ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Finally back on the road.

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 10:38 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally back on the road.

Well after driving my Dads 106 1.1 P plate for the last 13 weeks due to the scoob suffering head gasket failure I'm back in it. DIY Rebuilt the engine standard spec but with ACL Duraglide big end and main bearings, new head bolts, Hastings rings, reseated valves full decoke and clean along with all new seals, Dayco timing belt kit, new water pump, second hand good TD04 replacement, gaskets and 7 thou head skims as they weren't warped. Countless other bit's and bobs. Came in well under budget at just under £700.00. Very happy. Really enjoyed taking the whole engine appart and getting it fixed up real good in a 4' by 6' shed in the cold but well worth it. Cold cranked the engine for about a 90 seconds then went for the start, First turn of the key, super quiet and no oil or coolant leaks couldn't of asked for more from it.

Just like to say thanks to the following guy's for advice and supplying parts:
Dean at Powermax engineering.
Simon at ICP
Kev at SC
Darren DGM for the TD04
All at Foxwood engineering for a 2hr head skim service.
Fellow Scoobynet users for sound advice.
Cheers Guys.
Just need to run it in now.

Last edited by Firez34; 28 November 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 29 November 2012, 01:09 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Default Diy'ers

Top work bud, glad there is a few diy'ers like myself out there!!
I'm currently doing a similar diy build and im finding it very intresting and satisfiying.
I had valve/camshaft trouble with mine, so re furbed the heads, fitting uprated steel headgaskets, Acl race bearings all round, new rings etc. Just in the process of putting it all back together. Should have her up and running for christmas and at a similar cost to urs.
Plus ive learnt a hell of a lot in the process. Wouldnt thing twice about pulling another engine for a rebuild now!!
Tim.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:04 PM
Firez34
Scooby Regular

[quote=spudboytim;10887670]Top work bud, glad there is a few diy'ers like myself out there!!
I'm currently doing a similar diy build and im finding it very intresting and satisfiying.
I had valve/camshaft trouble with mine, so re furbed the heads, fitting uprated steel headgaskets, Acl race bearings all round, new rings etc. Just in the process of putting it all back together. Should have her up and running for christmas and at a similar cost to urs.
Plus ive learnt a hell of a lot in the process. Wouldnt thing twice about pulling another engine for a rebuild now!!
Tim

Same here Tim wouldn't think twice about doing aagain and I'm going to stick with scoobs until I can no longer drive anymore.