ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

up pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07 October 2012, 08:34 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default up pipe?

im after a bit of input regarding up pipes. ive got a set of api ported headers to go on my classic wagon and then a map tweak with andy f. what im wondering is ive bought an up pipe which is heatwrapped etc which i was going to fit along with the headers but i read a few posts recently saying different up pipes could actually be worse and make turbo spool slower. im sure the person i bought it from said it was a larger diameter pipe than standard. id assumed this would be better than standard as ie larger means gases exit quicker hence more spool? but ive read a few posts mainly from harvey etc saying its quite important to have the right size pipe. does anyone know the diameter of an origional pipe as fitted to a classic? is it 2 1/2 same as exhaust? (its 2 /12 system on mine) just wanting to know if i should stick with origional up pipe or put on the new one without spoiling the spool characteristics of the turbo (td05) thanks for any advice.
Old 07 October 2012, 08:45 PM
scoobygaz1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default re uppipe

You`ve answered your own question ask harvey tell him your spec and he`ll sort you out
Old 07 October 2012, 08:56 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

ive already bought this up pipe so not really wanting to buy another as i know harvey can sell me one lol. just wanted some opinions on wether the origional would be better than a larger diameter aftermarket one. i suppose harvey is the man to advise on this tho
Old 07 October 2012, 09:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Up pipe with a larger than stock diameter results in noticable turbo lag(slower spool up) over another up pipe of stock-like diameter.

Can you take the picture of the Up-pipe,is this Up Pipe with flexi bit etc.?

Jura
Old 07 October 2012, 09:22 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

hey jura thanks for replying as always, heres a link to the ad when i bought it, ill get a pic tomorrow as im off to work nightshift. he said it was wider at the headers and oem size at turbo. https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...d-up-pipe.html
Old 07 October 2012, 10:24 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
hey jura thanks for replying as always, heres a link to the ad when i bought it, ill get a pic tomorrow as im off to work nightshift. he said it was wider at the headers and oem size at turbo. https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...d-up-pipe.html
This Up pipe looks like is slightly bigger than OE STi,if you can measure the this Up pipe on both sides and this can be good start

Jura
Old 08 October 2012, 12:21 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura will post a pic and measurement in the morning. If it's biggerthan standard would you advise against fitting it ?

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2012, 12:23 AM
scoobyman2007
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harvey mate
Old 08 October 2012, 12:33 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura will post a pic and measurement in the morning. If it's biggerthan standard would you advise against fitting it ?
This Up pipe looks like is from 2bolt GT Spec,but please check if is there flexi joint like this

If its there I would advise don't fit this up pipe,your OE classic Up pipe should be OK with TD05H

Jura
Old 09 October 2012, 08:59 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

hi jura, if you still on this thread i measured the up pipe it is slightly wider at the headers end, 2 and a quarter inch narrowing to 2" at the turbo side. its dei heatwrapped but not slip jointed, looks a pretty standard pipe apart from being slightly wider at the headers end. im thinking it might be ok as it narrows back down at the turbo so still speeding up the gases as it should whilst letting a bit more gases in at the headers end?
Old 09 October 2012, 11:44 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

hi jura, if you still on this thread i measured the up pipe it is slightly wider at the headers end, 2 and a quarter inch narrowing to 2" at the turbo side. its dei heatwrapped but not slip jointed, looks a pretty standard pipe apart from being slightly wider at the headers end. im thinking it might be ok as it narrows back down at the turbo so still speeding up the gases as it should whilst letting a bit more gases in at the headers end?

Hi there should be OK there,if is NOT there any kind of the Flexi joint you will be OK

Jura
Old 10 October 2012, 12:12 AM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura. Just out of curiousity why is it not a good idea to fit the slip jointed ones? I thought they were good as they allow for vibration and expansion through the headers and help stop them cracking etc?
Old 10 October 2012, 01:07 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jura. Just out of curiousity why is it not a good idea to fit the slip jointed ones? I thought they were good as they allow for vibration and expansion through the headers and help stop them cracking etc?
Hi there

Slip jointed should be good,but not with flexi joint as above,those with flexi joint will kill spool up

Jura