ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

How good is STi OEM Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2013, 09:54 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How good is STi OEM Suspension?

I've had my PPP widetrack Blob since November, and after a few aesthetic purchases (JDM dials, splitter, badges, etc) I'm now forming my "proper" shopping list.

My initial plan was to refurb the brakes all round in way of new disks, pads, hoses and fluid. Once this was done I was going to swap out the standard springs and shocks for coilovers.

I'd be looking at the more budget setups such as BC's or Race Logics - but realistically how much better are these than the standard setup for the odd spirited drive on the roads? I'm nervous about switching to coilovers and £900 later ending up with a crashy ride and marginally better handling.

My rears are doing the "standard-issue" knocking, but from what I've read this can be rectified with a bit of grease and a grease nipple for future servicing. I'd happily spend the time and effort on this if it is indeed a reliable fix.

I guess I'm asking whether or not it's worth splashing out on coilvoers for a sub £1k budget - or should I simply save that money and either get better coilovers at a later stage, or spend the cash elsewhere such as exhaust, headers, etc?

On the subject of OEM suspension, I'm convinced that my car is sat lower than other widetracks which I've seen - but at a glance it's difficult to tell if the springs are aftermarket or not. Are there any tips/tricks to identifying the springs on my car?

Cheers
Old 26 January 2013, 10:02 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

If your happy with ride as it is as a daily drive then rebuild them, but it won't be as good on spirited drives or trackdays than coilovers, however the tyres you use will make a dramatic effect on track.
Coilovers wise I would go for racing logics as they are very good for daily driving and absorbe bumps quite well then on spirited/track days adjust the dampers as they have 32 damp settings. Between the two coilovers you have mentioned I'd go with RL.
Old 26 January 2013, 10:03 PM
Silverrally
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would stick to the standard sti suspension. Spend the cash having it properly set up. Good tyres are money well spent, really make a differance when pushing the car. Spend the change on fuel i would
Old 26 January 2013, 10:18 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
If your happy with ride as it is as a daily drive then rebuild them, but it won't be as good on spirited drives or trackdays than coilovers, however the tyres you use will make a dramatic effect on track.
Coilovers wise I would go for racing logics as they are very good for daily driving and absorbe bumps quite well then on spirited/track days adjust the dampers as they have 32 damp settings. Between the two coilovers you have mentioned I'd go with RL.
Taking my car on the track isn't something I plan on making a habit of - but I'll never say never

I'll await a few more opinions, but I'm starting to talk myself out of coilovers. For the record though, I'm leaning towards the RL's over the BC's based on a few reviews I'd read.
Old 26 January 2013, 10:19 PM
beastturbo
Scooby Regular

I cant belive how much of a transformation fitting the bcs did to my car!
After 5 years of ownership the rears started knocking so decided on the bcs as highly recommended from scoobyworld and on here! Camt fault them... Although if set up on a fairly hard setting yes u dont want to be hitting a pot hole or bump in the road as u will feel it.. But no harder than standed ride in soft setting,
Feels like there is mimimal body role compared to the oem springs

My cars a 03 sti btw. And also had these fitted to my mates hawkeye.
Old 26 January 2013, 11:13 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silverrally
I would stick to the standard sti suspension. Spend the cash having it properly set up. Good tyres are money well spent, really make a differance when pushing the car. Spend the change on fuel i would
I've got fairly decent tyres on, at least I think so - they're Conti Sport Contact 3's.

As for setting up the OEM suspension, are you talking geometry settings? Are there any suspension "accessories" worth picking up before getting this done, such as ARB's and Drop Links?

I noticed when my car was on ramps, that it has the Whiteline Anti-Lift kit installed - but as far as I can tell, the drop links and ARB's are OEM... saying that, I've actually got no idea since the whiteline stuff seems to look like rusty OEM parts within about 3weeks anyway
Old 28 January 2013, 07:01 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

I've been thinking this over and I'm leaning further and further towards keeping the standard shocks, refurbing them and then uprating droplinks/ARBs.

I may consider picking up some aftermarket springs if they're deemed worthwhile. I've seen both Eibachs and Tein's for ~£200.

Once sorted, I'll arrange a proper geometry setup by somebody who can recommend some fast road settings.

I'll then have change for headers, exhaust and a remap
Old 28 January 2013, 07:16 PM
vance1
Scooby Regular

Fonzey, I've tried coilovers but have gone back to standard shocks refurbed by Richard Henrys and fitted Prodrive springs, much better than standard springs and the coilovers
Old 28 January 2013, 07:20 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by vance1
Fonzey, I've tried coilovers but have gone back to standard shocks refurbed by Richard Henrys and fitted Prodrive springs, much better than standard springs and the coilovers
Thanks Vance, it's actually the guys at Richard Henry who advised me that the refurb was even possible.

Are the Prodrive springs available for the Widetrack Blob? How easy are they to get hold of?
Old 28 January 2013, 07:44 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Doesn't ppp come with updated springs would explain why it's lower maybe? What colour are yours?
Old 28 January 2013, 09:00 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

My springs are black. From what I've read, the prodrive ones are red?
Old 28 January 2013, 09:17 PM
jimbo14prodrive
Scooby Regular

U had to have the prodrive suspension pack (which are red springs) I got these on my 05 sti ppp
Old 28 January 2013, 09:20 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by vance1
Any contact details of this firm?

Do they remove the inserts, regrease and fit grease nipples?

Does anyone know of a place that can add a 3rd bearing rework to the inverted monotube KYB as it is being done for Bilsteins on RB320s?

Thanks.
Old 28 January 2013, 09:26 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jimbo14prodrive
U had to have the prodrive suspension pack (which are red springs) I got these on my 05 sti ppp
Thanks Jimbo, I guess my car doesn't have the suspension pack then as mine are black. I've got the certificate for the "other" PPP parts though.

Do I need to get lucky on eBay etc then?

I found the following:

Advertised as Prodrive Springs, but they're black(?)

Red springs but specifically mentioned as not being widetrack compatible

Originally Posted by fpan
Any contact details of this firm?

Do they remove the inserts, regrease and fit grease nipples?
http://www.richardhenrymotorsport.co.uk/

I'm not sure if they fit the nipples, or just do the dismantling/regreasing.

I'll be looking to do the job myself with the nipples though, as it sounds like the best way to properly pack the grease in. The future proofing is just a bonus!
Old 28 January 2013, 09:34 PM
fpan
Scooby Regular

Received 175 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks.

The first are for the hatchback.

Regarding the second, 2003-2004 Impreza STis had non-inverted dampers, so the spring rates of those may not be appropriate for your dampers.

Last edited by fpan; 28 January 2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 28 January 2013, 09:39 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Thanks fpan, I saw the "05-07" and assumed they were widetrack spec.

I guess I'll keep an eye ont' eBay and see what comes up, likewise with the classified sections on here
Old 28 January 2013, 09:43 PM
craigyp
Scooby Regular

ive had the pro drive springs put on my 05 sti. alot better than standard ones.. dosent seem to lower the car much though..
sat just gone also had the cdf alk fitted and full geo set up. and the car feels 100% better... just waiting for the rear cdf arb now. im not bothering with coilovers.

Last edited by craigyp; 28 January 2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 28 January 2013, 09:58 PM
Fonzey
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by craigyp
ive had the pro drive springs put on my 05 sti. alot better than standard ones.. dosent seem to lower the car much though..
sat just gone also had the cdf alk fitted and full geo set up. and the car feels 100% better... just waiting for the rear cdf arb now. im not bothering with coilovers.
Nice to know, I'm hearing good things about the CDF stuff. I'll be contacting them for droplinks and ARB's soon I reckon.