ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

anyone know this car

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2013, 11:10 AM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone know this car

hi peeps thinkin of jumping bck in to a scooby its a Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRX STi hawk eye Type UK 4dr +396 BHP +££££ SPENT+19" ALLOY from garham walker sports and prestige bumpers lane chester reg number F19 JDC any one know its history its up for £12950 many thanks
Old 06 November 2013, 11:29 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, first thing you need to find out is, does it have forged engine internals.

If not, then run away as fast as you can.
And 13K for a 7 year old Subaru seems a bit high.
Old 06 November 2013, 11:48 AM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It certainly looks the part and the engine bay is very tidy looking.

http://www.grahamwalker.co.uk/subaru...hester-3021085

Unfortunately there is no mention of forged internals on the advert I think you'd have to enquire and find that out.

And without being a snob, try and find out who did it. Then google their name or search on here, make sure it was done by someone reputable. It's good to hear names such as Engintuner Plymouth, API, Finch, Scoobyclinic, Roger Clark, Powerstation, Litchfield but to name a few... there are many more.

You're looking for forged pistons, bearings and head gaskets bolted down with uprated studs, and ideally forged connecting rods, uprated oil pump etc. And the remap should have come after all that was fitted.

If it's running standard internals then that engine will shît itself as you drive it home!
Old 06 November 2013, 12:06 PM
wrxjay03
Scooby Regular

thanks for that guys i will ask about forged internals but i bet the garage won't know jack !!! i just don't wanna travel all that way for nothing ! do you guys think its a risk at that money then ?
Old 06 November 2013, 12:20 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

re-read what thenewgalaxy has written. If you can afford to throw 13 grand down the drain, go for it. Not quite sure what else you need to know regarding the forged engine
Old 06 November 2013, 01:13 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxjay03
i will ask about forged internals but i bet the garage won't know jack !!
I've dealt with Graham Walker - they sold me an absolute minter of a car that ran like a dream and they were an absolutely top bunch to deal with.

I can't comment on their servicing department but I would imagine they'd be able to tell you everything about the car, when I was there all the cars had the service history placed into a folder of bills and receipts etc.
Old 06 November 2013, 01:33 PM
Scooby Stevo
Scooby Regular

front splitter hanging off near wheel - thats £500 off
Old 06 November 2013, 01:39 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

The ad also states that its running a reliable 419 BHP.
Old 06 November 2013, 01:50 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by urban
The ad also states that its running a reliable 419 BHP.
Maybe or maybe not with the rev limiter set to 3000rpm
Old 06 November 2013, 02:01 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Could buy a hawkeye JDM for that sort of money
Old 06 November 2013, 02:03 PM
scooby2.5maz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxjay03
hi peeps thinkin of jumping bck in to a scooby its a Subaru Impreza 2.5 WRX STi hawk eye Type UK 4dr +396 BHP +££££ SPENT+19" ALLOY from garham walker sports and prestige bumpers lane chester reg number F19 JDC any one know its history its up for £12950 many thanks

Blimey ! Give us that and you can have my hawkeye Sti that's fully forged and sleeved and 14mm conversion !!
Old 06 November 2013, 02:15 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

I have a hawk sti running around 320-340 bhp on a standard bottom end with no forging apart from the standard forged pistons (not as good as an aftermarket forged).

My standard headbolts stretched slightly putting air from the cylinders into the water system causing the engine to over heat on the odd occasion (common fault on the 2.5).

Like already metioned the headbolts should be upgraded to high tensile studs and a good pair of gaskets should also be fitted at the same time, I went for cosworth gaskets and ARP head studs along with a low temprature thermostat.

There are plenty people running 400-450 bhp on standard internals, as long as the engine is set up well in most cases there is no problem. The con rods tend to bend/break first before a piston will go.

If I end up keeping mine I am getting it de-catted and going for a further map to 370-380 on standard internals.

Last edited by BillyBrown; 06 November 2013 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06 November 2013, 02:41 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BillyBrown
I have a hawk sti running around 320-340 bhp because I daren't run any higher than that on a standard bottom end. I run the standard hypereutectic cast variety that are fit as standard and known for going to **** quite regularly on these cars (not as good as an aftermarket forged).

I had head gasket failure which is well known to these cars whereMy standard headbolts stretched slightly putting air from the cylinders into the water system causing the engine to over heat on the odd occasion (common fault on the 2.5) isn't it daft that Subaru never sorted this issue?

Like already metioned the headbolts should be upgraded to high tensile studs and a good pair of gaskets should also be fitted at the same time, I went for cosworth gaskets and ARP head studs along with a low temprature thermostat.

There are plenty of Blobeye 2.0 STi people running 400-450 bhp on standard internals, as long as the engine is set up well in most cases there is no problem. The con rods tend to bend/break first before a piston will go. If you run a standard 2.5 anywhere near this it will explode because some would say a more than significant number of these engines have problems handling the stock 280.

If I end up keeping mine I am going to take a risk by getting it de-catted and going for a further map to 370-380 on standard internals.
EFA

By the way my Hawk engine exploded out of warranty
Old 06 November 2013, 02:53 PM
BillyBrown
Scooby Regular

Class mate! Yeah I might take the risk lol

Just going off what I have heard from a couple of garages. I know the 2.0 is meant to be superior to the 2.5 power handling wise.

I haven't had any other issues with mine, only got 43k mind you. Tempted to go and buy a p1 and get rid of the 2.5? It's the first Subaru I have owned and with the miles and the way it drives it doesn't feel like a 6-7 year old car.
Old 06 November 2013, 03:15 PM
MattyB1983
Scooby Regular

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

The only time I'd buy a 2.5 would be if its already forged or the price is cheap enough to allow a forged build.
A 2007 hawk with standard engine at 13K is neither of those things.
Old 06 November 2013, 03:48 PM
thenewgalaxy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BillyBrown
Class mate! Yeah I might take the risk lol

I haven't had any other issues with mine, only got 43k mind you. Tempted to go and buy a p1 and get rid of the 2.5? It's the first Subaru I have owned and with the miles and the way it drives it doesn't feel like a 6-7 year old car.

Mine went at 38k unfortunately. Absolute ball ache too was without my car for ages.

The p1 is a lovely car but a lot rawer. Stick 340bhp in that though it'll absolutely go, they're around 150 kg lighter off the top of my head.

You could always get a hatch and forge that though, best car IMHO

The way Subarus grip and handle they'll never feel their age. Even the classics with their spartan interiors feel like they were built five years ago if looked after properly.

I love the 2.5 if done properly, with a forged set of everything it's a beast with a wide torque band and can handle 400-odd with the right turbo and set of injectors.