need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2013, 03:55 PM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help

hello all
I am a full on newbie and have a question what is the difference between a 4bar map sensor and a boost solenoid from the description they sound similar bug sure someone can fill me in. please ignore my ignorance trying to learn a bit.
cheers and thand you in advance for any info you can give.
cheers
kris
Old 12 January 2013, 04:24 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A MAP sensor is a "Manifold Absolute Pressure" sensor, used to measure the pressure in the manifold. A 4 bar sensor can measure up to 4 bar absolute which is the same as 3 bar relative to atmospheric pressure, since atmospheric pressure is nominally 1 bar. In other words, it is good for boost pressure up to 3 bar. A 2.5 or 3 bar MAP sensor is more typically used (good for 1.5 or 2 bar boost respectively).

A Boost Control Solenoid is a 3 way air valve controlled by an electric solenoid. It is used to control the flow of air from a take-off nipple on the turbo compressor outlet and the wastegate - it can switch air between the wastegate and (back into) the inlet manifold.

The ECU modulates the control signal to the solenoid rapidly so that that boost pressure at which the wastegate opens at is under the control of the ECU. It uses the MAP sensor to measure the results of the current solenoid control signal so it can maintain the demanded boost pressure.

HTH