Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Some more help (Classic STI related)

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2013, 09:55 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Some more help (Classic STI related)

So thanks for the help last time guys re: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...confusion.html

Didnt go with that V2, nice looking car but as some of you said - well overpriced!
So I guess Im new to the Scooby ownership (or to be should I say).
Im picking up a 1998 Version 4 STi Type R next weekend.
The car has been owned by a member on here and I know the 2nd owner whom I am buying the car from also.

Few questions, I've tried to eliminate as much as I can by doing as much reading as possible this past month or two.

1). Drivers side corner lip (3 piece one) is missing, how hard is it to obtain this piece or will I have to source a whole new genuine lip kit? If so, where?

2). The car has been in the country now for some time and has not been mapped. The previous owners have always run it on V-Power is it ok to continue to do this? Or am I best to have it mapped?

3). As per Q2, if the answer is mapped, I've gathered the V4 ECUs have trouble with mapping and so an Aftermarket ECU is required. A few guys I work with used to work on Jap stuff and have told me to go with the Power FC regardless of people on here going on about Simtek? What plug ECU do I need 3 or 4 plug? Obviously there is also a big price difference between the Simtek and Power FC. And Im more biased towards Power FC anyway for two reasons, my Dads R33 GTR has it. And there is a mapper known as 'The Dentist' local to me who is extremely good with them.

4). How bad are the headlamps? As ive heard they are crap.

Thanks in advance for the help, sorry if they are any stupid questions.
If in doubt just give me a slap.

Kyle.
Old 29 June 2013, 10:05 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good choice of car ( i love mine )

1: try Impreza breakers but if you want new then I would guess you would have to get it from Japan for the OE version although there may be a few bodykit sellers that could get the same style e.g. HT Autos

2:It should be fine on 99 RON fuel but always worth getting it on a dyno to see how it's running.

3:Power FC is ancient technology,first generation Simtek is poor imo (I have one and don't like it),there is Alcatek and a new Simtek. There is ESL (Enduring Solutions) who do a daughterboard for the ecu and it seems to be very popular and is the cheapest good option.
You will need 3 plug you can check by looking under passenger footwell for ecu.

4:Headlamp are crap you can improve them with better bulbs,later model headlights but basically they will still be poor.

Last edited by myblackwrx; 29 June 2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 29 June 2013, 10:12 PM
Dreep
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, so maybe the Power FC isnt a good idea anymore?
I did think about maybe swapping over the front bumper to a 22b style one cause they do look nice, but im still undecided. Ive always messed around with all my cars and Im looking to just keep this fairly simple.
This is its spec.

Roger Clark air filter/ induction kit
Roger Clark red anodised lightweight pulleys
HKS dump valve
SAMCO radiator hoses
WALBRO 255 stage 2 fuel pump
TEIN coilover kit
Excedy Pink clutch
Custom exhaust system with sports cat (so no worrying about emissions on the MOT)
Equal length manifold
Old 29 June 2013, 10:22 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look in my garage there is my Type R with a 22B style bumper.

http://8378simtek.wordpress.com/ (old Simtek now called Alcatek)
http://www.simtek.co.uk/ (new Simtek)
http://www.enduringsolutions.com/

Induction kits are normally only fitted if there is a FMIC and the dump valves aren't popular on here (do a search for various threads about them )