View Single Post
Old 06 October 2010, 05:08 PM
martin850
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In at last.

Well after a bit of a break due to the weather my install is complete. I am really happy with how it has turned out and also more importantly how it sounds.

Below is a brief write up on how I created my rear shelf.

I first had to remove the rear seats (two bolts on the base and four on the back, the back part has to be lifted off as it is on hooks. I also had to remove the C pillar covers to get the shelf out but these are just fitted with push fittings and a good tug got them out.

The shelf is held down by three push fittings at the front and also four which are out of view unless you look in from the boot.

With the shelf removed you can see the holes better that the 6 x 9 magnets will go into and also this will allow you to remove the radio ariel booster box thingy (if you don't have your ariel on the A pillar ).

With a bit of maneuvering I was able to refit the booster in a nice gap at the front left of where the shelf will be and bolted it in using one of the push fit holes which also allowed me to secure that side of the shelf when re-fitting.

Next was the shelf itself, I started out buy cutting out the 18mm MDF spacers for the 6 x 9's and worked out the positioning. I angled my speakers up at the back a bit using the ridge of the shelf and once I was happy with the placement I checked the holes would be in the right place it marked it out on the shelf and got cutting.

I used the speakers to check the holes were big enough and that the clearance was good enough on the boot springs ( mine touch slightly but don't effect the boot lid operation or cause any vibrations) Once I test fitted ,trimmed ,test fitted ,trimmed a few more times I was happy and screwed the spacers to the shelf.

To tidy up the shelf I bought some 20mm medium density sponge (£5 form Dunelm Mill) and cut it out to fill in the gaps between the spacers so it looked a bit more factory fit.

Once I was happy with the fit I used black acoustic carpet to cover the shelf and cut out the holes for the speakers, middle seat belt and rear shelf vents.

All that was left then was to wire it to the amp and re-fit the shelf and all the interior trim and rear seats. I put some left over sponger under the shelf for a bit of support and sound deadening as suggested by Jon.

While I was at it I also fitted a new set of components in the front doors. I used to have 15cm Infinitys but changed to 16.5cm MTX THS652 Thunders and they are awesome.

I had to make some 18mm MDF spacers and also had to change the wiring throughout the whole system as the original front speakers had some really thin speaker wire and the power cable was installed with the fuse in the boot

I hope this helps anyone who was thinking about putting 6 x 9s in their newage the sound clearly isn't as good as having a sub but if you need the space or to save weight this is the way to go IMHO.