Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

What is it with the "No Offers" on forsale threads?

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2013, 04:11 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What is it with the "No Offers" on forsale threads?

Searching through forsale threads, cars in particular at the moment, and it seems that quite an increasing amount of people are stating
no offers
within the advert.

Am I getting old, or is the fun in haggling, or trying to pay what you think that car is worth or even tailoring the price to your budget a thing of the past these days?

I'm on the search for a car, and yet I'm instantly put off when the advert states ie: £5'995 no offers, especially when you feel the car is over priced! So my possible offer of £5'750 is no good then?

Rant over
Old 09 May 2013, 04:13 PM
Turbo Tone
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too many people have been watching Mike Brewer on Wheeler Dealers and now fancy a go as a car salesman.
Old 09 May 2013, 04:20 PM
Jazzy Jefferson
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob Day
Am I getting old, or is the fun in haggling, or trying to pay what you think that car is worth or even tailoring the price to your budget a thing of the past these days?

I'm on the search for a car, and yet I'm instantly put off when the advert states ie: £5'995 no offers, especially when you feel the car is over priced! So my possible offer of £5'750 is no good then?

Rant over
Presumably because they keep getting offers that are lower then they want
Old 09 May 2013, 04:22 PM
L.J.F
Instructing with fear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing worse than when someone tries low balling you with a silly offer or the ones who try offering you less over the phone before they have even seen the car!! Also can't stand it when they say "it's a bit out of my budget"-well go look at cars that are within your budget!
Old 09 May 2013, 04:37 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Rob, I think they're just not interested in selling, and / or cannot accept that their car isn't worth what they're asking for it. Personally, I also think it gives off an air of being inflexible, so I wouldn't even bother contacting someone who had that kind of mindset - plenty of cars for sale at the moment.
Old 09 May 2013, 04:50 PM
his-n-her-scoobs
Scooby Regular

Same here. Been looking for a Clio 182 lately as an economical second car lol.

Lots of overpriced rubbish around, especially with all the usual crap mods. As I have the facilities to put most things right within reason I am willing to look at anything as long as it is for the right price.

But "no offers" sends me straight to the next add. Come across these people before and I'm not prepared to waste my time. Loads more cars out there begging to be sold rather than broken.

Old 09 May 2013, 05:03 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

I remember once selling a car and after the price stated "will haggle". The number of people who rang and asked to speak to Will was staggering.
Old 09 May 2013, 05:11 PM
need4speeduk
Scooby Regular

Because it's a forum where you sell things and state a price. It's not fecking eBay where it allows you to occasionally make a best offer.

It's not just cars for sale, it's everything. Even if you put something up for £15 (for example) someone will PM asking if you'll take £12.

No mo fo. The price is the price. You want it you pay it, otherwise jog on.

Just my opinion but personally it gets right on my ****
Old 09 May 2013, 05:23 PM
Wild Thing
Scooby Regular

Tescos don't accept offers. Why should the private individual. No offers does get on my wick. If they want to sell the item anyone with an ounce of sense will listen to a sensible offer
Old 09 May 2013, 05:29 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

My view is that if you want something to sell, price it properly.

I NEVER view anything that I think is overpriced, and if I view and don't think it worth it then I'm out of there.

If I think it is then unless I'm interested in more than one I'll buy it there and then, for the asking price.

If in general sellers were realistic, buyers wouldn't be expecting the goods to be overpriced and hence thinking that haggling can commence.

I once had an argument with an Estate Agent.
They valued our house at a certain figure and informed us within a couple of days that a potential buyer had offered 10% less. I said no and the estate agent said "well everyone adds a bit on, knowing that they'll be beaten down a little. It is worth what's been offered".
Tough - they valued it, they sell it at their price I said.

It worked as well.

Finally, what is the point of 'no offers' ?
Surely you can turn down an offer at or after viewing?
After all, you might find a buyer who realises that the goods are worth the money.
Old 09 May 2013, 06:57 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

It may be that they've already tried selling the car and had morons making "offers" without seeing the car in the flesh how anyone can have the cheek to keep trying to knock you down on something they've never seen astonishes me.

Mick
Old 09 May 2013, 07:08 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Going by the responses I feel the majority agree with me, in that its frustrating, and off putting.

An example of a JDM bugeye STI I bought a few year ago, I so it on eBay on a bidding auction, I negotiated a price over the phone to buy it outside eBay (frown all you like). When I got there he had lost the service book, and the mot had expired, yet the advert stated it had 2 months mot with full service book. Miffed as I had caught the train to buy it, I negotiated on the price (both parties satisfied), bought it cash there and then, mot'd round the corner (passed fortunately) and pottered off home. I later contacted the Subaru dealer and got a copy of the service where it had a replacement timing belt.

The moral here is that a price was agreed, yet I still had to barter.

Generally 90% of adverts are not 100% correct/truthful,, whether a seller knows or not, the fact remains it happens. Therefore for a seller to state no offers the car needs to perfectly as described! How many cars have you looked a where there are imperfections that a seller has failed to disclose in the advert, ie " curbed wheels", "body damage", "smoking engine", "non FSH", blah blah

Anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I guess I just find it annoying.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Day; 09 May 2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09 May 2013, 07:12 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
It may be that they've already tried selling the car and had morons making "offers" without seeing the car in the flesh how anyone can have the cheek to keep trying to knock you down on something they've never seen astonishes me.

Mick
It's easier to get the price right first than it is to travel hundreds of miles to see a vehicle and then find out they wont budge on price.

We've just agreed the price on a car we're going to look at tomorrow. I'm more comfortable going to see it knowing if it's as described I'll be coming home with it.

If it's not as described, I'll be asking for it cheaper than agreed or walking away, well driving actually
Old 09 May 2013, 07:15 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

I agree with all of the above mate, I've never sold a car yet and got the full asking price but it does annoy me that every time you sell a car now (forums and PH for me) people always want money knocked off without even viewing the car, I don't understand how you can get money off something sensibly priced when they haven't bothered to view said car.

Don't even get me started on people texting/emailing to buy a performance car/bike instead of picking up the phone lol

Mick
Old 09 May 2013, 07:20 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Cars are only worth what a buyer is prepared to pay. So if you're price is higher than the buyers maximum buying price would you rather they traveled hundreds of miles "in the hope" you will reduce it?

Personally, if someone had traveled miles without negotiating first, I'd be expecting the asking price!

Not a good way to buy a car IMHO.

If it's local and you can come back again, then fine but for long distance sales, get the price sorted first.
Old 09 May 2013, 07:21 PM
daveyorks
Scooby Regular

i think its even worse when people dont have a price on something and they just say "offers" i just move on
Old 09 May 2013, 07:22 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

The thing is though, I would never put a car up for sale at the amount I feel it's worth/would take. Put a few £££'s on and state nearest offer, everyone likes to think they're getting a good deal and enjoys getting a few quid knocked off the advertised price. I'm like a few others in that I'll negotiate the price before I travel and tell them that if as described I'll pay the agreed amount.

Aaron
Old 09 May 2013, 07:31 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Agree you would want to have a price in mind if travelling a long way to view a car, I suppose my main gripe stems from trying to sell my bike last month, had nowt but daft offers through emails without anyone actually viewing it, best one was a lad from down south who emailed to say "2100 is too rich for me I'm travelling a long way so send me your address and I'll come at the weekend and give you 1400"

I wouldn't ever try selling something not as described as I couldn't be bothered with the agro but you do come across some realins when buying/selling motors lol

Mick
Old 09 May 2013, 07:31 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I avoid the no offers brigade too, **** em!

Funny thing is they end up dropping the price 9/10 times.

My philosophy is "if you don't ask you don't get" and it's saved me thousands over the years, I ALWAYS ask for a discount, even yesterday I bought some cement and got 10% off, not a lot in the greater scheme of things BUT every little helps, personally I think only mugs don't ask and pay full price for everything, must have more money than sense.
Old 09 May 2013, 07:37 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by need4speeduk
It's not just cars for sale, it's everything. Even if you put something up for £15 (for example) someone will PM asking if you'll take £12.

No mo fo. The price is the price. You want it you pay it, otherwise jog on.
I'll give you £10, a bag of Haribo's of your choice and 20 tabs for a complete, not fubar'd EJ22, Matt.
Old 09 May 2013, 07:50 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105
Support Scoobynet!

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
Don't even get me started on people texting/emailing to buy a performance car/bike instead of picking up the phone lol

Mick
I bought my last car having just sent a few text messages.

Went down to RAF Marham to pick it up.
Old 09 May 2013, 07:58 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

It works!

The car we're looking at tomorrow was on Ebay for £3995. I'd looked at a few similar cars with that mileage/spec, etc and thought £3500 was nearer the right price, for me anyway.

No deal. Not open to offers. So I left it, then it got reduced to £3750, so I messaged again, saying I was still interested at £3500. Again, no deal, £3650 is the lowest.

Got another message today after not replying to the last one. £3500 lol.

Going to buy it tomorrow.

I generally offer the most I think it's worth and that's that.
Old 09 May 2013, 08:30 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My point exactly, they always end up reducing.
Old 09 May 2013, 08:32 PM
big_joe
Scooby Regular

I quite like "no offers". Why not just cut out the bull**** an put it up for the price you want?? At least you're not wasting anyone's time, you've put your price and if its too much people can look elsewhere. It could also suggest to me that the car is loved and a reluctant sale because it could mean the seller is confident the car is worth what its advertised for.....with no hidden surprises. That being said....I'd still be making an offer anyway
Old 09 May 2013, 09:11 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx
I bought my last car having just sent a few text messages.

Went down to RAF Marham to pick it up.
I must just be old fashioned

Congratulations

Mick
Old 09 May 2013, 09:28 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

It's probably to stop the **** takers who offer £6k for a car advertised at £10k, wasting both peoples time.
Old 09 May 2013, 09:50 PM
wrx9181
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct ^^^
And plenty of them on here
Old 09 May 2013, 10:15 PM
Justme103
Scooby Regular

What ever car I have advertised for sale I always get the "Whats your lowest price" questions over the phone.

I recently advertised an 03 plate Golf 1.4 Match, FSH, In very tidy condition apart from a scratch on passenger side (That I mentioned in the advert).

Put it up for £1500 & put no offers in the ad, It was priced cheaper than all the rest on Ebay they were £2000.

First person that came to see it bought it & I still had the calls asking how much would I take!!
Old 09 May 2013, 10:47 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
I avoid the no offers brigade too, **** em!

Funny thing is they end up dropping the price 9/10 times.

My philosophy is "if you don't ask you don't get" and it's saved me thousands over the years, I ALWAYS ask for a discount, even yesterday I bought some cement and got 10% off, not a lot in the greater scheme of things BUT every little helps, personally I think only mugs don't ask and pay full price for everything, must have more money than sense.

Haha you sound exactly like me ill always ask for discount no matter what it is, as you said in the grand scheme of things those few pennies or pounds soon equate to something
Old 09 May 2013, 11:11 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aaron1978
The thing is though, I would never put a car up for sale at the amount I feel it's worth/would take. Put a few £££'s on and state nearest offer, everyone likes to think they're getting a good deal and enjoys getting a few quid knocked off the advertised price. I'm like a few others in that I'll negotiate the price before I travel and tell them that if as described I'll pay the agreed amount.

Aaron
I think that's a very sensible view.

Quick Reply: What is it with the "No Offers" on forsale threads?