Urgent solicitor advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2012, 11:38 AM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent solicitor advice please

Morning all,

Perhaps this should be in Muppets section...

Need the details of a good solicitor in Chelmsford, Essex to deal with a motoring offence. (Insurance related, very long story)

I live in Wiltshire and my local solicitors recommended getting someone local to the court, I presume as they are more likely to know the local beak.

Anyone been there, done that and can recommend someone?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08 October 2012, 05:34 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

There are people on here that i'm sure have been through similar. If you describe the situation/problem with out making admissions or identifying parties involved you might get some helpful info.
Old 08 October 2012, 05:50 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

Relied (with hindsight) foolishly on auto renewal for my car insurance as I'm a little limited as to the companies I can use because of a clause I need added on my insurance and I never seem to get round to looking for new policies.

So when a letter came from my insurance company, I looked at the header and assumed it was the usual "if you want to stay with us don't do anything" letter and put it in a filing pile.

I then got pulled at Stanstead Airport for no insurance on the ANPR and obviously couldn't produce documents, hence charge. To be fair to the Officers who stopped me, they could probably have seized my car, but as it was 0400, they couldn't check the database, so let the parking firm park my car.

I appreciate that it is an absolute offence, but there are obviously mitigating circumstances with respect to sentencing - I'm assuming that the fact the Insurance Company were constructive in this counts for not much with regard to pleading. It could also have significant consequence to work I do inside and outside my normal work which one could argue could make it not in the public interest to prosecute, but I won't hold my breath with that respect.

So any advice appreciated.
Old 08 October 2012, 05:59 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Do you have any proof that you're on ever were on auto renewal? If so or not, can or will your insurance write you a letter to confirm your story?

Were you given a fixed penalty notice or were you told that you would hear something in writing?

As for the mitigating circumstances, i'm not sure that this can be taken into account unless you opt for a trial.
Old 08 October 2012, 06:04 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

I could get a transcript of my phone calls to the Insurance Company and they must have a record of letters sent to me.

Whilst I would like to get an absolute discharge, I'm more hoping that mitigation in sentencing might be useful.
Old 08 October 2012, 07:34 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

Court date or ticket?

Have you considered speaking with your local citizens advice?
Old 08 October 2012, 07:40 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What did the letter from the insurance company actually say ? something like there are no days grace and you must renew your insurance ?

Shaun
Old 08 October 2012, 07:45 PM
drjsd
Scooby Regular

"To enable us to invite renewal, please contact us so that we may clarify matters.

We look forward to hearing from you, please note that, if we do not receive a reply, the policy will lapse on the renewal date above."

They clarified this when I spoke to them as meaning there was a policy addition that cost extra and by removing it if I didn't need it I could save money...

And letter is summons, Nov 5th (day before birthday... )
Was advised at time to wait for summons before doing anything.
Old 08 October 2012, 07:51 PM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

You have a summons which still means you can attend on the day and enter a plea with mitigating circumstances, i think.

I know that as a result of ANPR an officer can issue a fixed penalty notice for £200 and 6 points on your licence providing that won't take you to over 12 points.

I think the citizen advice bureau should be able to help you further.

In the mean time you could speak to the freedom of information manager at your insurance company who should be able to tell you what they can provide and how much they'll charge and how long they'll take.

Hopefully someone with law knowledge will see this and help you further.