View Single Post
Old 18 July 2010, 09:17 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Like the media, scoobynet it seems, is no different in the way posters on here, blow everything out of proportion.

Scoobynet (NSR) has become, for me, a glorified second hand news reporting service with badly quoted snippets and articles. Almost cut and paste journalism if you like, with the most 'alarming' and 'news worthy' threads jumped on with an almost feverish speculation. What ever happened to the days when people could read the stories, digest the news, discuss topics in an open and friendly manner and make an informed choice ?

Honestly, you would think this forum was populated by Daily Star readers who lap up the latest 'gossip' and then pass it on in a manner of a Pub in Fleet street filled with old newspaper hacks.

Most popular topic of the moment is Apple. A company that was once nearly bankrupt and all but dead and buried. A reversal of fortune has seen this company grow from virtually nothing into one of the most feted and high profile tech companies in modern history.

For the majority of you lot on here (who are not life long Apple users ), that is no big news because until more recently, you were not affected by their advertising, their products or indeed their whole company ethos.

For all those long time users of Apple products, you all know exactly how at times it is both frustrating and exciting to be a user of a niche market share company's offerings. Anyway I digress.

Then the launch of the iMac, followed by the iPod, iPhone and finally the iPad happened and suddenly Apple is once again a big player in the Consumer world. The average man in the street cant escape the advertising that they produce and it has thrust the company firmly into the limelight.
Apple has produced, without doubt, one of the most prolific and successful, continuous streaks of captivating winning products for years.

Try and think of any other company that has done the same in the last 5-7 years.

And suddenly Apple is the one company to hate, the one that people would to see have a fall, for whatever reason but certainly fuelled by the media.

Then along comes their most recent and by far the most popular product they have ever sold to date. And it has a flaw.

In all the reporting (not on here ), you would think that this flaw is a deal breaker, a disaster over looked by one of the most design conscious companies going. Yet when prompted to provide an explanation and fix within 3 weeks , the company has responded. To put this in perspective, when Toyota was alerted to the flaw in their car design, how long did it take before the recall/flaw was addressed ? And remember this was a 'life threatening' design flaw not one that is best described as inconvenient.

Now, whilst their explanation and fix may not sit well with the small % of users affected by this, it certainly goes a long way in addressing the problem. And they are not alone in having this problem, as widely reported by many sources.
I could quote several websites , but I am sure most of you have read them already.

At the end of the day, I think the best way for the consumers out there and the forum users on here to make a well informed choice is to do this.

Read the reports, chat to your knowledgable friends, test drive and trial your chosen products and if it does what you need, then buy it. If it does not or is faulty, then simply take it back.

That would be refreshing.