ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Rusty old classic

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2013, 01:08 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty old classic

Having read through Silver Scooby Sports thread and going back to read Daz's old thread where he under sealed his old Type R I started looking more closely at the rust patches on my old banger.

There was a very very poor repair job to the L/H arch and just in front of it, and the rust beneath it is now starting to show through...

L/H arch

R/H arch (Is this a factory *sealant*)

But just above the boot, under the rear screen concerns me the most...

So the car's MOT runs out in June, and this is when I plan to take it off road and overhaul it underneath. Now, how much of this will I have to cut away?. I was thinking about buying a 4dr chassis before it went to scrap and cutting away what I need, is that a good idea?.
Is it a good idea to invest in a good Tig/Mig welder (Not sure which I'd need) and maybe a short course in Welding to attempt this myself?

My other question would be if I get all the surface rust away what can be done to prevent it coming back? Is there much I can do now to prevent it growing over the next 3 months?

Last edited by Kwik; 17 March 2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:14 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

I think it's called Jellolite or similar, it's like a gel you just brush on and will certainly slow the process down, just a few £'s from Halfords.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:16 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Abx
I think it's called Jellolite or similar, it's like a gel you just brush on and will certainly slow the process down, just a few £'s from Halfords.
Ok thanks, inside and out??
Old 17 March 2013, 01:20 PM
Abx
Scooby Regular

From memory you paint it on any visible rust.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:46 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

Its good stuff, just about painted my nova in it when it was 4 years old. I had some stuff that went black over rust. Leave it on, primer it and respray it. Job done gotta love a rusty nova lol
Old 17 March 2013, 02:28 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good site for reference and product.

http://www.frost.co.uk/

Also this is the stone chip that's going under mine before painting.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/product/stonechipprotect

From looking around I've also read that the front arch is an identical curve and size to the rear so if the rears are damaged beyond economical fixing a front wing can be chopped to then be fixed into the rear.

I've not taken a picture of mine under the boot but I have some patches of rust starting, not like yours but just small circles in the gully.... It's an area that I alway wax and clean especially on my other classic I had since the water likes to sit there.
Old 17 March 2013, 02:48 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
Here's a good site for reference and product.

http://www.frost.co.uk/

Also this is the stone chip that's going under mine before painting.

http://www.wurth.co.uk/product/stonechipprotect

From looking around I've also read that the front arch is an identical curve and size to the rear so if the rears are damaged beyond economical fixing a front wing can be chopped to then be fixed into the rear.

I've not taken a picture of mine under the boot but I have some patches of rust starting, not like yours but just small circles in the gully.... It's an area that I alway wax and clean especially on my other classic I had since the water likes to sit there.
Yeah I've looked at front arches but the part between the door and the arch on the left will also need changing so I'll have to seriously look into it. The corner under the boot worries me, its not like changing a strip to change a corner....
Old 17 March 2013, 02:54 PM
Silver Scooby Sport
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could do with finding a smashed 2 door shell that you can get the bits you needs off really? I would be tempted to get the rear screen taken out when you fix that corner as that rust my well be around the back of the glass then you will know 100% you beat it
Old 17 March 2013, 03:47 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
You could do with finding a smashed 2 door shell that you can get the bits you needs off really? I would be tempted to get the rear screen taken out when you fix that corner as that rust my well be around the back of the glass then you will know 100% you beat it
There aren't many 2doors being scrapped though, people seem to hang onto them for dear life lol.
Yeah, the rear window will come out, I'm just itching to get started really.

Has anyone ever used this...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250ML-HAMM...item19c84622b0

Last edited by Kwik; 17 March 2013 at 03:52 PM.