Excited new member!

Search this Thread

Old 18 March 2013, 07:54 PM
Flymo21
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excited new member!

Good afternoon all,

I have browsed scoobynet for a while now just out of pure interest and gain more knowledge about scoobs.

The time has come to sell my 2001 Toyota celica and get something more exciting.

My friend has a blob eye scooby, and theres no doubt that after doing several hundred miles in it that my next car should be a subaru.

I have had some conversations with people that have owned, or been close to one, and i have heard mixed opinions, but generally bad which makes me sad...

Ill be looking at the classic scoobs when i come to buy next month, and i just wanted an opinion on weather they are really as bad as people are making out. Id love to have a project to get stuck into, but im also very busy with my other hobbys, and they do take up 99% of my time.

I guess what im really after is a classic modded scooby with about 300bhp, thats reliable (within reason) that i can just hop in at the weekends and love.

Please could you give your honest opinion, although being on a scooby forum it will probably be pretty bias, but you guys are the closest to them and will know them inside and out.

Cheers, Fly.
Old 18 March 2013, 08:12 PM
Norman Dog
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flymo21

Ill be looking at the classic scoobs when i come to buy next month, and i just wanted an opinion on weather they are really as bad as people are making out. Id love to have a project to get stuck into, but im also very busy with my other hobbys, and they do take up 99% of my time.
Bad in what way?

Yeah, the Classics had cheap and nasty interiors etc. and the newest you'll get will be around 13 years old, but there are still some well looked after examples if you take your time and have a good look around.

They do have a bad image though, as do all Imprezas.
Old 18 March 2013, 08:18 PM
Flymo21
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Norman Dog
Bad in what way?

Yeah, the Classics had cheap and nasty interiors etc. and the newest you'll get will be around 13 years old, but there are still some well looked after examples if you take your time and have a good look around.

They do have a bad image though, as do all Imprezas.
Reliability...

I dont mind the old interior really, would'nt be much left of it anyways after i have my way I'd keep it in if i bought a blob or hawk eye.

I have seen some very good examples around with low ish milage.

I just dont want to buy one and 2 months down the line the water pump packs up or turbo s**ts itself.

Its no fun. haha.
Old 18 March 2013, 08:23 PM
logger
Scooby Regular

Well ive yet to have a bad day. Bought my new age wrx in sept and did 10k trouble free. Sold it at the start of this month as ive got an offer i cant miss on my mates 04 sti ive seen a few classics that look sweet on here and nearly went for one. But as its gonna be a daily runner i wanted the newer feel inside of the car. I had a celica GT4 before and the scoob was slower but a nicer drive. Plus my head doesnt touch the roof lol. Buy a good one from here and you wont look back
Old 18 March 2013, 09:25 PM
irondrew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flymo21
Reliability...

I dont mind the old interior really, would'nt be much left of it anyways after i have my way I'd keep it in if i bought a blob or hawk eye.

I have seen some very good examples around with low ish milage.

I just dont want to buy one and 2 months down the line the water pump packs up or turbo s**ts itself.

Its no fun. haha.
Difficult question to answer that though to be honest. It's virtually impossible to say what will happen to any car at any given time. But, they are good cars. I wouldn't have one otherwise. Like anything, look after it and you will be fine. Good luck hunting!
Old 18 March 2013, 10:55 PM
Flymo21
Scooby Newbie

logger - Ill be sure to hunt for a decent one. If i get one i plan to poly bush it, coilovers (if its not already on them), some chassis bracing, decent wheels and tires, strip a few parts here and there to save the pounds, bascally set it up for track use. Then ill just hunt for power. it will always stay clean and serviced regularly. Id like to get my hands dirty restoring the factory feel if you get me, just replace tired geometry parts and all. Im looking forward to it!

Irondrew - I just hope my luck isnt like the other cars i have had :L Fingers crossed the lord will be on my side this time Chances are i will buy one from the forum.

Cheers for the posts guys.

Last edited by Flymo21; 18 March 2013 at 10:57 PM.