Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Still on the hunt for a Scoob then Type R is mentioned!

Search this Thread

Old 24 November 2012, 06:19 PM
Mastiff
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still on the hunt for a Scoob then Type R is mentioned!

I am still on a mission to find a good Scoob for £2,500. I am 38 and have a family and the Scoob will be my only car so looking for something reliable to which I know Scooby's are. Last night I was talking about them to some pals and one of them said to keep away from Scooby's as they are not reliable and parts and fuel are stupidly expensive, he then said the Honda Type R's go for around 2.5k these days. I know nothing at all about Type R Hondas, are they any good? I know I may get shot down in flames for putting this on a Scooby forum but I don't belong to any other forums so any help would be great. Also I am sure parts are not that expensive for a UK 2000 Turbo Scoob?
Old 24 November 2012, 06:23 PM
addi monster
Scooby Regular

subarus are as reliable as any other car to be fair, parts are cheap and 25-30mpg can be acheived so tell the honda lover to toddle on
Old 24 November 2012, 06:34 PM
thunder8
Scooby Regular

my mate had a type r wasnt really any better on fuel than subaru,

Last edited by thunder8; 24 November 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo error
Old 24 November 2012, 06:53 PM
Mastiff
Scooby Newbie

Thank you! What I thought after looking on here at part prices as there seem to be many getting broken for spares these days so an ideal way of saving a few quid.

As for fuel I am sure the Type R's have to be thrashed to make any progress which would surely mean they would guzzle fuel? I have read about Scoob's if driven with care being able to do 25-30mpg, obviously on boost it must be a different story. I had a Volvo T5 Auto for a few months.....It was horrible. Firstly it was an auto, then it weighed as much as a block of flats so handling was crap, then the fuel bills.....Best I ever got was 19mpg and this was driving like miss daisy!!
Old 24 November 2012, 07:42 PM
oHUTCHYo
Scooby Regular

I owned a Honda Civic Type-R EP3. They are fun to drive due to the high revving engine and that little jolt of power whrn the VTEC kicks in (yo!)

Ultimately though, the lack of torque becomes apparent when you own the car for a while.

Im 30 and wouldnt own one at my age, reason; you need to thrash them and ultimately look like a baseball cap wearing 19 year old. I enjoyed ownership though, especially with the positioning of the gearstick for excellent gear changes.
Old 24 November 2012, 10:13 PM
Mastiff
Scooby Newbie

Just been reading......They dont produce any real power till 5'800rpm -8'200rpm......Sod that! So anything lower than that power band and the torque is very low. So any overtaking would mean a load of gear changes!

I do like the location of the gearstick and just reading the reviews have all praised this car for the gear changes. The average is 280-320 miles to a 50 litre tank but can drop to 140 miles on hard driving and at best 390 miles.
Old 24 November 2012, 10:24 PM
Addaz_206
Scooby Regular

To be perfectly honest, you need to be my age and think more about that local high school than have a family to own a Type R

Lovely feeling and sound, but compared to a subaru?! (a mans one, so not mine) There is just no point even contemplating one.

As i have seen on here, some Gx models have lasted past 250k miles which is pretty dam good for a petrol
Old 24 November 2012, 11:23 PM
Pedroturbo
Scooby Regular

i have a uk turbo 2000 and i can tell you that they are not that bad as long as you keep up with maintanence & servicing just like every other car. I would say the fuel is expensive but im 23 and have a severe case of a heavy right foot.

Beware though the bad side to owning a subaru is you will find yourself having an affair with the car and counting down the days untill payday so you can buy her something special !
Old 24 November 2012, 11:29 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 497 Likes on 339 Posts

i went from a facelift ep3 type r to my 1st scoob and the subaru is just as reliable as the honda and alot faster too saying that tho i was not at all un-happy with the civic and i would own another in a heart-beat
Old 25 November 2012, 09:04 AM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

As a direct comparison on fuel - I had a blob eye wrx and the best I ever got from a tank was 28 mpg. I now have an FN2 and the best I've got from a tank is 34 mpg. These are based on commuting and not long journeys.

So the type r will be a bit better on fuel (20% in my case). How much better obviously depends on the driver.
Old 25 November 2012, 10:52 AM
Matt2732
Scooby Regular

Get out in both, have a drive and see what you think. Both good cars but I can see the honda would be better on fuel, especially for pottering around
Old 25 November 2012, 12:47 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

i had a type r prior to my scoob was a nice car but u had to ring its neck to get the power out of it which i didnt really like also they use quite a bit of oil so regular oil top ups were required as for mpg i wouldnt say they were a million times better than the impreza
Old 25 November 2012, 01:12 PM
Mastiff
Scooby Newbie

I have just read about the oil use on them Graig! Honda say that on each petrol fill up the oil should be checked?!

Performance stats are not that bad with hitting 60 in 6.5......Scooby's I am looking at are the UK 2000 Turbo which is coming up at 6.2 to hit 60mph. Thing I am drawn to with the Scooby's is they are more practical as I have a small family. 2 daughters, one of 14 years old and the other of 4 years old, an American Bulldog and a medium sized mongrel. My American Bulldog is the size of a labrador and weighs 35kg, I think the boot on a Type R may struggle housing my dogs as I take them to the woods at least twice a week. This guy I was speaking to the other night said a pal of his owned a UK 2000 Turbo and cost £82 to fill up and would get 200 miles from that.....Surely that cant be correct?
Old 25 November 2012, 01:38 PM
scoobwrx94import
Scooby Regular

buy a scooby wagon for extra room the type r are nice had a accord but as everyone says have to kick its **** in if u feel like having a spirited drive totally different compared to the subaru and tbh dont think there fast at all
Old 25 November 2012, 03:50 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds to me like running cost are of serious concern - in which case i would forget a Scoob. In a Classic i would expect anything between 19 and 23 mpg which can be stretched higher if driven carefully.
Contrary to other replies - i don't think they are cheap to run at all. They require a service every 7.5k miles and being awd, they chew 4 tyres at a time instead of 2. Brake pads are upwards of £60 with disks coming in at £100 a pair - I think a Type R would be far cheaper to run!