Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

ADVICE on an 03 impreza engine rebuild please!

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2013, 07:21 AM
marc lee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ADVICE on an 03 impreza engine rebuild please!

Hey guys, I haven't posted for a little while because my beloved impreza has been testing for almost a year until I decided what to do with with it. Last year after a major overhear due to a corroded radiator it developed internal detonation problems thus leading to my engine being opened up. ... Now I'm not a pro when it comes to cars so please don't give me any technical terminology, but 2 of my stock pistons need replacing therfore needing a full set. Iv opted for cosworth pistons and rods because the price difference isn't that substantial compared to subaru parts and im very happy to have a more resilient and reliable engine. But my MAIN question to you guys is, even though my crank is supposedly ok, is it worth getting a forged crank too???? I don't plan to up the HP to an astonishing level as i have other priorities in my life at this time. but i love the thought of knowing my car is at a good "base level" if ever I wanted too . Thanks in advance people.
Old 02 November 2013, 08:15 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

While it's out get as much done as you can afford to do. You'll save in the long run.

You can almost guarantee whatever you don't do will need doing shortly after the engine goes back in.

Alan Jeffery enginetuner would be a good place to start.
Old 02 November 2013, 08:16 AM
Markfey
Scooby Regular

While it's out get as much done as you can afford to do. You'll save in the long run.

You can almost guarantee whatever you don't do will need doing shortly after the engine goes back in.

Alan Jeffery enginetuner would be a good place to start.
Old 02 November 2013, 08:34 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by marc lee
Hey guys, I haven't posted for a little while because my beloved impreza has been testing for almost a year until I decided what to do with with it. Last year after a major overhear due to a corroded radiator it developed internal detonation problems thus leading to my engine being opened up. ... Now I'm not a pro when it comes to cars so please don't give me any technical terminology, but 2 of my stock pistons need replacing therfore needing a full set. Iv opted for cosworth pistons and rods because the price difference isn't that substantial compared to subaru parts and im very happy to have a more resilient and reliable engine. But my MAIN question to you guys is, even though my crank is supposedly ok, is it worth getting a forged crank too???? I don't plan to up the HP to an astonishing level as i have other priorities in my life at this time. but i love the thought of knowing my car is at a good "base level" if ever I wanted too . Thanks in advance people.
Depends on your funds and how much you are prepared to spend,but if your crank is ok I would not really bother changing it.really you need to be having this kind of conversation with who ever is doing the work for you.SJ.
Old 02 November 2013, 12:15 PM
b3nmw
Scooby Regular

Just make sure u take it to a good garage, otherwise u r just pissing ur money in the wind
Old 02 November 2013, 12:40 PM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping

Hi Marc

Your crank question is an easy one to answer, all you need is a good stock Subaru one. As long as it checks out nicely, it'll be fine.
You can't go wrong with Cosworth parts, although being fair it's the build quality that's most important.
If you consider a ready built short block is the best way to start, give me a call!

(01752 345880 business hours)