Do you horse whip it... With love

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2013, 07:31 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you horse whip it... With love

Evening Gents.

Now, as the title sugests. Do you horse whip your pride an joy. I'm aiming this question more at the WRX owners. Now i don't mean just out right abuse (some of you might). But letting it warm up, cool down, changing gear productively insteading slamming it. In the same breath in respect to the above an the title. My point of view is... "driving hard with mechanical sympathy"

Ive owned a classic wrx before, an it was fantastic. Then I had got an Accord Type R. Which was incredible bit of kit. Then engine was a gem

Now I have a newage bug WRX with a shed full of go faster bits ready to bolt on. (collecting all the mods, then doing one big tune) it's only done 49k, well looked after. And I have all these bits n bobs to bolt on ready for a map as said.

Now this has probably been asked on here a thousand times. How much is too much for a newage WRX?

Bare in mind. What my car needs it gets. Oil changed every 4 months religiously. Car only gets used at weekends. Not just pub talk, but it really does get warmed up an cooled down. An do about 8-10k a year, max.

The mods I've got installed an ready to go on with an Andy Carr super rom map should see 330-350 maybe, depending on boost obviously.

Just wanted to hear the community's view on how they treat their motor, what it can take (with in reason) an how it's treated in respect to faults an tolerances. I'm fair mechanical minded an do some of my own work an tuning. But as said. Would like to hear Scoobynet drivers experiences.

Many thanks in advance peeps
Old 19 January 2013, 07:35 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

You have to give it some mechanical sympathy if you want bits too last, remember your looking at upping the power by over 100bhp, clutch, gearbox, brakes etc all take a hammering with that extra power/torque.

I treat mine with sympathy, never drive hard until oil up to temp and never really launch on the spot at high revs, on the flip side of it the car is a performance car and is designed to be driven so you also should enjoy it when conditions allow.

in summary, look after it within reason, service it/oil change it regulary, give it good fuel and get it mapped by someone decent and you should have a reliable and enjoyable car.
Old 19 January 2013, 07:50 PM
scoobaru mad
Scooby Regular

Ahh, forgot to mention the brakes. All been uprated.

I'm not a side stepper on the box. At the most 4.5k, an smoothly but swiftly slip the clutch up to the sprint. Enough to hold boost an not bog. But kind enough for the gears to engage an bite.

Engine oil regularly checked an changed when needed, an 'always' warmed up. A good ten mins below 3k driving. Oil temp. Oil pressure. And AFR to be fitted soon.

Thanks for the input Barnshaw
Old 19 January 2013, 07:54 PM
barnshaw
Scooby Regular

Sound like you have it pretty covered, if things break then they can be repaired or upgraded! enjoy it and be safe