Old 22 February 2013, 03:28 AM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing my research ;)

Okay so first of all, seeing as this is my first post:

Hey all, nice to meet you!

Now onto the thread topic,

I'm looking at getting an Impreza for a nice weekend fun car, eventually daily driver (not the usual progression haha). I'm young and stupid at only 19, but I really want a car I can look after and take care of, knowing that it'll last forever (as I've heard Subarus are known for reliability) and when I do want to use it, it'll be a huge amount of fun .

Now, this thread is going to include quite a few questions so prepare haha.

First off, I won't be getting the car until December this year or maybe even later, depending if I have enough information to make a decision by then or not! Now, I'm going with a UK Spec non-turbo with the intention to get a few years of experience with a higher powered car and then move onto something a bit more juicy (and if I like the scoob, it'll likely be a turbo WRX or similar).

When looking at the GX/Sport models (and all others for that matter, at the moment anyway) I really don't know what I should be looking for, I'm quite a newbie when it comes to car mechanics but have had my fair share of getting my hands dirty (haven't been to a garage for years, all maintenance work I do myself, servicing and/or modifications) with my tiny engined Corsa. I'd like to know what I can expect from a non-turbo UK model at about £2,500 to £3,000. I love the look of the Blobeye models, and really would love a white one but they're very rare it seems in my area so that's not a requirement.

Would it be cheaper to buy a Bugeye and do the front end conversion? I feel like that is something I'd enjoy very much and so if it saves me a few quid in the mean time then why not!

I'd also like to kit it out with the WRX kit (Blob) as I simply LOVE the way it looks, maybe lower it ever so slightly to get the stance just right (practicality isn't necessarily an issue due to it only being a weekend motor) and get the best burble from the flat 4 as possible, what are the engine specs of the GX/Sport 2.0 models?

I'm not looking for performance, anything upwards of a 1.4 would be a new driving experience as I've only ever driven a 1.1 206, two 1.2 Corsas and had a VERY brief drive of an Impreza wagon (nonturbo). I've only ever owned one of those cars by the way, and I take care of it very well just to banish those thoughts that I've owned loads of cars and either run them to the ground or written them off, I'd never be looking at a Subaru if I didn't think I could maintain a car well.

I think I'm well and truly past the rambling stage now, so for those of you that don't want to sit through the mindless babble of an insomniac, here's the TLDR:

Budget of £2,500 - £3,000 for a UK, Non Turbo 2.0L Saloon.
Would prefer Blobeye but would like to do a front end conversion on a Bugeye if it saved money at the same time.
Want to style it similar to a WRX Blobeye and would like some nice coilovers and exhaust system, all of this will be bought after the car is bought but still included in the budget, if at all possible.

What sort of mileage should I look for (in a blob and a bug) and are there any known problems to look out for when viewing the cars?

Anything I've missed out that will aid you in understanding what I want please just ask me, I'm sure there's lots.
Old 22 February 2013, 04:06 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome
Ok now for the bad news
Where as there isnt much wrong with the NA 2ltr engined cars, the models you are looking at are, well to put it bluntly, gutless.
You are talking about a car weighing around the 1300kg mark, not very quick (125ps or 123bhp) and quite thirsty as cars go (plus high emissions mean higher tax brackets).

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...on-2000/30447/

On the other hand you could go for something like this... only a few insurance groups higher, better mpg and slightly newer

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...rt-2006/39042/

Really the none turbo models are best avoided, their running costs are not much less than that of the top WRX and STI models (servicing etc will be very similar and some of those can cost upto the 800 quid mark), so not trying to put you off but you would be better off with a hot hatch if you wanted to build up to a turbo'd Subaru (and really the car I have pointed out is probably slightly quicker than a wrx).
Your other option is looking at a newer car, the 170bhp hawkeye (R) is a better bet if you wanted one with decent grunt, id advise on buying one of those over the blob/bug NA cars any day

Tony
Old 22 February 2013, 04:38 AM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Welcome
Ok now for the bad news
Where as there isnt much wrong with the NA 2ltr engined cars, the models you are looking at are, well to put it bluntly, gutless.
You are talking about a car weighing around the 1300kg mark, not very quick (125ps or 123bhp) and quite thirsty as cars go (plus high emissions mean higher tax brackets).

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...on-2000/30447/

On the other hand you could go for something like this... only a few insurance groups higher, better mpg and slightly newer

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/review...rt-2006/39042/

Really the none turbo models are best avoided, their running costs are not much less than that of the top WRX and STI models (servicing etc will be very similar and some of those can cost upto the 800 quid mark), so not trying to put you off but you would be better off with a hot hatch if you wanted to build up to a turbo'd Subaru (and really the car I have pointed out is probably slightly quicker than a wrx).
Your other option is looking at a newer car, the 170bhp hawkeye (R) is a better bet if you wanted one with decent grunt, id advise on buying one of those over the blob/bug NA cars any day

Tony
Hey Tony,

I really appreciate the honest answer! Was definately worth sticking a thread up.

I do this quite often to be honest, I've been addicted to the sound of the UEL headers on a flat 4 with a larger-than-average bore exhaust, the stereotypical Subaru sound and I think that's probably clouded any other concerns I should've had, plus my long-time love for the look of the Impreza.

I'm looking at getting a saloon as it's just getting rediculous fitting anything into my hatch (including passengers! haha) and I seriously dislike the look of the 5 door hatchbacks, defeats the object in my opinion.

Honestly, I'd say I'm not bothered about the performance in terms of it being able to outrun anything else, I litterally have to put my foot to the floor in my 1.2 '97 Corsa to keep up with traffic (so I don't bother, poor engine!) so anything would be a bonus but if they are as economically painful as you say they are it may be time I banish the idea to the back of my head for a few years until I can realistically afford to insure and run a Turbo model.

I did have a look at the newer Hawkeye model and I must say I do very much like the look of them, and would probably see myself stretching to about £4,000 to get a decent one but I'd always think 'it's just not the right one' and so it seems pointless really.

Appreciate your input mate, thanks for that.

Instead of turning the thread into a typical "what car should I buy" thread (which I know most of the forum-go'ers will hate ), I'll leave it open to any more opinions on the Subaru's.

May have to look into some smaller engined saloons, maybe Honda (nice for looks, not too sure how reliable they are though) or even another Vauxhall as they're so easy to work on.
Old 22 February 2013, 06:07 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a classic sport as a company car during the late 90's. It wasn't fast, but it was fine as a normal daily runner. Don't be put off these, go and try one and decide for youself. However, as Tony has already siad, it's not got great performance and the runnings costs will be high. So unless you're really set on one or can't afford the insurance of a turbo then I'd think long and hard about it.
Old 22 February 2013, 07:52 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As mentioned the non turbo's are gutless and thirsty, also they don't have the burble you long for as standard, and the exhaust to make it burble is ish £500.

As your plan is not to get one for another year, i suggest you wait 2/3yrs until you can afford to run a turbo.

Honda's are number 1 in the reliability stakes and subarus are 2nd or 3rd, the 1.4 honda engine goes like stink and will return high 30's early 40's mpg, they are also easy to work on.

On a side note, nice to see a young un that knows how to form a sentence in english instead of the usual tripe,( M8, coz, woz, init) i presume you were educated outside the UK.

Peace bruv.
Old 22 February 2013, 08:13 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
On a side note, nice to see a young un that knows how to form a sentence in english instead of the usual tripe,( M8, coz, woz, init) i presume you were educated outside the UK.

^^^
Old 22 February 2013, 11:18 AM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by gpssti4
I had a classic sport as a company car during the late 90's. It wasn't fast, but it was fine as a normal daily runner. Don't be put off these, go and try one and decide for youself. However, as Tony has already siad, it's not got great performance and the runnings costs will be high. So unless you're really set on one or can't afford the insurance of a turbo then I'd think long and hard about it.
Yeah, I believe what you all say about the performance side of things but hopefully if I go and test drive one I'll really actually see it, enough to put me off buying the N/A model for now.

Like I said, I'm young and stupid and so the thoughts of 'oh I'll just live on scraps for a month' or 'it doesn't even matter if it's 0-60 in 20 seconds, as long as it's an impreza' will whizz through my head every now and then, hopefully a test drive will eradicate the temptation haha.

Thanks mate!

As mentioned the non turbo's are gutless and thirsty, also they don't have the burble you long for as standard, and the exhaust to make it burble is ish £500.

As your plan is not to get one for another year, i suggest you wait 2/3yrs until you can afford to run a turbo.

Honda's are number 1 in the reliability stakes and subarus are 2nd or 3rd, the 1.4 honda engine goes like stink and will return high 30's early 40's mpg, they are also easy to work on.

Peace bruv.
It isn't the money I'm worried about though, like I said I'd have it looking similar to a WRX model, if I was doing a bug-to-blob conversion with WRX bumpers and hood, wing etc I was expecting upwards of a thousand pounds anyway. However, I can only justify spending that sort of money if I am actually going to keep the car for a few years and if the car is so bad performance and economy wise I think I'd be constantly thinking that it's not quite the Impreza I was hoping for and that spending the money was a bad idea.

Fantastic news about the Honda engines, I knew they were Japanese and so would naturally fall into the 'more reliable' category, but I certainly didn't know they'd take first place! I think I'm undecided on whether to get a weekend fun car and keep my 1.2 for the daily drive, or to just get a slightly quicker, more spacious daily driver, because for a real fun car to drive I'd quite like to have all the bells and whistles, mainly 4 wheel drive too, otherwise I'd look at something like an S2000 or an Integra, would say the Civic Type-R but that's not really the look I'm going for, just doesn't appeal to me as it's a tad too boy-racer-ish.

Haha thanks, you'll be surprised to know I was actually educated (up to now, I am in university in Southampton) in Essex! I just chose a slightly different, less fake tanned, 'reem,' or yobbish path.

Safe geezer!

Haha seriously though, thanks alot, appreciate the input.
Old 22 February 2013, 11:20 AM
darrenb87
Scooby Regular

I waited years to get my impreza as i wanted the full sti experience.
If its going to be a weekend toy then i would say there is alot of other options over a 2.0 na scooby.
I know you have said that the small hatch isn't big enough for you, but if its a weekend toy then do you really need it to have plenty of room?
I went from a corsa like yours to a astra coupe turbo. They are fairly cheap now and have a bit of power behind them. Not really close to the subaru but they alright for what they are and are cheaper on insurance and get mid 30's for mpg.
Plus they are pretty comfy inside and have a massive boot.
If you can live with a hatch then try a little french hot hach. It will get you used to the bumpy ride but will be cheaper insurance wise than alot of others out there.
My clio 182 was great on country roads and kept up with with bigger engined cars on the straights to.
Hold off on the scooby dream for a bit longer and get some no claims and a few years experience then get a turbo model.
You wont regret it
Old 22 February 2013, 11:45 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iXiiN
would say the Civic Type-R but that's not really the look I'm going for, just doesn't appeal to me as it's a tad too boy-racer-ish.
And an impreza isnt!!!?

I had a Civic type-r at 19. Nearly 10 years ago now Great car, and a perfect stepping stone. Great performance, reliable and more importantly... you can insure it!! Great as a daily drive, keep it off cam and its decent on the MPG. When you give it some.... they fly!

it seems you're more concerned about the look of things though....?

Fair play by the way, you don't fit the 19 year old stereotype.

Last edited by Jazzy Jefferson; 22 February 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 22 February 2013, 11:59 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Just get a slightly quicker, more spacious daily driver, because for a real fun car to drive I'd quite like to have all the bells and whistles,
THIS^^

I'd look at something like an S2000 or an Integra, would say the Civic Type-R but that's not really the look I'm going for, just doesn't appeal to me as it's a tad too boy-racer-ish.
The S2000 is an excellent choice, one of my best mates has one and they are cracking cars, you'll have to up your budget to £4/5k to find a decent one that hasn't been to the moon and back though.

Have you considered a Mazda MX5, if you want a cheap fun weekend car they are impossible to beat they are the most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on, the rear wheel drive will also teach you how to drive a proper car, decent ones can be had for less than £2k and they are also very reliable and cheap to run, you might want to break out the fake tan though.

You'll be surprised to know I was actually educated in Essex!
Old 22 February 2013, 12:31 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

THIS^^

The S2000 is an excellent choice, one of my best mates has one and they are cracking cars, you'll have to up your budget to £4/5k to find a decent one that hasn't been to the moon and back though.

Have you considered a Mazda MX5, if you want a cheap fun weekend car they are impossible to beat they are the most fun you can have in a car with your clothes on, the rear wheel drive will also teach you how to drive a proper car, decent ones can be had for less than £2k and they are also very reliable and cheap to run, you might want to break out the fake tan though.

at 19, I'd be very surprised if you can insure an s2000 for a sensible price.
MX5 is a good shout though
Old 22 February 2013, 02:16 PM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
And an impreza isnt!!!?

I had a Civic type-r at 19. Nearly 10 years ago now Great car, and a perfect stepping stone. Great performance, reliable and more importantly... you can insure it!! Great as a daily drive, keep it off cam and its decent on the MPG. When you give it some.... they fly!

it seems you're more concerned about the look of things though....?
Haha I guess some see it in a similar light yeah, peronally I think the boy-racer look has transformed somewhat into old, beaten up hatchbacks that haven't been looked after at all with an 80's style jap bodykit and huuuuge spoiler on . The Impreza is almost a reserved boy-racers car I guess, and the newer models do look very sophisticated with some OEM colour alloys and when they're not dropped to the ground, not to say sophisticated is the look everyone (or many when you buy a car for fun) is going for. The Civic Type-R has always just screamed boy-racer at me personally, but I have heard nothing but praise when it comes to the car itself so it may be best to give one a run and see if it can change my mind.

Fair play by the way, you don't fit the 19 year old stereotype.
I'm glad you think so, haha, I do make an effort to keep myself out of the young-gun stereotype that follows (and rightly so) my generation.

Originally Posted by Jazzy Jefferson
at 19, I'd be very surprised if you can insure an s2000 for a sensible price.
MX5 is a good shout though

They're fantastic cars, very stylish on the exterior with a nice modern interior, electronic dash etc. I remember my dad brought one home from work and picked me up from a school play I was participating in as a boy, oh the comments from my classmates, couldn't have been more smug if I'd tried. The drive home of course was an absoloute blast too, even being in the passenger seat.

You know as soon as I thought about the S2000, the MX-5 popped into my head as an alternative, I do want to get out of the FWD league as I'm not particularly keen on how they handle and would really love to dabble in the RWD scene, just don't want to catch the fever. I think I'll definately be looking at the MX-5 as an alternative for a weekend motor, as you say they are cheaper and it's very likely to be cheap on the insurance aswell, mind you at the cost of Joey Essex's Wonder Tan cream these days I don't know if I could afford to maintain the look!

The question now still begs an answer as to whether I'm upgrading or purchasing a weekend sprinter. I'm undecided, and as with all things I do, I'll have a long hard think before I make a decision.
Old 22 February 2013, 03:50 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

So humour us, what sort of insurance quotes have you had on these fine motors?
Old 22 February 2013, 04:26 PM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

From here on the quotes made are based on around 4000 miles yearly (for sake of a weekend car), 3 points on the license, 2 years NCB and are all fully comp with £500 excess.

A gutless 2.0l Blobeye Sport was around £750
MX-5, 06 plate, 2.0L is £870
Civic Type-R, I-VTEC 2.0L, 53 plate is £1,300
Civic Coupe, 1.6i VTi, 99 reg is £880
Hyundai Coupe SE, 2.0L MK2 is £750

And let's just have a laugh now shall we?
Honda S2000 Convertible, 2.0i VTEC, 99 reg is £7,295.85 for the year
Subaru Impreza WRX UK Blobeye, 2.0L Turbo, 03 plate is £11,562. Over twice the value of the car!

Currently paying £400 for my little Corsa haha, that's with only 1 years NCB and mods obviously declared. Will still seem expensive to you guys but in my first year of driving I paid £2,700 for insurance on the 1.2!
Old 22 February 2013, 05:38 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

So it's MX5 or Civic coupe, two nice cars to chose from, think i'd go for the Civic if it's an only car, or keep the Corsa and have the MX5 for fun.

Forget the fryandie they like a drink.
Old 24 February 2013, 06:51 PM
iXiiN
Scooby Newbie

So it's MX5 or Civic coupe, two nice cars to chose from, think i'd go for the Civic if it's an only car, or keep the Corsa and have the MX5 for fun.

Forget the fryandie they like a drink.
I do like them both, may have to be the MX5 as a weekend fun car though, will just live with the lack of space in the Corsa.

Also the good thing about buying it in December will mean I can put it in the garage, work on it until the summer to bring it up to the standard I want it to be at, then enjoy it all summer long. Hopefully... Haha!

Definately like the classics too, Mariner Blue... Ooft!
Old 24 February 2013, 09:37 PM
Arkynsei
Scooby Regular

I had the Hawk sport when I was your age, I enjoyed it very, very much. Given the chance now, I might have gone for a Civic Type R instead, personally. Something with a bit more guts, although the Scoob was beautiful.

I'm 21 now and just bought myself a Blob WRX STi, only 1k to insure, not too bad I didn't think! So you haven't got long until you're in that bracket. Although.. for a student.. the servicing, fuel and general running costs might be a little steep.
Old 25 February 2013, 08:42 AM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by iXiiN

And let's just have a laugh now shall we?
Honda S2000 Convertible, 2.0i VTEC, 99 reg is £7,295.85 for the year
Subaru Impreza WRX UK Blobeye, 2.0L Turbo, 03 plate is £11,562. Over twice the value of the car!
hehe, that's the laugh I was after Bloody criminal that is.
The others seem fairly reasonable though.

Definitely get a type-r