Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

2.5 Hatch with PPP - should I ???

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2013, 11:17 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2.5 Hatch with PPP - should I ???

Having missed a lovely forged hatch this week (being out of the country), I am potentially looking at a Prodrive equiped car (similar price/ age) - under 30k miles / 2008
Having read pages and pages of threads on exploding engines -
Should I even consider this vehicle??
Does the PPP reduce the risk of the ring land failure? or is this, like the 330s just a ticking time bomb with a 3k repair bill looming in the wings??

Serious comments please !

Oh and if you have a forged hatch with under 40k on the clock you might want to sell for sensible money, drop me a PM

Thanks
Old 14 October 2013, 11:21 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No difference between the ECU map of a PPP and a 330S

These cars do have 'issues', but it really is a lottery, some seems good, others seem bad.

I myself had a 330S, I sold it recently with 25K on the clock and issue free.
Old 14 October 2013, 12:01 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

If the 'joy' of owning and driving one outweighs the fact that every time you get in it you will be wondering if it's engine pop time and if the engine does pop you need £3K to 'fix' it plus suffering all the inconvenience of not having the car for several weeks at least then go for it.

If not then buy something else as there are plenty of other nice cars at the same sort of price plus you don't need £3K in the bank for when they go pop!

I know which I would do and it doesn't involve buying the Subaru!
Old 14 October 2013, 12:13 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

As above, lottery as far as if it goes boom, doenst matter how many miles or how well treated they can still let go.

Personaly i'd get a forged one, or find one with a blown engine and have one built for piece of mind, some of the tuners can help you with this.
Old 14 October 2013, 01:16 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a hatch with a factory-forged engine and it is a blissful thing. I do not worry about it exploding and I enjoy the extra shove that is on tap.

Yes it is a lottery on the hatches and many are problem free (we have seen 100k miles examples sold on SN) but I would wait until you come across another forged build or consider budgeting for the build in your price range. For me it would seem too much of a risk unless I had a watertight warranty or a few grand lying around to spare!

Ultimately you are always going to have that niggling doubt in your mind if you buy a non forged model, even if you subscribe to Subaru's belief that the problem doesn't exist!

A lot of people come on here asking for advice and are in a real hurry to buy a car, just chill out do your homework and get the one you want it'll come up if it isn't around right now
Old 14 October 2013, 10:03 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Wise words - I was being a bit hasty, thinking about the PPP one, I was just caught up in the purchase after getting all keyed up for the forged one which I lost out on.

Thanks guys - I will take my time and wait for the right one to come up - I'm sure there are a few forged ones out there..

Ian..
Old 14 October 2013, 10:35 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

I regularly scout the ads seeing what's going down!

I suspect you're not after a Cosworth - the engines on them have had a lot chucked at them, there are a couple of these on the market at the moment - but forged hatches seem to come up about once a month to once every two months.

There are obviously forged hatches and forged hatches, some have got a set of forged pistons and some have got the full works chucked at them with connecting rods crank and bearings etc. As I said, a forged 2.5 is a fantastic unit and gives you peace of mind.

If you want to broaden your horizons you may wish to consider a JDM hatch with the 2.0 twin scroll engine but I would point out that the majority of them over here are Spec Cs which are a little rawer compared to the standard model (though much more refined than the difference in Newage cars). But they are cracking cars and some high spec ones are knocking around (Hurst Cars sold a very high spec Type 20 Litchfield hatch recently).

Don't give up due to scarcity the hatch STi is a beast of a car, what you're looking for will turn up.

Trending Topics

Old 14 October 2013, 11:10 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Two that I've found seem to be current, two have recently sold.

One down in Surrey (with some dodgy side graphics and a daft looking exhaust) and one that I have previously seen in the flesh at Graham Walkers have both sold.

However this amusingly advertised example is up for sale

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifie...engine/1715641

Not sure where he gets his 0-60mph figures from, or the price but it is funny to see that he's mentioned the names of lots of other unrelated cars in his advert title. Nice lol.

The other is on Autotrader and not much attention is drawn to it but it seems to have a sensible price and a nice spec, might be worth an enquiry and/or look

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...mc-cars-EAF004
Old 15 October 2013, 05:04 AM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks for the continued support,
Cosworths are a bit out of my price range (14k), and the price of these I am almost knocking on GTR money..
I missed one forged one in Sussex ( that had graphics on the side - but looked exactly what I wanted - right price too, and from a very reputable SN member too).

I also saw the two you have shown links to - the white one is way too expensive for an 08 plate with 52k on the clock - I didnt expect to have to pay the owner for all the mods at full retail ! -
The other one is too far from me to visit and view, plus has a few more miles than I would like.

I would hapily go for a JDM but think they would be to expensive for me, I do watch the stock at Hursts.

Cheers again for the advice - have been without a scooby for 3 years so a few more months wont make a big diference - will just wait for the right one