Spoiler help for hubby pls!!!

Search this Thread

Old 29 November 2012, 01:27 PM
Bodie76
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler help for hubby pls!!!

Hi all,

My husband has been banging on about getting himself a WRC spoiler for his car all year, its all i hear about. I know hes got a 2004 WRX and its a Bluey colour (if thats any help?) just wondered where the best place to get one is? or if anyone has a second hand one. any help appreciated as its going to be a Christmas present. XXXXXXXXX
Old 29 November 2012, 01:38 PM
g7prs
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an STI spoiler and five perrin stiffies or a cheap replica wrc one that will look naff.
Old 29 November 2012, 01:46 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

As above ^^^^

Speak to Scott @ http://www.scoobyspares.com/
Old 29 November 2012, 01:50 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Try Scott at Scooby spares, he might have one in that colour off another car. Otherwise your need to buy a copy in primer then get it colour coded to the car which will cost a lot more. Either way go for an STI spoiler rather than a WRC IMO one as the previous post says. A word of warning the genuine STI spoilers use more fixing holes than the WRX spoiler he currently has, so your options there are either to source a 2nd hand STI boot with the correct amount of holes or if he's confident he can drill the correct amount of holes in his current boot lid, although personally I'd go for the other option, which I did in the past.
Old 29 November 2012, 02:09 PM
scooberuni
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had one on mine when I first got it and I hated it. The view out of the rear was very restrictive due to the number of vertical members on it. Also, it was very heavy and getting the boot open was a prat about. Because of the amount of holes needed to secure it, I found that the boot quite often leaked aswell. I sold it on ebay for about £300 so I assume that's about the going rate for a second hand one. They are a really heavy item though considering they're made out of fibreglass.
Old 29 November 2012, 05:02 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I'd also be rather wary of going down the Perrin Wing Stiffi route... from what I've read on here they're poor quality (especially considering they're around £40 each) and require a whole lot of bodging and fiddling to try and get them to fit right.
Old 29 November 2012, 05:37 PM
IggyRB320
Scooby Regular

The Perrin Wing Stiffi themselves are a quality item!
The only issue is getting them to stay fixed at the bottom, as the top is held in by 2 allen bolts, in OW holes already in the top underside of the spoiler.
the only way i see of getting the bottom to securely affix, is by putting a spacer of a strip of rubber in the top, which will be held in place by the allen bolts.
Then some good quality high adhesive double side foam. The stuff supplied with the Stiffi's isn't the best!
Some black 'No More Nails' foam tape would be ideal... & I think it holds up to 50kgs! But only if the spacer is fitted at the top.
Old 29 November 2012, 10:07 PM
S10WRC
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine has a very good replica WRC spoiler in WR Blue (same as Subaru WRC colour) which he may be willing to sell if that's any help?

Let me know if of interest and i can find out for you tomorrow

Steve
Old 29 November 2012, 10:47 PM
mike74
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IggyRB320
The Perrin Wing Stiffi themselves are a quality item!
The only issue is getting them to stay fixed at the bottom, as the top is held in by 2 allen bolts, in OW holes already in the top underside of the spoiler.
the only way i see of getting the bottom to securely affix, is by putting a spacer of a strip of rubber in the top, which will be held in place by the allen bolts.
Then some good quality high adhesive double side foam. The stuff supplied with the Stiffi's isn't the best!
Some black 'No More Nails' foam tape would be ideal... & I think it holds up to 50kgs! But only if the spacer is fitted at the top.
I'm not trying to look for an argument or anything but I don't understand how you can describe them as a ''quality item'' and then go on to explain how you need to start arsing around with spacers, rubber strips and no more nails to get them to stay in place. (I've also heard other people say there are no pre-drilled holes in them and the allen bolts aren't long enough!)

If they were a bit more reasonably priced I might accept a certain amount of faffing to get them to fit, but for something thats so expensive and is supposed to be designed for one purpose only... i.e. to fit a standard sti spoiler, the fact that they don't even fit properly is just totally unacceptable in my book!
Old 30 November 2012, 06:52 AM
Osimabu
Scooby Regular

If he's after a proper carbon fibre one, you can get them from Launsport in Japan:

http://www.wrc.gr.jp/launsport/wing/wing.html

You'll need to hunt about a bit to find the right one on the site, and they are around £2000. You get what you pay for though, and if you can afford one, they're astonishingly well made and light weight.
Old 30 November 2012, 03:50 PM
Bodie76
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by S10WRC
A friend of mine has a very good replica WRC spoiler in WR Blue (same as Subaru WRC colour) which he may be willing to sell if that's any help?

Let me know if of interest and i can find out for you tomorrow

Steve

Thanks Steve, that would be a great help, along with a few pics if possible? XXXX