Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related
View Poll Results: How will you vote in the EU referendum?
Leave the EU
67.45%
Remain in the EU
22.75%
Don't know yet
5.49%
Won't be voting
4.31%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

EU Referendum

Search this Thread

Old 10 June 2016 | 10:11 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

From: Api 500+bhp MD321T @91dB Probably SN's longest owner of an Impreza Turbo

Originally Posted by BMWhere?
To you and I, yes, its a massive amount of money! But compared to the UK weekly budget, even the gross figure pales into insignificance!

Its also very easy to say we can spend that extra money on NHS etc. but reality is, it will all go on the support for the farmers, fisheries, scientific research, universities and regional development that will have lost all the money they get from Europe!
The referendum, was never about the money, it is pretty much last on my list of concerns.

Sovereignty/ control whatever you want to label it as.

This is my desire and Vote Leave will go some way to achieving that.
Old 10 June 2016 | 10:20 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by andy97
The referendum, was never about the money, it is pretty much last on my list of concerns.
Can I have your money then?
Old 10 June 2016 | 10:29 AM
neil-h
Scooby Regular

Sovereignty/ control whatever you want to label it as.

This is my desire and Vote Leave will go some way to achieving that.
I genuinely find the daftness of this statement staggering. We live in a capitalist society, the prime concern should be the economics/money of the argument as it's what makes the world go round. What good is sovereignty if you're in a third world country?
Old 10 June 2016 | 10:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

here is some very good reading on the EU and UK parliamentary sovereignty by Mark Elliot

Mark Elliot is Professor of Public Law at the University of Cambridge, a Fellow of St Catharine's College, Cambridge, and Legal Adviser to the to the House of Lords Select Committee on the Constitution

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/201...-reading-list/

in particular read

what sovereignty actually is

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/201...y-sovereignty/

and how it applies in conjunction with membership of the EU

https://publiclawforeveryone.com/201...-be-sovereign/
Old 10 June 2016 | 11:35 AM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

I think its clear now we have reached the entrenched stage of proceedings, and see every development through a lens. This thread is now losing its value, as Andy says, people have made up their minds now.

Whats not been commented on is the last minute voter registration fiasco. There may will be a legal challenge to it, especially as the Gvmt is paying for Facebook ads specifically targeting the 18-35 group (who coincidentally are perceived as Remain voters). The numbers involved are something like 1.5 million extra votes. Makes me wonder how well checked they are to meet the voter requirements...
Old 10 June 2016 | 11:38 AM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
Can I have your money then?
No you cant

leaving the EU will have a detriment to me financially initially, but I can see there is a bigger picture, so am prepared to accept a little less for a better way and quality of life.
Old 10 June 2016 | 12:23 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

No you cant

leaving the EU will have a detriment to me financially initially, but I can see there is a bigger picture, so am prepared to accept a little less for a better way and quality of life.
Haha, maybe you can spend some of that extra EU money on a new pair of these

Old 10 June 2016 | 12:47 PM
andy97
Scooby Regular

Haha, maybe you can spend some of that extra EU money on a new pair of these
You're entitled to your opinion as am I. Its, just your's is wrong
Old 10 June 2016 | 12:51 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neil-h
From what i saw, the whole program was pathetic. It seems to spend more time in the realms of petty bickering between Izzard and Farage than it did as an actual panel debate (and yeah that bit about how we spend the rebate was hysterical).

That being said, at least Izzard had the hood grace to accept it when he was told to be quiet. Where as Farage would sit there pouting like some scolded child.
I found Izzard an irratating tw@t whose ideolistic populist spiel was bereft of the practicalities of the real world and added very little to the debate. It was as if all he was interested in was saying anything in order to get another round of applause from the audience. I was shouting at the TV telling him to STFU and let someone else speak or at least stay on topic!! Luckily a few audience members told him to shutup, abeit only for 10 seconds or so. He couldn't help himself!
Old 10 June 2016 | 12:57 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by jonc
I found Izzard an irratating tw@t whose ideolistic populist spiel was bereft of the practicalities of the real world and added very little to the debate. It was as if all he was interested in was saying anything in order to get another round of applause from the audience. I was shouting at the TV telling him to STFU and let someone else speak or at least stay on topic!! Luckily a few audience members told him to shutup, abeit only for 10 seconds or so. He couldn't help himself!
Thats exactly why I liked what he did. He was doing exactly what the leave campaigners have been doing for the whole campaign!

This sentence pretty much sums up the whole leave campaign - Thank you!

ideolistic populist spiel was bereft of the practicalities of the real world
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:02 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Thats exactly why I liked what he did. He was doing exactly what the leave campaigners have been doing for the whole campaign!

This sentence pretty much sums up the whole leave campaign - Thank you!
To be fair, both sides in the campaign are guilty. I'm still undecided as to how I will vote.
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:25 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

To be fair, both sides in the campaign are guilty. I'm still undecided as to how I will vote.
If in doubt, have you considered freedom, liberty and self governance as positive messages?
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:26 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Have a look through the comments here for the publics view on Izzard http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36496288

Top rated Izzard related comment...

Izzard on QT consisted of loud and disruptive ad-hominem attacks and promoting one-world marxist government, which is puzzling given half the planet would imprison or execute him for his sexual preference

Props for his charity work, but his performance was a parody of Rik from 'The Young Ones' - the obviously faux-intellectualism he expressed was truly cringeworthy and has done him no favours

Last edited by warrenm2; 10 June 2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:41 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

So now everyone has made their mind up, what shall we talk about now

Going to a BBQ/Euro party this weekend. On a diet right now so I wont be sampling the chargrilled (burnt) offerings but is it still etiquette to bring some along ?

And if England lose the opening match, can I blame the immigrants ?

Old 10 June 2016 | 01:46 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by warrenm2
Have a look through the comments here for the publics view on Izzard http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politic...endum-36496288

Top rated Izzard related comment...
Ah yes, so are they advocating that Izzard would be persecuted for being heterosexual, because that's what he is?

I do agree he was a complete pain in the **** last night, though.
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:47 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

All those people who have been wittering on about the unelected, unaccountable people in Brussels forcing all these rules on us we don't want, can you answer me this please?

Is Nigel Farage not one of these unelected, unaccountable people?

Is he not responsible for accepting these rules we don't want?

Was he not elected by the British people in the European elections?

Is he therefore not accountable to the British people?

Last edited by BMWhere?; 10 June 2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:48 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

If in doubt, have you considered freedom, liberty and self governance as positive messages?
But will we really see that - in actual day to day life?

Will our choices improve? What choices do I not have now that I will have if I vote leave?

Will being out of the EU free our government? - to do what?

I live in Wales which receives a net benefit from being in the EU. If I ignore all the garbage that can't be quantified, the only thing that is true is that Wales receives an economic benefit - so does that mean I should vote to stay in?

At the start I was out all the way, now I'm not so sure.

Edit - just as an aside. Wales received an awful lot of money in the 90s for regeneration from the EU. If you look at most of the outlying towns there hospitals are closing or services lost, the schools look like something from the soviet union but worse. But don't panic, the council offices, in the main, look like castles. However, now the money ran out they work from home as the can't afford the upkeep. One of the unspoken scandals of UK management IMO.

Last edited by EddScott; 10 June 2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:51 PM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SwissTony

And if England lose the opening match, can I blame the immigrants ?

If we Brexit, the Premiership is going to look a bit crap
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:56 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Geezer
If we Brexit, the Premiership is going to look a bit crap
Doubt it as the foreign players will still flock here for the paychecks. It might be a bit awkward when Euro 2020 comes round though .

But like the yanks, we can always have a " world series "
Old 10 June 2016 | 01:58 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received my son's passport in the post yesterday, sporting the normal horrible purple cover with big EUROPEAN UNION branding on the top.

If we leave, I assume that will have to change but can we please have our blue passports back, I liked those .
Old 10 June 2016 | 02:25 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
But will we really see that - in actual day to day life?

Will our choices improve? What choices do I not have now that I will have if I vote leave?

Will being out of the EU free our government? - to do what?

I asked that question 30 odd pages back, how in anyone's day to day life to they feel persecuted by the EU

you still have to MOT and Insure your car - unless by "free" people mean being able to live like a gypsy traveller, and generally not give a toss

the simple reality is, the richer you are the freer you feel

sure the EU banned those old incandescent light bulbs a few years ago, so now I have to use those utterly brilliant LED bulbs - that last 10 years and cost nothing to run

if only I could be FREE to use 19th century technology to light my house!!!!!!!!

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 June 2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 02:31 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

question for these lot .

AbbasSTI, f1_fan, jaygsi, poffer1, SmurfyBhoy, stonejedi, Wurzel
Just curious as to why you are not voting. I appreciate Wurzel wont be as he is half kraut anyway
Old 10 June 2016 | 02:47 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

also on the basis that studies have shown blogs/forums post etc have a "lurker" rate of anything between 80 and 90% has anyone view/mind changed

either in to out or out to in
Old 10 June 2016 | 03:36 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

All those people who have been wittering on about the unelected, unaccountable people in Brussels forcing all these rules on us we don't want, can you answer me this please?
Yes, because anyone with half a brain would already realise the answers
Is Nigel Farage not one of these unelected, unaccountable people?
No, he was elected by people voting UKIP with 751,439 votes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...t_constituency) to the EU PARLIAMENT

Is he not responsible for accepting these rules we don't want?
No, because he gets outvoted

Was he not elected by the British people in the European elections?
Yes of course. As above

Is he therefore not accountable to the British people?
Yes of course. As above.

The point you are seemingly willfully ignoring or are completely ignorant of is how the EU Parliament works. The Parliament can only AMEND, it cannot block or propose new legislation, that is the role of the commissioners who have the sole right to do that. THEY are unelected and is where the true power lies. Watch this for a bit more background http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...eally-rules-us

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
Old 10 June 2016 | 04:54 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

LOL

Old 10 June 2016 | 05:12 PM
ALi-B

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2

sure the EU banned those old incandescent light bulbs a few years ago, so now I have to use those utterly brilliant LED bulbs - that last 10 years and cost nothing to run

if only I could be FREE to use 19th century technology to light my house!!!!!!!!
I'd like to know who banned most of the high VOC paints and varnishes. I'll be dammed if I can get a decent exterior varnish in the UK. Without having to source some excuriating expensive 2 pack marine stuff intended for yacht decking.

Oddly you can get good stuff out in Spain that lasts the cold frost (colder than southern England) and extreme heat and doesn't cost much. So has Spain ignored any EU rules or did the UK self impose them.

And white gloss that goes yellow without enough sunlight....it never used to happen. Please let me blame it on that Van Rumpoy geezer (joke).

It's ironic that you can't get decent timber in Spain to use their superior varnish with. (I'm currently whittling a nameplate made from a piece of my old conservatory...just wet sanding and layering the (Spanish) varnish as I type ).

Last edited by ALi-B; 10 June 2016 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 05:34 PM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Yes, because anyone with half a brain would already realise the answers

No, he was elected by people voting UKIP with 751,439 votes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_...t_constituency) to the EU PARLIAMENT

No, because he gets outvoted

Yes of course. As above

Yes of course. As above.

The point you are seemingly willfully ignoring or are completely ignorant of is how the EU Parliament works. The Parliament can only AMEND, it cannot block or propose new legislation, that is the role of the commissioners who have the sole right to do that. THEY are unelected and is where the true power lies. Watch this for a bit more background http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...eally-rules-us

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
The "Commission" refers principally to two different bodies.

There is the commission of a whole which consists of all the bureaucrats who are unelected, performs the same role as Whitehall and ultimately has no power.

Then there is the commission collage consisting of 28 commissioners, one from each country although pledged to act in the interest of the EU parliament rather than their individual countries. These people do hold the power, but are elected by and answerable to the parliament itself. Their role is analogous to the government cabinet - who are also unelected to their positions by the people, but rather by the governing party.

So you see, everyone who has any power can be held to account. The 28 commissioners are answerable to the parliament and the parliament are answerable to us!

My real point is, if we want to change the EU for the better, then electing people who fundamentally want to destroy Europe may not be the best plan of action! We should perhaps vote for people who want to change the EU for the better without giving them any more powers! Or maybe even just vote for MEP rather than not being bothered and then complaining about the EU all the time!
Old 10 June 2016 | 05:39 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

You need your own man to maintain your varnish work

Either that or you're sucker for punishment / too well off

Anyway schooner gold, fresh coat additional every year
Old 10 June 2016 | 06:08 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

lol,

giving the Euro's a taste of immigration - "tooled up geezer styley"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-36496745

they must wonder why they bother with us at all!!!

I suppose it is nice of us to show them what they will miss if we leave

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 10 June 2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 10 June 2016 | 06:12 PM
ALi-B

Originally Posted by dpb
You need your own man to maintain your varnish work

Either that or you're sucker for punishment / too well off

Anyway schooner gold, fresh coat additional every year
First time I've had off for 8 months, Capt. Pugwash Even then it's a working holiday on somebody else's house!!! Including car repairs/maintained, transporting said car across Europe along with supplies and pets, cleaning, renovation of house, repairs and recommissioning of a swimming pool, installation of CCTV, replacing a shower. I'm almost done now, ready to go home and go back to "work"

I'll stop when I drop dead

And why need to paint it every year? It must be like the crappy UK stuff; What I'm using should be good for 8 years before needing a re-coat (Non-marine). Takes forever to properly harden in the humidity though

Quick Reply: EU Referendum