looking after a scooby

Search this Thread

Old 28 June 2013, 10:48 PM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking after a scooby

Hi guys another newby question.

are there any key points vital to a new scooby owner, im going to be spending over my budget to buy, over my budget to run and over my budget to insure, dont get me wrong i know im going to absoloutly love it and it will be worth every penny. just don't want to make any school boy errors and end up up s**t creek without a paddle.

many thanks
Old 28 June 2013, 11:01 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossberry
Hi guys another newby question.

are there any key points vital to a new scooby owner, im going to be spending over my budget to buy, over my budget to run and over my budget to insure, dont get me wrong i know im going to absoloutly love it and it will be worth every penny. just don't want to make any school boy errors and end up up s**t creek without a paddle.

many thanks
You've kind of fallen at the first hurdle dude in all honesty. I'd advise to keep saving until you have a 'fix fund' I.e a wedge of money to sort the subaru out if it goes wrong or something wears and needs replacing. Running a subaru on a very limited budget or getting into debt over one is a bad move!!
Old 28 June 2013, 11:36 PM
Bezza
Scooby Regular

haha apreciate the advice, i was exagarating there, basically i mean gonna be spending a fortune on my new toy dont want to make a stupid mistake that will cost me when it could be easily avoided. things like warmin up and cooling down how long you talking, running 99 octane, recommended times inbetween oil changes ect ect.
Old 29 June 2013, 01:32 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Yes 99 fuel only. Will run on 95 off boost but only as a last resort, no need to sit and warm it up, just take it gentle off boost for a little bit will you see the water and oil warm up. If you have been driving hard or long trip let the car cool by driving gentle for the last mile or if so allow the car to sit and idle (Allows the oil and water to circle the system) for a few moments. I change mine very 5k, again if you drive the car hard its worth doing more often. But depends on your budget, it's best to service it more often than not but depends if you do it yourself or send it to the garage.
Old 29 June 2013, 01:35 AM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Peedee
You've kind of fallen at the first hurdle dude in all honesty. I'd advise to keep saving until you have a 'fix fund' I.e a wedge of money to sort the subaru out if it goes wrong or something wears and needs replacing. Running a subaru on a very limited budget or getting into debt over one is a bad move!!
+1
Old 29 June 2013, 07:21 AM
Scooby Regular

You can run a scooby on a shoe string budget if you've got a bit of mechanical knowledge yourself and are handy with a set of spanners, so if you've already got some basic knowledge and a decent tool kit you shouldn't have any problems. You've already made a good step by finding this forum, it's full of knowledgeable people (and the odd nobber) who really know their stuff and will be able to help you with most problems you might have.

However if you're one of these people that just turns the key and expects it to go, and doesn't have a clue what goes on under the bonnet other than checking the levels then, yeah, you might have fallen at the first hurdle as Peedee says
Old 29 June 2013, 10:32 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

As said there are a lot of people in the know on here. Never be afraid to ask if someone takes the P!55 then ignore them. You can also do a search for post's that may already be done about any questions you have.

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2013, 10:51 PM
Peedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rossberry
haha apreciate the advice, i was exagarating there, basically i mean gonna be spending a fortune on my new toy dont want to make a stupid mistake that will cost me when it could be easily avoided. things like warmin up and cooling down how long you talking, running 99 octane, recommended times inbetween oil changes ect ect.
Ah ok mate, I'm with you!

Well, in regards to warming up, I guess there's no real 'textbook' answer as such. Personally, I start mine, leave it running for about 30 secs and then drive steady for the first few miles until it gets up to normal operating temperature. For cooling down, I drive the last mile or so in the highest gear at the lowest possible rpm. I live on a hill so I can do he last half mile or so in neutral which is my cool down before I turn it off. Some folk have turbo-timers fitted so they can walk off instead of sitting there waiting for it to cool down!

As for servicing, I just follow the service schedule set out by subaru, can't go wrong. No doubt you'd probably need more regular oil changes if you have a heavily modified car or you track it a lot, but my car only has a map and full system so I stick to what subaru say!