ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

A few minor problems and a puzzler

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2013, 08:06 PM
bigmac1531
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few minor problems and a puzzler

I've recently bought a T reg UK turbo. its a bit of a project for me to get it back to it's former glory.
anyway, a few things arent 100% so i thought i'd ask the experts (thats you guys by the way) for their advice.
first issue is that it really struggles on start up, it fires but takes a few pumps on the revs to get it running properly. once its fired up properly its fine and theres also a bit of smoke/steam on first start up too. i'm hoping this isnt anything to worry about as it goes when warm.
secondly, i can smell burning oil when stationary but i cant actually find a leak. i had a similar issue on a scooby i owned a few years back and it was the oil pump which had vibrated loose creating a small leak but i could see that whereas this one i cant.
and lastly which isnt actually a problem more of a puzzler, its completely standard except for a rather large backbox but this thing is rapid! its a lot faster than my last one and that one had minor mods. like i say not a problem just cant work out why
i think a spanking set of good leads and plugs may help with the start up issue but i thought i'd ask on here first to see if anyone else has any other ideas first.

Last edited by bigmac1531; 19 March 2013 at 08:42 PM. Reason: different title
Old 19 March 2013, 11:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The startup could be anything from plugs, (badly gapped, old, burnt, dirty), to plug leads (breaking down) to air filter clogged, to throttle valve stuck/dirty.... etc

As for the oil smell, when the engine is cold, feel around the bottom of the driver's side cam cover to head joint. My bet is it'll be oily: the oil drips onto the headers and the burning smell is it rising.