ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

some advice i have water coming in the car

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2014, 03:27 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some advice i have water coming in the car

i have water coming in the boot luckily i have noticed straight away,if i pour water here

it comes in here any idea's thanks in advance
Old 14 January 2014, 03:30 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your lights still stuck in with the black goopy stuff?

I take it it's just passing behind the light and running down?

I would remove the light, clean it up and put some new jollop on to seal it back in

Mick
Old 14 January 2014, 03:34 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Worlasshasansti
Are your lights still stuck in with the black goopy stuff?

I take it it's just passing behind the light and running down?

I would remove the light, clean it up and put some new jollop on to seal it back in

Mick
yes the black stuff is still there i did start to remove the light but run out of time
Old 14 January 2014, 03:38 PM
Cpt Jack Sparrow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

goopy

jollop

Old 14 January 2014, 03:43 PM
Worlasshasansti
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by farmerwrx
yes the black stuff is still there i did start to remove the light but run out of time
When you have time, if you pull the light out you should be able to see where the water has been passing the seal, if the rest is still tacky you could just clean and dry the metal work and put something like instant gasket on where the water has been passing the gasket stuff.

Mick
Old 14 January 2014, 03:47 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

When you have time, if you pull the light out you should be able to see where the water has been passing the seal, if the rest is still tacky you could just clean and dry the metal work and put something like instant gasket on where the water has been passing the gasket stuff.

Mick
thank you very much very helpful
Old 14 January 2014, 03:53 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

another remedy is stop pouring water there ( sorry couldn't resist as I don't think many people go out pouring water on there cars )

just my opinion
Old 14 January 2014, 05:15 PM
imprezaworks
Scooby Regular

very clever ^. Im going to hazard a guess and say he noticed when either washing the car or after its lashed down.
Old 14 January 2014, 06:25 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The rear lights are a design fault on classics. The runoff from the roof and rear screen runs down the boot shutlines and straight over the rear lights.

The original black sealant eventually gets full of crud and starts letting water through.

Remove all the nuts off the light fixing inside the boot, disconnect the wiring and pull the light out: it may take some force to dislodge the sealant that is still adhering.

Now clean off as much of the old sealant as you can: use an old flat-blade screwdriver, lolly stick etc to get it off the light unit and the car. Finish off with white spirit.

Once cleaned up, lay a good thick bead of this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40 in an unbroken line round the light unit. Use a thickness of about 10-15mm.

Press the light unit back into place and replace and retighten nuts..do not overtighten, it's not needed.

DO NOT use stuff like silicone, Tiger Seal, SikaFlex etc to reseal lights. If you ever need them out again, (accident, etc) you'll be struggling with those three. The Carafax is a non-setting mastic used in the caravan industry, specially made for this sort of thing.

If you have a half decent caravan dealer nearby, they may stock it.
Old 22 January 2014, 01:37 PM
farmerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
The rear lights are a design fault on classics. The runoff from the roof and rear screen runs down the boot shutlines and straight over the rear lights.

The original black sealant eventually gets full of crud and starts letting water through.

Remove all the nuts off the light fixing inside the boot, disconnect the wiring and pull the light out: it may take some force to dislodge the sealant that is still adhering.

Now clean off as much of the old sealant as you can: use an old flat-blade screwdriver, lolly stick etc to get it off the light unit and the car. Finish off with white spirit.

Once cleaned up, lay a good thick bead of this stuff: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40 in an unbroken line round the light unit. Use a thickness of about 10-15mm.

Press the light unit back into place and replace and retighten nuts..do not overtighten, it's not needed.

DO NOT use stuff like silicone, Tiger Seal, SikaFlex etc to reseal lights. If you ever need them out again, (accident, etc) you'll be struggling with those three. The Carafax is a non-setting mastic used in the caravan industry, specially made for this sort of thing.

If you have a half decent caravan dealer nearby, they may stock it.
Thank you very much your a gent