ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

keyfob not working and no keypad code

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2012, 06:02 PM
dyfiboy
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default keyfob not working and no keypad code

guys just had subaru wolverhampton on the phone saying they cant code in the new fob key or thenew key pad they installed there saying it could be the arial,or something to that afect has anyone els had this problem..i gorra feeling they havent got a clue what there doing..there saying they have to link it up to subaru in west brom..and they cant do it till monday now as you can imagine in well peed off...
Old 05 October 2012, 11:52 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Load of bull I sence. You cant link a car up to subaru in that way. Sigma is a seperate unit. probably not using the correct sequence in time
Old 06 October 2012, 08:21 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Hi there,

sounds like similar bull@#$ to what I got from my local subaru who wanted to charge me a load of doe to reprogram everything....

I posted on here and was emailed some info and instructions on how to do it myself....

thing is...you need one working fob....?

Have you got nothing working?

Im trying to find the info that I have...I will pm it you if i still have it.....i hope I still have it!
Old 06 October 2012, 08:44 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Changing your PIN:
- Arm and then Disarm the system using a working Radio Key.
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)
- Arm the system with the Radio Key
- You should now be able to disarm the system using the new PIN code

This works....and it, literally, takes less than a minute to do!

I did mine....and once you have a working code...then you can reprogram the fobs all in one go yourself....easily and.........FREE! LOL!

I'll find the link to the other instructions for the rest of it!
Old 06 October 2012, 08:45 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Mine is a Bugeye WRX with the Sigma drop down code on the right of the steering wheel....I hope that you have the same...?
Old 06 October 2012, 08:49 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Although posted before, it's probably worth posting again for anyone new to the forum and for the benefit of anyone else who may suffer from this.....

Radio Lock Out:
- All alarm systems manufactured for use in the UK in ’99 were required to operate on the frequency of 433MHz. Subsequently, in late 2000, the government allowed the introduction of the “Tetra” radio network for telecommunications companies, the military, police, fire and ambulance services etc, which was allocated the 420-430MHz bandwidths.

Although not exactly the same frequency, these “Tetra” transmitters are licensed and so are allowed to operate at around 20,000 watts, compared with the alarm systems 0.5 watt radio key (necessary so that your radio keys remain exempt from annual licensing fees!)

As a result, when you are near a transmitting “Tetra” mast you can get a degree of “bleed over” as their signal is so much stronger and this can swamp the transmission from the radio key.

This problem is not exclusive to this system and can occur on any number of manufacturers systems produced prior to 2001.

The receiver boards were redesigned to focus more accurately on the 433.92HHz frequency as soon as this problem became evident, however, systems manufactured before 2001, with the older receiver boards that may have experienced this problem, are not faulty and were not considered eligible for warranty.
However, as a goodwill measure, customers who suffered from “exceptional” radio lock-out (ie lived or worked below a mast) were offered an upgraded receiver board whilst the vehicle was still within the warranty period.

This goodwill period was extended for a further 12 months after the 3 year warranty period expired, but ended in December 2004.
The later ECUs are available from Subaru, but these are now chargeable (part number SACC 3465 and will be IRO £70). If the problem only occurs occasionally then getting to grips with the PIN overide is your most cost effective option, but if it is a regular occurance then the the convenience may be worth the £70.

Avoidance:
There are a few points that should be remembered:

- All vehicles that passed through the import centre from January 2001 are equipped with the latest receiver boards that are "Tetra Resistant" and so should not experience this problem.

- A keypad is fitted to ALL models with the UK standard fit alarm system (from 99 MY) as an emergency override, in the event of loss, damage, flat radio key battery etc. (The keypad also allows the driver to access a number of features and is a complete programming tool for the dealers) and so pushing/recovery of vehicle’s should not be necessary provided you know your override PIN and ow to operate the keypad.

- The keypad can NOT be affected by "Radio Lock-Out", as it is hard wired into the system and does not rely on a radio transmission.

Keypad Use:
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a secuity feature to prevent random attempts at steeling the vehicle, however, it is also an inconvenience if you are suffering "Radio Lock Out" and enter your PIN incorrectly.

- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.

If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be aborted and started again after 30 seconds.

Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.

Summary:
My advice is to read the alarm system's instruction manual and practice entering the PIN before you need it. If you do not know your PIN, or bought the car second hand (in which case the PIN may have been changed by the previous owner) you can change the PIN to one of your own choosing, using the keypad, provided that you have a working Radio Key.

Changing your PIN:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad: *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)

Ensure your keypad is operational before you need it on a dark night!
If this is an intermitent problem, use of the keypad should overcome the problem. However, if the problem is more frequent it may be worth considering a new control unit - An SACC 3465 should cost in the region of £70 from a Subaru dealer and your existing keys can still be used.
Although installation may take around 30 minutes, do not pay over the odds for programming the system, as this can be done in 5 minutes using the keypad.

Sorry that this is such a long-winded post, but I hope that it answers the questions raised and will keep everyone mobile.
SS
Old 06 October 2012, 08:51 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

By the way, for those of you that do not have a copy of the Operating Instructions these can be found at
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2476
SS

Trending Topics

Old 06 October 2012, 08:56 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Those were all posted by a guy called SigmaSam....a while back....

I know it might sound patronising but, have you tried brand new batteries?

I was using the pin code for a few day cos I thought my fob was kaput but, I got new batteries and its fine now...?
Old 06 October 2012, 08:59 PM
SmileyScooby
Scooby Regular

Heres some more from him...............enjoy.....

If you do not have the current PIN, then option A is your best solution. However if you do not have a working Radio Key, then you will have to use option B and obtain the systems PIN code from Subaru (UK). Your dealer can obtain this for you if you can provide proof of ownership and the alarm systems 16-digit serial number.

A. Using a working Radio Key:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*91*n# (where n is the total number of keys required to work the system)
- Press each Radio Key briefly in turn (the dash board LED will flash and the siren beep each time)
- Once the nth Radio Key has been programmed, you should be able to arm/disarm the system using any of the Radio Keys programmed.

It is essential that all Radio Keys required to operate the system are programmed together. Any keys not present during the programming sequence above will no longer operate the system.

B. Using the current PIN Code (if a working Radio Key is not available):
- Arm and then Disarm the system using the current PIN
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- **abcd*91*n# (where abcd is the system’s PIN code and n is the total number of keys required to work the system)
- Press each Radio Key briefly in turn (the dash board LED will flash and the siren beep each time)
- Once the nth Radio Key has been programmed, you should be able to arm/disarm the system using any of the Radio Keys programmed.

It is essential that all Radio Keys required to operate the system are programmed together. Any keys not present during the programming sequence above will no longer operate the system.

Instructions on doing this can also be found in the security systems Operating Instructions. If you do not have these, a link to a copy can be found in the post at::
http://www.subaru-impreza.org/subaru...pic.php?t=2476

A. Using a working Radio Key:
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- *17856*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where wxyz is your new PIN code)

B. Using the current PIN Code (if a working Radio Key is not available):
- Arm and then Disarm the system using the current PIN
- Within 30 seconds of disarming, type into the keypad- **abcd*92*wxyz*wxyz# (where abcd is your current PIN code and wxyz your new PIN code)
- You should now be able to arm and disarm the system using the new PIN code

When using the keypad always observe the following points:
- The PIN number should not be entered too quickly or too slowly - when a digit has been pressed the small LED built into the keypad will illuminate briefly as confirmation and only then should the next digit be entered.
- If an incorrect digit is pressed or the delay between entering digits exceeds10 seconds, then the LED above the keypad will flash rapidly and the PIN attempt should be abborted and started again after 30 seconds.
- Due to the small size of the keypad some users may find a rubber tipped pencil easier to use. DO NOT use the sharp tip of a ball point pen etc, or press excessively hard on the keypad as this will only damage the membrane and cause a digit to remain pressed, causing a continual incorrect PIN.
- The keypad allows only THREE PIN attempts and then will "Lock Up" if an incorrect number is entered a third time. This is a security feature to prevent random PIN attempts disarming the system.

Last edited by SmileyScooby; 06 October 2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06 October 2012, 09:21 PM
LouisB
Scooby Regular

Does anyone know where you can get new keypads. Some of the numbers have stopped working on mine
Old 08 October 2012, 07:01 AM
dyfiboy
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by SmileyScooby
Hi there,

sounds like similar bull@#$ to what I got from my local subaru who wanted to charge me a load of doe to reprogram everything....

I posted on here and was emailed some info and instructions on how to do it myself....

thing is...you need one working fob....?

Have you got nothing working?

Im trying to find the info that I have...I will pm it you if i still have it.....i hope I still have it!

hi smilliescooby..no i only had one fob the AA man tried walking around the car for about 10 minutes to try and get it working but no joy..im ringing subaru later to find out what the hells going on they got me a new fob which is costing me 50 quid and they've put in a new pad so thay said which cost me another 30 quid ill let you know what happens later
Old 08 October 2012, 07:36 AM
dyfiboy
Scooby Newbie

Mine is a Bugeye WRX with the Sigma drop down code on the right of the steering wheel....I hope that you have the same...?

yes i do mate..
Old 08 October 2012, 07:45 AM
dyfiboy
Scooby Newbie

Those were all posted by a guy called SigmaSam....a while back....

I know it might sound patronising but, have you tried brand new batteries?

I was using the pin code for a few day cos I thought my fob was kaput but, I got new batteries and its fine now...?

yes i put new battries in about 5 weeks ago
Old 08 October 2012, 08:06 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 760 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisB
Does anyone know where you can get new keypads. Some of the numbers have stopped working on mine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
Old 08 October 2012, 08:08 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Worth reading through the original source of info..................

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/topic/96215...larm-problems/
Old 10 October 2012, 09:06 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you have done step A can you change the pin to whatever you want?
Old 10 October 2012, 10:35 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by K3ogh_sti
After you have done step A can you change the pin to whatever you want?
post#4..........
Changing your PIN:
Old 10 October 2012, 10:36 PM
K3ogh_sti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah cheers my bad for not reading :s