ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The STi has gone

Search this Thread

Old 26 April 2001, 02:32 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

After 3 years and 50k miles it has come to the point where I say goodbye to the Sti. It has been fun. I have really enjoyed the car and particularly the track days, but not the vandalism & justifying the repair bills.

Looked at a new Sti, but only briefly - Don’t want the aggro anymore. Also cost of company car tax next year (got to be close to 35% on emissions) – (28,500 x 35%) x 40% = £4000 a year out of my pocket.

So I have gone for something completely different – A Skoda Octavia 1.8 turbo L&K. Leather, climate, whistles, bells & ***** + one of the best sound systems I have come across. Quiet, refined & very comfortable. Certainly no Sti round the corners (or down the straights!) but it had to be something completely different for me not to hanker back to the ‘old days’. Finally my car tax bill will be a fraction over £1,200 a year!

I will do my best to resist the desire for a briar pipe, tweed cap and driving gloves but its hard at the moment with Foot & Mouth stopping me using the enduro bike.

Anyway to the point of my post – I must say a heartfelt thank you to those that have helped me over the last three years. Particularly a group who’s name I cannot mention but also Pete Croney, Autosportif and the enthusiasts I’ve had the pleasure of talking to and sharing the experience of an exceptional car.

All the best to those of you that remain loyal – There is certainly not another bunch quite like you!