ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New Member Saying Hi

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2013, 05:57 PM
Kenny_Powers
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Saying Hi

Hey folks, I've been reading bits and bobs on this site for a while and thought it was about time I said hi!

I have been a Jap car enthusiast for quite a few years. My last few cars were an FTO Mivec, MR2 Rev 2, and Celica T Sport. About a year ago I finally became the proud owner of a 56 plate WRX SL in black.

I kept the WRX standard for quite a while but I've now been bitten by the "I want more power and meaner looks!" bug and can feel a wallet busting new year coming! Styling wise, I've already treated the car to a set of 18" Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's, in gloss black, and I have ordered an STi 8 style rear spoiler from Scooby World.

Performance wise, I have fitted an Afterburner Raptor backbox, Afterburner mid section, and Cobra 2nd decat pipe on it, as well as a K&N panel filter.

The next purchase is going to be a sports cat downpipe and a Walbro fuel pump.....and then I will be ready for the remap! Or will I? I'm considering upgrading the turbo to a TD05-18G-8 but am not really sure about that yet. Do you think that the remap without the turbo upgrade will be that much of an improvement over the standard car, or will I be wishing that I got the turbo upgraded too?

I'm also trying to decide where to have the remap done. I'm from Hertfordshire but moved to South Wales last year, initally to Usk but now living in what local people call the "posh part of Newport". As far as I can see, I have two fairly local options. There is Power Station in Tewkesbury, which is about an hours drive, or Indigo GT in Tredegar, which is about a half hour drive. Can anyone on here recommend one of these tuners over the other, or are they pretty much alike?

I would love to just go nuts on the car and say money is no object, but after buying a PS4 and Xbox One last month, the wifes patience is wearing a bit thin, hence me thinking that the turbo upgrade may need to wait. I already had to buy her a Dyson Digital Slim to sweeten her up after me buying the new alloys! Don't say anything to her lol, but the Dyson is just as useful for hoovering out my car interior as it is for her doing the stairs, so my motives for forking out on an overpriced vacuum cleaner were not totally out of consideration for my wife!
Old 20 December 2013, 06:03 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 135 Likes on 99 Posts

Hi Kenny whatever mods you decide to add get them altogether then pay for one remap.you also have Bob Rawle up at Swindon as good as any.
Old 20 December 2013, 07:31 PM
Kenny_Powers
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave. Yeah I totally get what you are saying, no point in paying £550 to have the car remapped for the air filter and exhaust only to have to pay for another one at a later date when I carry out more mods. I was thinking of getting a VF43 turbo but Scooby World sell a Kinugawa TD05-18G-8 for £700 so that's about £500 less than I have found a VF43 for. I haven't heard anything bad about Kinugawa turbos either. The Scooby World website says that the TD05 they sell is specially manufactured for them by Kinugawa but I'm not sure if the unit is any different from the ones that a Kinugawa sell on eBay for £500.

I get my hair cut by a woman in Usk called Karen who owns an RB320, reg FLY, in case any of you have seen it around, and she mentioned that she uses Bob Rawl. I have heard nothing but good things about him but my car is due it's 50k service, which is the cambelt one, so I really wanted to just take it to one place and have the service and remap done at the same time, hence me considering either Powerstation or Indigo GT. Does Bob Rawle do servicing or just tuning?
Old 20 December 2013, 08:37 PM
dnc
Scooby Regular

Welcome Kenny!

I think an 18g mapped to its full potential will kill your 'box. Get some expert advice before pursuing this, there are some very helpful people on here that will give excellent advice and save you plenty.

A remap with decat but without turbo upgrade will transform the car. Only you can judge what makes sense.

Last edited by dnc; 20 December 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 20 December 2013, 10:21 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Bob only does mapping
Old 20 December 2013, 10:30 PM
faz27
Scooby Regular

welcome to scoobynet pal its a really friendly helpful community here just dont mention wrc sticker kits or dump valves and youll be fine lol... again welcome
Old 20 December 2013, 10:42 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Pop along to the Welsh section and introduce yourself over there, we don't bite honestly.

As for mapping I've used Bob Rawle on numerous occasions and he's very good, as for Indigo GT quite a few in the Welsh section have used them and found them very good indeed.

If you are looking for a one stop shop then you won't go far wrong with Indigo, or you have Three Arches Garage in Cardiff which is run by two very experienced ex Subaru main dealer technicians.

I know Bob maps cars for them so perhaps you could arrange everything to be done at once with them.

And there's Ace Motorsport in Blackwood which is run by an ex Prodrive WRC technician as well.
Old 20 December 2013, 10:43 PM
Dave Y
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

There you are Kenny spoilt for choice
Old 06 January 2014, 10:10 PM
Kenny_Powers
Scooby Regular

Hey folks, thanks for the warm welcome and advice. I haven't been online since before Xmas due to laptop being destroyed by spilling a bottle of bud all over it, but that's a whole story on its own.

Anyway, as far as the car goes, I have got it booked in to Indigo GT on Friday next week for the 50k service, installation of decat downpipe and Walbro fuel pump, and a remap. Decided to leave the turbo upgrade for now, so the mods that will be on the car when it is mapped are Afterburner full decat system with raptor back box, K&N panel filter, and Walbro fuel pump.

Indigo have quoted me 3-4 hours labour for the fitting of the downpipe and fuel pump. I was just wondering if that's normal, as I did think it seemed a little excessive? The service is costing £499 and includes cambelt pulleys and tensioner, so I thought that was very reasonable considering that Keith Price Subaru quoted me £510 without the pulleys and tensioner.

I'm sure I will be more than happy with Indigo GT's work as have heard nothing but good things about them. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 07 January 2014, 08:46 AM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder
Pop along to the Welsh section and introduce yourself over there, we don't bite honestly.

As for mapping I've used Bob Rawle on numerous occasions and he's very good, as for Indigo GT quite a few in the Welsh section have used them and found them very good indeed.

If you are looking for a one stop shop then you won't go far wrong with Indigo, or you have Three Arches Garage in Cardiff which is run by two very experienced ex Subaru main dealer technicians.

I know Bob maps cars for them so perhaps you could arrange everything to be done at once with them.

And there's Ace Motorsport in Blackwood which is run by an ex Prodrive WRC technician as well.
+1.

Everyone seems to be coming to Wales.

I live about 10 miles from Tredegar, so pm me if you fancy a bit of company and/or transport back and forth Kenny.
Old 07 January 2014, 01:52 PM
Kenny_Powers
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LuckyWelshchap
+1.

Everyone seems to be coming to Wales.

I live about 10 miles from Tredegar, so pm me if you fancy a bit of company and/or transport back and forth Kenny.
Nice one LWC, I may just do that. Hopefully there is a Mac D's or something locally. I imagine that I will be at Indigo for most of the day with everything that's being done. Obviously want to be present for the remap but will leave them to it while they do the other stuff. Nothing more distracting than having a customer hovering around watching you while you are working on their car!
Old 07 January 2014, 03:12 PM
LuckyWelshchap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kenny_Powers
Nice one LWC, I may just do that. Hopefully there is a Mac D's or something locally. I imagine that I will be at Indigo for most of the day with everything that's being done. Obviously want to be present for the remap but will leave them to it while they do the other stuff. Nothing more distracting than having a customer hovering around watching you while you are working on their car!
McD's, KFC, transport cafes, burger stands, chip shops, kebab houses, Chinkies, Indians, pubs.

Why do you think Nye Bevan - onetime MP for Tredegar - created the NHS ?