Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anybody know of a good twisty road in Wales

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2001, 05:22 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got any information about a good long twisty road in Wales ?
Iv'e had my Scoob now for 2 months and I am dying to get a decent drive out of it.
I live in flat, boring Lincolnshire where a run up a sleeping policeman gives you altitude sickness ( Yes really that flat ! )
All you EVO readers out there must have seen the lovely shots of Scoob's n Mitzy's, in the valley's. I remember someone writing to EVO once and asking them where they tested, but the only response was just "Wales".

Any idea's ?
Old 27 April 2001, 05:53 PM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Cool

The 'Evo triangle' were they do a lot of their tests is in North Wales.

The road in the STI vs Evo VII test is further south. I'll have to look up on the map whereabouts to refresh my memory. We drove it last year in a couple of Caterhams and Elises and went back for more and more.

It was the best road I have ever driven in the UK .......

Following corner is the very same one as the Evo photos - you don't forget it in a hurry....

Old 27 April 2001, 06:02 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Thanks Marc, very helpfull.
Would be gratefull if you could supply a few more details, even just an "A" rooad number would do. Am thinking of traveling to Wales soon to shred some tarmac.

Mixit

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Marc W:
<B>The 'Evo triangle' were they do a lot of their tests is in North Wales.

The road in the STI vs Evo VII test is further south. I'll have to look up on the map whereabouts to refresh my memory. We drove it last year in a couple of Caterhams and Elises and went back for more and more.

It was the best road I have ever driven in the UK .......

Following corner is the very same one as the Evo photos - you don't forget it in a hurry....

[/quote]

Old 27 April 2001, 06:13 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

This road is the top end of the Elan Valley, to the west of Knighton. Stunning road.

But surely the question should be "Does anyone know of a straight road in Wales?"
Old 27 April 2001, 06:15 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Question

I'm going to be driving the EVO triangle this Sunday.

If anybody knows of the location shown in the above photo could they please send me an e-mail to: andym172@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Andy.
Old 27 April 2001, 06:19 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Couple of <B>really challenging</B> ones are:

Tregaron to Abergwesyn (west of Builth Wells)

and my favourite, just north of Merthyr Tydfil.

Cefn Coed to Talybont on Usk then on to Llangynider and back south to the Heads of the Valley.

Richard
Old 27 April 2001, 06:20 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks Pete

Great help. You may think it's sad, but I am concidering taking a day off, just to drive this road ( all the way from Cambs!! )

Mixit

Trending Topics

Old 27 April 2001, 08:35 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Hiya local buddy

The A44's a good, fast road, getting progressively narrower and twistier the nearer you get to Aberystwyth. Brother lives there, so he provides the excuse for excursions on that bit of road

Richard
Old 27 April 2001, 08:52 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks Richard

Where are you from?
Which part of Cambs ?

Mixit
Old 27 April 2001, 11:27 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

Hey Andy,

You figured it out yet?

Don't forget the sweet stuff! lol

Old 27 April 2001, 11:39 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Wink

Lou_C

Hello.
Do you know about the "EVO triangle" ?
He says in a hushed voice .
Old 28 April 2001, 12:04 AM
CharlieWhiskey
Scooby Regular

mixit: Just look in the Midlands section, we are off to Wales on 12/13th May for a 2 day tour & camp.
It will use some of the best roads around but I can't tell you which yet

Chris

[This message has been edited by CharlieWhiskey (edited 28 April 2001).]
Old 28 April 2001, 12:25 AM
owbow
Scooby Regular

Wink

They're all twisty!!!

Owain
Old 28 April 2001, 12:00 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

I have to disagree with you now peeps....the photo looks like a favorite corner of mine known as "Tro'r Gwcwr" or "Cuckoos bend" near Llandeilo......awesome roads before and after........e-mail me for more info if you like........I am local after all

David
Old 28 April 2001, 01:51 PM
Lou_C
Scooby Regular

mixit,

i don't know about the evo triangle, but I'm hoping I'm gonna find out tomorrow!

Louisa
Old 30 April 2001, 02:22 PM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

not 100% sure but I think the road in my photo was the A4069 going north from Brynamman

Marc
Old 30 April 2001, 02:43 PM
Christian_Driver
Scooby Regular

I agree with Marc W - I believe the photo is the road over the Black Mountain past Brynamman, just as the road starts to drop descend after the car park on the top.

That road is one of the best in Wales IMHO...

Christian

Old 30 April 2001, 09:03 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Why dont you boys listen to me.....LOL

The road IS between Brynamman and Llangadog, over the black mountain. This is approx. 5-10 minutes from my house.....I know!!!!

If anyone wants a guided tour... just let me know......you can try and follow me

David
Old 01 May 2001, 09:47 AM
Marc W
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

DAVE-W you lucky, lucky man!

Fancy doing a house swap on the odd weekend?
Old 01 May 2001, 01:38 PM
markcp
Scooby Regular

I'm also from South Wales and my favourite road has to be the B-road between Brecon and Builth Wells (can't remember what its called) which passes through the Epynt military ranges.

Its full of awesome corners, all types of cambers, steep rises; everything really! The only thing I'd say is to watch out for the hidden dips and the grazing sheep!

Believe me, this road can really push your car to its limits!
Old 01 May 2001, 01:54 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

.......Epynt - second that!! watch out though its effing quick over the ranges - I was in a 3 door Sierra Cosworth rallycar, navigating when we went off at 100mph - nothing to slow u down - by the time that we stopped rolling all was left was the floor pan, roll cage and two seats - we were lucky to walk away...... the engine was on fire but fortunately was 100 yards further up the stage

oh and the A44 from Worcester to Aberyswyth is a cracker I defy anyone to get to Aber quicker than me - I know it like the back of my hand

Old 01 May 2001, 05:08 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

RSquire - thanks for telling me about that Tregaron road. Drove it from Beulah on the A483 up to Tregaron on Sunday with a couple of other cars and it is definitely the toughest road I've been on. Going over blind crests into sharp downhill rights with a 150ft drop to the left and barely enough room for one car let alone two is a bit scary, but bloody good fun! Love those 1st gear uphill hairpins, sheep & lambs on the road, and it now has zero grip straw foot-n-mouth disinfectant mats strategically placed on corners to induce maximum understeer - certainly made me grateful for 4wd scoob power. I didn't try the other road but I'll be back soon

The whole thing was like a tough 20 mile rally stage basically, but with oncoming cars and no pace notes. An R32 Skyline also did that road a little bit behind, and at one point got airborne sideways and landed in a hefty puddle & nearly went off the road into a 100ft drop. All this and I don't think anyone even broke the speed limit - great stuff!

Markcp - I did that road too & it is a cracker, nice visibility too so you really floor it. Unfortunately I had a problem with my brakes so had to back off part way through, but I will be back to give it some welly the whole way next time.

Dave W - wish I had read your post before I set off, you have mail!
Old 01 May 2001, 10:03 PM
DAVE-W
Scooby Regular

Smile

Matt,

Not had your mail mate.......

........that road is damned good though

LOL

David
Old 01 May 2001, 10:42 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all the info Guys. ( Speshly Dave.W ).......... will post details of when I intend to go. Seems Iv'e opened a big can o worms !!!
Any more stuff would be great, particularly anything on Cash machines ( cameras )
Old 01 May 2001, 10:59 PM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Matt..

Glad you enjoyed it.. You really don't need to be going that fast on that road to scare yourself ****less do you???

We used to run that road as a stage on Castrol / Motoring News events years ago.

As far as I remember the uphill hairpin sequence was rightly called the Devils Staircase

<B>If any one else tries it then for God's sake take it easy the first time. Particularly on a summer weekend. Best time ,once you know it, is late at night or very very early morning. </B>

matt.. on the other road <B>Beware</B> the right hand downhill hairpin at the top of the Torpantau.. Unless you like brown car seats Again watch for oncoming traffic on summer weekends.

&lt;edit&gt; OBTW.. The second road is the one that I banged my car on last november and I've been driving it since Adam was a lad.
Richard

[This message has been edited by rsquire (edited 01 May 2001).]
Old 01 May 2001, 11:06 PM
Richard Gledhill
Scooby Regular

Glad you agree about the A44 - fantastic stretch, real climax getting towards Aber

mixit - e-mail me and I'll give you details about some of us Cambridgeites, rather than posting here publicly You should come to our Cambridge meets!

Richard
Old 01 May 2001, 11:29 PM
matt d
Scooby Regular

The A44 is great - possibly the best touring road in the country? Definitely the best route from SE England into Wales if you're not in a hurry, and not too many gatsos yet unlike the A40. Just E of Evesham there's a spectacular uphill multiple hairpin climb called Fish Hill, with an overtaking lane the whole way up - great fun for sliding when it's empty (there is enough space in case you spin), and overtaking cars on the outside when it's not. Just watch out for plod on the way up (v tempting to floor it on the gentle bit) and the tight hairpin left at the top. And be careful if you do it downhill!
Old 01 May 2001, 11:31 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Richard.

Will mail you tomorrow, PC at home has no Outlook, so Hotmail is a pain.
Thanks for the input on Welsh roads. Can't wait to try em all !

Mixit
Old 02 May 2001, 11:48 PM
mixit
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks to everyone who offered info....... Great Help
Old 03 May 2001, 10:28 AM
Nigel A
Scooby Regular

Hello all.

Being a native Welshman I have spent many an unforgettable day storming around Wales in various cars including Mark 1 RS2000, Lotus Sunbeam, Mk1 Golf GTI,Integrale, Scooby and most recently EVO VI RSX.

I took the day off work last Friday and did a 7 hour stint from Sussex (where I now live) to Wrexham via Aberystwyth (just for the hell of it!) in the EVO and you can count the number of other cars on the road on the fingers of one hand once you are into the wilds of Wales!

Travelling north from the M4 at Swansea my first port of call is always Brynamman. The drive over the top of the Black Mountains on what is now the A4069 is sensational and I have never ever found a better road in the UK. Note that the run down the other side is very hard on brakes and I suffered fade in my Scoob to the extent that I nearly became a bit too closely acqainted with the scenery at the hairpin at the bottom of the hill (thankfully not a problem in the EVO).

There are too many great roads to list in one post but I will list another 3:

1. A44 towards Aberystwyth
2. B4520 North of Brecon; and finally
3. B4391 south of Bala

The last one has a hair-raising run down a twisty road with a wall of rock on one side and a spectacular drop on the other - ensure plastic seat covers in place and watch out for sheep!

If any of you see a white EVO VI on any of the above, be sure to give me a flash.

Cheers

Nigel

Quick Reply: Anybody know of a good twisty road in Wales