the school run in it... as an all-round package, it's pretty hard to beat.

However, from what you've said you want it for, it's worth considering a Forester too... my old XT had a bit more space and off-road practicality whilst being nearly as quick and good to drive.
Old 12 September 2012, 02:32 PM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

Or a legacy GTB
Old 12 September 2012, 03:34 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by d4vidh
Or a legacy GTB
If you want isofix points you'll probably have to look at the later spec-b rather than the gtb!

And gigsy's right, a forester is a very capable car! taller load space, but not as long as a legacy's! Loads more than an imp though!
Old 13 September 2012, 08:51 AM
LardFather
Scooby Newbie

So between us we've narrowed down one car to possibly three

They (imp, legacy, forester) all look good but the price of the imprezas and the availability of parts seems better, also I like the look of imprezas more but I suppose the best way to resolve this is to have a look at all three cars and see which one I 'get a feel for'.

Does anyone know about fuel consumption between the three?
Old 13 September 2012, 09:03 AM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Fuel consumptions pretty much the same. Proportionally to how much power it has and how heavy your feet are!

The forester would return slightly better on a long run though as its 6 speed has really tall ratios.
Old 13 September 2012, 09:10 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Agreed, they're more or less the same. My Impreza is a bit better than the Forester was (28 vs 26)