Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advice before buying first Scooby.

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2013, 10:12 PM
TomF
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice before buying first Scooby.

Hi all.

Tried posting this earlier and dont think it worked! Anyways I just wanted to say I've always loved scoobys and now i'm reali looking into buying one but would reali appreciate sum advice from the experts first! I'm looking at 54-55 plate WRX saloon.

Firstly what sort of MPG am i looking at, especially around town and motorway. What are ppl getting from theres, and i've read they have to run on super.

What sort of costs should i expect for yearly maintenance.

And any other advice on costs or anything else i should bare in mind.

Many Thanks!!
Old 19 March 2013, 10:44 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TomF
Hi all.

Tried posting this earlier and dont think it worked! Anyways I just wanted to say I've always loved scoobys and now i'm reali looking into buying one but would reali appreciate sum advice from the experts first! I'm looking at 54-55 plate WRX saloon.

Firstly what sort of MPG am i looking at, especially around town and motorway. What are ppl getting from theres, and i've read they have to run on super.

What sort of costs should i expect for yearly maintenance.

And any other advice on costs or anything else i should bare in mind.

Many Thanks!!
Hi mate,

As much as I'm not wanting to sound 'off' at all, if these are the 3 main important factors for you when buying a new car, I would really consider getting something less costly to run than a Subaru.

Anyhow, to answer your questions. I'll assume that your after a standard Sti and I'll go for a blobeye sti (just using what I have as an example lol).......

Mpg will be anything from about 20-30mpg depending on how its driven, less than 20 if you're giving it some beans. I always run mine on Super. I think if you have a performance car like an impreza, you should run it on super unleaded no matter what spec it is.

Yearly maintenance depends on the mileage of your car and if its due any big services. Interim services are relatively wallet-friendly though. Cambelt change ranges from between about £250 - £ main dealer prices. If you're unlucky enough for the headgasket to go, its about £1500 - £2000. Not a cheap job! Obviously being a performance related car, things like tyres / brakes / clutches etc will wear a bit quicker and cost more to replace than your average family wagon.

I would deffo buy the best, lowest mileage example you can afford(obvious??). Pretty sure theres a buyers guide on here somewhere too mate. Certain examples hold their value very well also i.e 22b, RB320, P1 etc so might be worth forking out the extra for one of these....depends what you're after really!!

Last edited by Peedee; 19 March 2013 at 11:23 PM.
Old 19 March 2013, 11:09 PM
TomF
Scooby Newbie

Hi PeeDee,

Cheers for replying! After re-reading my post i see where your cumin frm so my bad on that one. All i'm tryin to do is find out the real facts and figures that ppl such as yourselves come across for running this car, before i decide to take the leap!!haha. Is there anywhere i can find a service schedule for these motors?
Old 19 March 2013, 11:21 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TomF
Hi PeeDee,

Cheers for replying! After re-reading my post i see where your cumin frm so my bad on that one. All i'm tryin to do is find out the real facts and figures that ppl such as yourselves come across for running this car, before i decide to take the leap!!haha. Is there anywhere i can find a service schedule for these motors?
Haha really no worries mate!!

The mpg figures differ car-car really. I have a jdm blobeye sti. Its had a powerstation remap and a full miltek system w/sports cat. MPG is pretty low, I would estimate around the 20-25 mark cruising at 70ish. However, the JDM has shorter gear ratio's, so that won't be helping. WRX's have better fuel consumption, but are slower on the 0-60 times. Sti's are well worth the premium if you ask me. For not a great deal more, you get better brakes, better performance, nicer body styling etc etc plus the extra kudos for having an sti.

I take my Subaru to Paul @ Extreme Scoobies. Woulden't take it anywhere else. Anyhow, heres his price list. Some places are cheaper, but you pay for what you get imo!!

http://www.extremescoobies.co.uk/servicing.html

Hope this helps mate.
Old 20 March 2013, 01:45 AM
matt31127
Scooby Regular

£1500-£2000 for head gasket.what are thay made out of soild gold
Old 20 March 2013, 02:01 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

gotta remember theres 2 head gaskets thats being done rather than 1
Old 20 March 2013, 02:08 AM
matt31127
Scooby Regular

do you have to do both off them ?
Old 20 March 2013, 08:15 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Head gasket is an engine out job on the boxer engine I do believe
Old 20 March 2013, 10:00 AM
daz b
Scooby Regular

Hi,I get around 18 mpg out of a 03 sti,cambelt needs to be changed every 4 years or so.Costs for me are quite low as mine is only a summer weekend car,if you are going to do high daily miles then you will get better mpg but all your servicing & maintance costs will increase a lot!!

Last edited by daz b; 20 March 2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 20 March 2013, 10:38 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

My wrx when unmodified and my daily I got 280ish miles to a tank driving sensibly so about 28.......when I started playing with the car it soon dropped to 22mpg but I only use it at weekends now so its more of a toy.

All I can say regarding running costs....pay the extra! I used a mapper from on here that was a bit cheaper and with 100 miles I had a entire engine rebuild on my hands! Unfortunately it was early in my days of subaru so was unaware of all the companies available..... But with a new block required and everything to go in it my local stealers took me for £7500!!! Use the best mapper you can....if your going to go that route!!
Old 20 March 2013, 09:18 PM
crin766
Scooby Newbie

I had a sti and got fed up with the insurance. Started at 800 and went up to 900 before you added the intrest for monthly payments. And im 28, married, homeowner, seven years ncb etc etc!

Had a good think about it and although I had 280 bhp the 7 mile drive to work was usually spent behind some old bird. And so I did the unthinkable. .. sold it and got a gx!!!

It has the full kit mind so looks the part but is 300/ year to insure. I must admit I miss the dump valve but have just as much fun and bought a hot tub with the change. :-D

I do think you need to own at least one turbo though so I dont want to put you off. Just make sure the insurance is do-able and as for running costs:

Your gonna chew through some rubber but other than a standard service you shouldnt have too much to worry about if you buy one with FSH. imho this is a must and you need to use super which isn't cheap but I got way more mpg than in my supra and 2.8 z3.

Where in devon are you?