Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Classic rear window seal lifting (with pic!)

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2013, 10:56 AM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic rear window seal lifting (with pic!)

Is this likely to be causing a problem?

Name:  4E2F3436-2206-4C7E-B4C7-78AF9EB72D10-70502-0000BBF410A86AA3.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  51.4 KB

I do get a lot of water in the boot and under rear seats but have tried and tried to figure out the source but I really can't find out where the problem is.
I don't think it's the boot seal or lights or spoiler so wondered if that was the problem?

Thanks
Old 12 January 2013, 11:04 AM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ellie*

I do get a lot of water in the boot and under rear seats but have tried and tried to figure out the source but I really can't find out where the problem is.
I don't think it's the boot seal or lights or spoiler so wondered if that was the problem?

Thanks
If they are like the new age screens, then this trim does not seal anything. If the screen is bonded on correctly it wouldn't leak with the trim remove, it's just for looks. But if you do have an incorrectly fitted screen it could well be leaking there.
Remove interior c piller trim and parcel shelve and take a look.
Old 12 January 2013, 11:38 AM
madscoob
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ellie*

Thanks
you can buy those clips from silverstone autosport in wales . it has come unclipped thats all its a simple fix and no it wont cause a leek,(forgive the joke lol)

Last edited by madscoob; 12 January 2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 12 January 2013, 11:38 AM
Hawkeye D
Scooby Regular

Received 136 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a similar problem here :

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...g-pics-up.html
Old 12 January 2013, 11:51 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Ellie, where is the water in the boot?

I HAVE had a leak from the rear screen, it was the bonding not done properly. You could see it when the rear parcel shelf, which was also damp, was out. Run water down the screen and it beaded on the inside at the bottom and one side.

If it's that, you will need it removed and resealed. A decent windscreen place will do it.
Old 12 January 2013, 07:19 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Hmmm, the parcel shelf isn't wet from what I can feel.

Alcazar- you replied on my other thread didn't you and gave me some suggestions?
I just can't figure it out.
Water is everywhere. The boot carpet was wrecked when I got it and there's water marks up the side trim. The wheel well is permenantly filled with water and down the side behind the rear wheel arches are full of water.
Everytime I open the boot the underside is covered with condensation.
Sick to death of it because it really annoys me!
Old 12 January 2013, 07:23 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Is it the original spoiler? Have you checked the mounting points there?
I had an aftermarket one fit to my old car, that was installed poorly (by a professional company often praised on here) and leaked. I had a two hour round trip to get that resolved.
Old 13 January 2013, 11:54 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If there's water in the boot, it CAN get in via the following routes, in order of likelihood:

Rear lights. It comes in over the top as the seals deteriorate. Remove lights, scrape off old seal, replace on a 10mm bead of Carafax.**

Spoiler: as above, ensure a continuous bead of Carafax** around all holes in boot lid under spoiler, and right round underside of spoiler about 30mm in.

Boot seal: the rubber deteriorates too. It can either be replaced, or you MIGHT get away with lifting it and putting some Carafax** under it. I did.

Vents low down on the inner wings: these can fill with crud and stick open, allowing water in. Clean out and allow to close.

Rear Screen: if it's this, the rear parcel shelf and rear seats will be damp. It needs removed and resealed professionally.

**Carafax: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40
Old 13 January 2013, 01:38 PM
Ellie*
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. I dont thinks it's the window seal then as the parcel shelf and seat are fine.
The spoiler is original and I'm thinking that there is far too much water for it to be that?
The boot seal has had 2 tubes of clear silicon under it (before I realised I shouldn't use it).

It would look like the lights are the likeliest culprit, although they aren't wet on the inside, even with water pouring over them, I can't see any leaks.

How do I even remove the lights and where can I get them clip things that stick the interior trim back?